Playing Drinking Games With Craft Beer

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by TheGoldenGod, Mar 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheGoldenGod

TheGoldenGod Initiate (0) Mar 8, 2013 Georgia

At some point in your lives, I'm sure most of you have been at a party or gathering, playing games and getting drunk with your bros, where you run out of beer. It's happened to me many times. Since getting into craft beer a few years ago, I have saved and cellared some beers for later enjoyment.

Here's the situation: Last weekend during the St. Patty's day celebrations, I was at my house, playing drinking games with three of my Tier 1 friends when we ran out of American Adjunct Lagers. Agitated that we ran out of beer and that I was in the third set of a best-of-three game of beer pong against players I am much better than (I am carrying my partner at this point), I tell them I do have some beers left.

I continue to enter my liquor closet and take out two Founders Breakfast Stouts, two Stone IPA's, and one Rochefort 10, subsequently pouring them into 20 solo cups.

I know most of you must be shocked and angry (for the record, I don't care), but honestly, who would have done the same thing? In case you were wondering, I led my team to victory.

2. robhbest

robhbest Initiate (0) Apr 16, 2012 Michigan

You should have made a B double E double R U N.

3. jtdolla911

jtdolla911 Initiate (0) Nov 18, 2011 Massachusetts

I've played games of beirut with Chimay triple

TheGoldenGod likes this.
  4. CasanovaCummins

CasanovaCummins Initiate (0) Jan 10, 2012 Nevada

Under the circumstances, I would have hid the Founders and been okay with gambling away the rest. But that's just me.

ilikebeer03 and Jugs_McGhee like this.
  5. RBassSFHOPit2ME

RBassSFHOPit2ME Initiate (0) Mar 1, 2009 California
    Deactivated

Correct me if I'm wrong...but if you lead your team to victory, that means the other team got to drink the majority of your good and more expensive beer. If this is so...sounds like they were the victors.

6. omniscientcause

omniscientcause Initiate (0) Jun 4, 2010 District of Columbia

you havent lived till youve funneled a 120 through a voovoozella and thought it was keg beer...damn roommate

7. SwickleCellAnemia

SwickleCellAnemia Initiate (0) Mar 11, 2013 Florida

I once did a power hour with all craft beer. I think it was the bottle of Zhukov thrown in there that almost killed us. Everything else was under 9%, and there wasn't anything spectacular or rare in there. I think there was some Chimay, DFH 60 minute, a few Left Hand's and Flying Dogs. Along with the Zhukov there was something else that I don't remember (surprise) that was pretty stellar.

TheGoldenGod and xxbillay like this.
  8. Droogins

Droogins Initiate (0) Sep 4, 2012 Massachusetts

At that point I'd be mostly concerned about losing my ability to aim. I am no good at Beirut once I've had a few.

But I mean what the hell. You saved the day, good beers were consumed, and nobody had to drive under the influence. One does what one must.

9. cw577enfield

cw577enfield Initiate (0) Mar 3, 2013 Virginia

You haven't lived until you've taken a shot of Everclear when you thought it was a shot of Vodka! Asshole roommate...

Yes, I survived.

JDizzle likes this.
  10. omniscientcause

omniscientcause Initiate (0) Jun 4, 2010 District of Columbia

I drank my fair share of it but never straight thank god.

11. SoCalBeerIdiot

SoCalBeerIdiot Pooh-Bah (2,057) Mar 10, 2013 California
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

In the heat of the moment (and assuming a fair amount of inebriation)...YEAH I would've done it just to keep the party going but I'm SURE I would've woken up kicking myself the next day (or the day after depending on how hung over I was). Those f***ers would owe me, though!

12. beerindaglass

beerindaglass Zealot (645) Feb 20, 2013 Florida
    Trader

Hell yeah, I had a few too many after a wedding and had no problem with friends drinking my last aged Olde School and my last 3 Hopslams. Question is would you have done it sober? Hell nah, and neither would have I. But expanding their horizons seemed like a great idea then!

jmccullough108 likes this.
  13. TheGoldenGod

TheGoldenGod Initiate (0) Mar 8, 2013 Georgia

Loving these stories. Good times, people.

14. Resuin

Resuin Pooh-Bah (2,847) Jun 18, 2012 Massachusetts
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Beers from the beer cooler are off limits during drinking games, only regular fridge beers.

ThomasMetal75 likes this.
  15. SammyJaxxxx

SammyJaxxxx Initiate (0) Feb 23, 2012 New Jersey

While all very good beers, there is nothing rare there and they are all good beers to share with friends.

I am concerned about your classification of friends.
    How many tiers are there?
    How does one move from Tier 2 or 3 to tier 1.
    Do you let them know what Tier they are on?

sharpski, StonyB, MichPaul and 19 others like this.
  16. JamesShoemaker

JamesShoemaker Initiate (0) Sep 21, 2012 Michigan

...who indeed?

17. coachdicarlo

coachdicarlo Initiate (0) Apr 20, 2012 Missouri

Would have risked a DUI before I did something that stupid.

18. Optifron

Optifron Initiate (0) Aug 17, 2012 Minnesota

We have a social/drinking group of sorts for our grad department where I'm at, that culminates in a champion each semester based on points accrued throughout the semester (based on various things, many drinking related). I recently won the championship in a final showdown using Hopslam as the beer for 1v1 flip cup. It tasted as good as ever and I don't regret it at all.

TheGoldenGod and beerindaglass like this.
  19. Providence

Providence Pooh-Bah (2,628) Feb 24, 2010 Rhode Island
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

The only beer that should be used for drinking games is Narragansett.

20. dieBlume

dieBlume Initiate (0) Mar 18, 2013 Virginia

You haven't lived until you had someone with bandolier shots. Some filled with water. Some filled with shitty vodka. Some filled with Everclear. All were mixed up and thrown at you at random. You never knew what you were about to drink...
    That next day we also made our own drink called a "Falcon Punch" involving an empty (clean) gas can, fruit punch, various alcohol, and flaming shots. I don't remember much of that weekend.

To be more on topic - I would NEVER share any beer that was above the quality of like...Yuengling. I'm too broke to put that stuff towards drinking games. Maybe when I'm making a decent salary and my friends start sharing their stuff with me...? Ain't nobody got the money for that.

Truthfully I would have just had people have their own drinks and would have played with water.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.