Empty Refridgerator

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by tronester, Mar 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tronester

tronester Pooh-Bah (1,617) Nov 25, 2006 Oklahoma
    Pooh-Bah

It has been probably 5 years since I have not had a single beer in my refrigerator (Needing to go on a beer run). Between all the homebrew and new releases at the liquor store, I have not been able to drink every last beer in the fridge.

How about everyone else? Do you keep a huge stockpile, or go to the beer store when you want a beer? Or somewhere in between?

2. loafinaround

loafinaround Initiate (0) Jul 16, 2011 New York

stockpile.... there is a short list of brews I really really like... so I buy as many as I can and then titrate them out over a period of months. So, there's a giant stash, with a small pile of brews moved into the refigerator as needed. (translation: family permitting - they're always harping on me for the few beers in the fridge.)

tronester likes this.
  3. kingofhop

kingofhop Initiate (0) May 9, 2010 Oklahoma
    In Memoriam

Fellow Okie, I can't even relate to cellaring. If beer is in my house, it gets drank.

4. gatornation

gatornation Grand High Pooh-Bah (9,502) Apr 18, 2007 Arizona
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

i have a dedicated fridge in the basement for beer and soda it is never out of either

SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  5. Droogins

Droogins Initiate (0) Sep 4, 2012 Massachusetts

I live in a studio right next to the furnace. It never falls below 65 or so in the winter and gets damn hot in the summer. I have to resort to throwing stuff I want to age or hoards I want out of my sight so I don't drink it all (Basically, BCBS, Sucaba, FIS, and a bottle of 120 min) in an opaque Rubbermaid plastic tub and hope the heat doesn't kill it. Apart from that, what does not fit in my fridge is tucked under a table out of the sun. One does what one must.

6. firstlighthiker

firstlighthiker Initiate (0) Dec 26, 2012 Tennessee

Stockpile...yesterday was trying to calculate how many months it would take to get through all in the fridge and adjacent cabinet. Of course, all changes when my college age kids come home.

7. alucard6679

alucard6679 Pundit (997) Jul 29, 2012 Arizona

Not sure I can call it a stock pile, but I usually have 3 or 4 bombers of either beers I haven't tried or ones that I just love. Then usually a sixer of an ipa or pale ale as just an "anytime" option, and the a couple more six packs worth of assorted 12 oz bottles. Sometimes I run out, but usually it stays in that range.

8. JohnQVD

JohnQVD Pundit (829) Jan 23, 2011 New York

I haven't been out of beer for over two years. The size of my stockpile fluctuates, but I generally have a good deal more than can be drunk in a couple of weeks. Right now, we're pretty fully stocked. I have 69 varieties available between the downstairs bar (some in the beer/wine fridge and a bunch in the cabinets behind the bar) and the two boxes cellaring in the garage.

We're dead broke after Hunahpu's Day and so now it's time to stop acquiring for a while. I'm reasonably sure that there will still be some left when I go to London at the end of May for school.

9. fx20736

fx20736 Initiate (0) Mar 7, 2009 New York

I drink, on average 6 bottles of beer each day. I try to keep about 3 cases worth of bottles/ cans in my beer fridge at any one time and a about a case's worth of dark beers in the cellar.

10. HeyJim

HeyJim Initiate (0) Sep 22, 2012 Pennsylvania

I come close, sometimes I'll have an empty fridge if I know I'm doing a beer run later or the next day, but it's rare.

Except for my annual Detoxtober, and even then, there's a good chance I have some kind of stout or Tumbler waiting.

11. lsummers

lsummers Maven (1,251) Jun 21, 2010 California

I always have beers in the fridge. And I make sure to have many different styles as well as many different beers that range from different prices. If it costs more I tend to hold onto it longer. Also there are times when you just want a beer. That's what the sixers of ruthless rye and Levitation is for. When I really want something special with dinner or a movie I grab a bomber of whatever I'm feeling that might have been a bit pricier than usual. I still catch myself not opening a beer because I'm holding onto it for a more special occasion. But I have to ask, what could be more special than say a relaxing sunday afternoon!

12. Ri0

Ri0 Initiate (0) Jul 1, 2012 Wisconsin

I love to go to the store 2-3x a week, so I have a small stock, but I can burn through it in a weeks time.

13. SoCalBeerIdiot

SoCalBeerIdiot Pooh-Bah (2,057) Mar 10, 2013 California
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

[​IMG]

Stockpile. Here is a pic of the beer fridge in the garage from last week. Nearly everything you see here can easily be had at one of the local grocery stores (Ralph's or Von's). Sometimes I go to Bevmo if I want to buy more than a sixer of anything. There is a lot of beer in here but it turns over pretty quickly.

More recently I've been going to local bottle shops to find rarer stuff...

[​IMG]

...here is a pic of yesterday's haul from a couple local bottle shops.

albertq17, jzeilinger and alex_hart like this.
  14. alex_hart

alex_hart Initiate (0) Feb 28, 2013 Oklahoma

nothin crazy, but at least a semi decent selection at the moment

[​IMG]

15. Andygirl

Andygirl Initiate (0) Jan 3, 2013 Michigan

I have a massive stockpile. No beer in the house isn't a concept I understand :grimacing:

SammyJaxxxx and WassailWilly like this.
  16. XnFM

XnFM Initiate (0) Jan 22, 2012 California

I try to stock up just under two weeks' worth of beer each payday, and I make a couple runs to the local bottle shop after work when I'm running low, or there's a specific style I want that I don't have.

I do have a stockpile of beers that I'm sitting on, though most of that is stuff that I would prefer to save for a special occasion rather than just sip at and relax after a rough day at work.

17. Lethal04

Lethal04 Initiate (0) Sep 3, 2009 Colorado

My goal is an empty fridge in the next 6 weeks since I will be moving, but it seems like my stash is always growing at a faster rate than I drink them.

Can't remember the last time my fridge has not had a beer in it, must have been the day I moved in nearly 2 years ago.

18. Eriktheipaman

Eriktheipaman Initiate (0) Sep 4, 2010 California

In the same situation :slight_smile:

19. dennho

dennho Initiate (0) Oct 29, 2006 New York

I moved 12 months ago. The people helping me liked how my beer was packaged and labeled. Around 50 bottles marked "beer for aging" and about the same marked "beer for drinking" (I had let it run down.)

Getting into home brewing now...another category!

20. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Initiate (0) Mar 18, 2010 California

I always have been in the fridge, even though it may be a bottle or two at a time. Right now I have a surplus that I need to work through.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.