If you don't trade beer......why not?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Hanzo, Mar 26, 2013.

?

Why don't you trade?

1. Shipping is just too damn expensive

193 vote(s)
    31.8%
  2. The beer I have access to locally is just fine, don't need anything else

101 vote(s)
    16.6%
  3. Don't want the hassle of shipping, potential for lost/damaged/confiscated packages

173 vote(s)
    28.5%
  4. I just don't think people will be interested in the beers I have to offer

109 vote(s)
    18.0%
  5. I'm just afraid I'll be taken advantage of in the trade, too intimidating

31 vote(s)
    5.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joeebbs

joeebbs Initiate (0) Apr 29, 2009 Pennsylvania

In the Philly market I have access to many great beers already so I don't see the need to ship stuff across the country.

2. RblWthACoz

RblWthACoz Initiate (0) Aug 19, 2006 Pennsylvania

For me, I'd rather just travel and pick stuff up wherever I am at. That seems to be more fun for me these days.

3. zac16125

zac16125 Grand Pooh-Bah (3,358) Jan 26, 2010 South Carolina
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I love trading beer, completed around 30 trades in the first 9 or so months trading. It gave me the opportunity to try tons of great beers I otherwise would not have had the chance to get a hold of. That being said I have cut back significantly. It does get damn expensive- usually trade higher priced bottles plus local expansions plus extras plus shipping, with all that in place most of my trades run almost $100. I just couldnt keep up that pace financially. I do plan to get back to being much more active in the trade community again soon, once I get a little money back in my pocket.

4. MooseBoose

MooseBoose Initiate (0) Jun 6, 2007 Wisconsin

For me it has been #3, though I may be embarking on my first trade adventure soon.

5. Providence

Providence Pooh-Bah (2,628) Feb 24, 2010 Rhode Island
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I shy away from trading. It's too expensive. I like ocassionally trading locals for locals but very few people ever want to do that.

The cost is ridiculous. Not just the shipping cost mind you, but the cost of the beers. No one ever wants to trade one bomber for one bomber, it's always "since you're sending a bomber you may as well send some more from New England" + extras. I understand that, in the long runt hat saves on shipping, but for that immediate trade it gets expensive.

creepinjeeper and HipsterBrewfus like this.
  6. kdb150

kdb150 Initiate (0) Mar 8, 2012 Pennsylvania

7. MCDub

MCDub Initiate (0) Dec 17, 2009 North Carolina

I have never done a BA trade. I do trade with friends in Texas and Minnesota. Part of the reason I don't trade is that I have to drive 2 hours to get to a decent beer store. I make that trip about once a month and spend about $200 or so on beer that is new to me and about $100 on beer that I love. The logistics of setting up a trade, driving to the store, hoping they still have what I need for the trade, is not easy to do. There are tons of beers I wanna try (RR sours, Black Tuesday and Bruery anniversaries, CCB, Kern River, Lost Abbey, HF, Heady, Lawson's, FFF, BCBCS, BCBS, HotD, Central Waters, Prairie, Crooked Stave, Kuhnhenn,..... the list could really go on forever) that are unavailable to me and it does not seem to be a realistic option in my current location. I check Letspour regularly and pay the inflated prices to try to pick up some beers I want.

drperry11 likes this.
  8. Photekut

Photekut Initiate (0) Mar 31, 2006 Tennessee

I have slowed down considerably to focus on mainly reoccuring trading partners.

There are too many people out to "win" every trade instead of building a good trading relationship.
    There are too many people who say "it is just beer" and "life happens" is acceptable when someone gets burned.
    There are too many 2012 and 2013 join dates that seem to know too much about the "politics" of BA to be new.
    There are too many people that come across like underage girls when they type text speech in all their posts.
    There are too many people ( new and old to BA ) that are diving right in without understanding the expenses etc.

I do not like giving beer away unless that is my intent from the start.

Bildo, randjuke, LambicKing and 10 others like this.
  9. BrettHead

BrettHead Initiate (0) Sep 18, 2010 Nebraska

Voted C, but A and B plays a part as well. It's funny too because I bought 7 BCBS Rare's specifically as trade bait, but then I never traded a single one. Decided why trade a great beer for one that might not be great. Also, with travel and the people I work with (bar/bottle shop) I've been able to try HF, Zombie Dust, and all sorts of other things as it is.

TheBushman likes this.
  10. DocJitsu

DocJitsu Initiate (0) Dec 28, 2009 Florida

People are utterly mean. Even folks who have no stake in or have a remote chance with the trade you've proposed, they always want to weigh in with nasty remarks that end up contaminating ISO/FT thread you create. If you don't indicate a trade that is within the narrow boundaries of what they feel is acceptable, they believe they have the right to do all they can to sabotage your trade. I find them to be jealous, immature brats who were likely bullied in high school. This is what dissuades me from trading as often as I otherwise would.

11. mfnmbvp

mfnmbvp Pooh-Bah (2,557) Nov 28, 2012 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah Society

The reason I've never traded is probably a combination of all the choices you gave. I also agree with what Photekut said up there ^ about people trying to just "win" trades like this is fucking eBay or something. I would rather just build a solid trade relationship with someone.

Ford likes this.
  12. benbking

benbking Initiate (0) Dec 11, 2009 Rhode Island

Awhile ago I decided I wanted to try and trade just to do it. I tried set up two local deals with two different people in different parts of the country. Neither one of them followed through with replying past the initial one or two emails.(they never sent me their address, after i went out and picked up the beer they wanted) I said, this isn't worth my time. Also I homebrew and I do share/trade with other homebrewers. Plus shipping=crazy.

13. BB1313

BB1313 Grand Pooh-Bah (4,278) Jul 16, 2009 Ohio
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I'm more than happy with the local breweries and all of the great breweries from all over the country that are distributed to my area. I really couldn't ask for more. The whole cost/hassle of trading plays a factor too. Plus I always knew if I got into trading I would probably become addicted to it and go broke, haha but seriously. I'm more than content with the great beers I can find on shelves and there's always some crazy stuff that can be found on-tap.

14. slangtruth

slangtruth Initiate (0) Jan 8, 2012 Kentucky

Shipping costs, general satisfaction with local product, hassle and questionable legality.

BierGartenok likes this.
  15. DerekMorgan

DerekMorgan Initiate (0) Jan 15, 2013 Massachusetts

I'm still nervous about attempting to trade in MA since it's illegal to have beer shipped to me. I've heard that plenty of people do it but I have terrible luck and I have a feeling we'll get busted and lose good beers in the process.

LeRose and jtdolla911 like this.
  16. tonton

tonton Initiate (0) Mar 10, 2013 Hong Kong

If someone in Hong Kong wants to trade, I'd me more than happy to do so. Of course, far easier here, is simply to trade knowledge* of our local sources. Otherwise, shipping, of course, is too damn expensive (international).

*Best place to buy English Ale in HK, hands down, is Oliver's in Central. Puts City Super and Jason's to shame.

17. RayOhioFelton

RayOhioFelton Initiate (0) May 24, 2011 Ohio
    Deactivated

I love my local stuff and have found the shelf beers that don't go far outside this distro can bring in some awesome bottles without depleting my cellar!

Set up a FedEx account online and you cost is cut into a 1/3 of what I was. I sent a box from home to Iowa, and two to he York for the cost of my first box sent from Texas to Ohio without the online account.

At the end of the day it's sweet getting trades due to limitations on beer in Ohio. (nothing over 12%)

18. RayOhioFelton

RayOhioFelton Initiate (0) May 24, 2011 Ohio
    Deactivated

As for the legality, just pack well to prevent breaks. These businesses are out to make money, not police a legal product!

19. Longstaff

Longstaff Initiate (0) May 23, 2002 Massachusetts

I'd rather spend the time enjoying the beers I can easily get instead of longing for the beers I can't. Always chasing new beers for the sake of a new experience feels hollow to me and has little to do with beer that provides a quality experience.

20. HeyJim

HeyJim Initiate (0) Sep 22, 2012 Pennsylvania

While I have traded a couple of times, I don't more often because I don't really have access to anything people want. I don't have time to sit in line all day at bottle releases. Although I'm considering a small trip to Brew Kettle, Columbus and FFF in a few months.

The small amount of trading I've done was a blast though.

SadMachine likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.