KBS CHICAGOLAND, YEP.

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by PDZ, Apr 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SWChi

SWChi Pooh-Bah (1,907) Oct 25, 2012 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Picked up my one bottle limit at my local store and happy my girl was able to squeeze my name on the list...totally forgot about it....looks like they only got one case at $8.89 a bottle...probably paid too much..oh well ..

creepinjeeper likes this.
  2. ChicagoShoop

ChicagoShoop Initiate (0) Oct 29, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

Stopped at a local place yesterday that had my name on a list, limit 1 per, he rang me up and tried to charge me $10.99, after tax it was over $12! I literally told him to fuck off and that he was nuts and I would never shop here again, after that little scene, he lowered the price down to $7 and said we hope to have your business again. Of course all of this after he made up some huge elaborate story about how the pricing was screwed up by the manager. BS!

ravot and sbxx like this.
  3. Grohnke

Grohnke Initiate (0) Sep 15, 2009 Illinois

Write a review of the joint on here, in the places area. I got hosed last year, and threw up my review. (i bough the damn beer though :slight_frown:)

4. lwburns15

lwburns15 Initiate (0) Dec 11, 2010 Illinois

This doesn't seem right to me. If you're willing to buy the beer, don't complain later about how much you had to pay. If it's too expensive, don't buy it and take you're business elsewhere from now on.

pointyskull likes this.
  5. Grohnke

i disclosed in my review that I bought it. It was my own decision to be taken advantage of. If I can help educate others on their practices, that's all I'm doing - informing others. they can do what they want with the info.

edit : Plus, I gave them good marks on vibe and selection :wink:

6. OPSippin

OPSippin Initiate (0) Sep 18, 2012 Illinois

I've always thought it was worth paying a premium for a place that would take my name over the phone for a beer a week or two in advance, call me when it came in, and hold it for a few days until I can get by and pick it up. That's a service worth paying for, in my opinion.

thousandfoldthought and billywan like this.
  7. lwburns15

I see your point.

I need to stop reading these threads, it's mostly people complaining about prices being too high and still paying it or complaining that places are selling singles, but still running around for days to try and get a six pack.

I'm going to keep buying everything at my local shop, they take care of me with these releases and I don't need to run around all over the city. I also don't feel they need for more than a couple of these because the next big release is always right around the corner and there's so many great beers to drink in the meantime.

SWChi and Grohnke like this.
  8. thereal

thereal Initiate (0) Apr 20, 2010 Illinois

I really don't see $10 a bottle as a problem. Binny's is a good pricing benchmark, and it was $7 there. An extra couple of bucks really doesn't grate my cheese.

Once you climb past $10, I get the frustration a lot more. I cobbled together a 4 pack, priced at $6, $6, $7 and $10. $29 seems fair to me, and not everyone can price like the big boys.

9. Grohnke

I agree with everything you said dude. and fwiw, I should not have bought the beers, because it just promotes that type of behavior from stores. Lessons learned

10. lwburns15

I agree. I was on a list at a local liquor store last year that I used to always shop at. They wanted $10 each for the KBS. I told them I didn't want them and wouldn't be shopping there ever again. I haven't been back and now go to a fantastic local shop. I don't miss them and was fine without 2 bottles of KBS.

I wish everyone would do the same and hope you do in the future.

11. vasinger

vasinger Initiate (0) Sep 28, 2012 Illinois

I feel like an asshole. I never have time to chase releases down so I usually don't get special releases unless they fall in my lap. I walked into my corner liquor store 2 days ago and found 4 packs for 22.99, no limit. SO i got 1 4 pack, but i dont feel like I earned it.

creepinjeeper likes this.
  12. Fusebuddy

Fusebuddy Pundit (978) Mar 14, 2013 Wisconsin
    Trader

Looks like many of the liquor stores have bought into this deal where they force you to buy a load of other beer in order to buy the one KBS. Gave it one last shot to find this beer and found that crappy deal in Lake Geneva, but I needed a 4 pack of breakfast stout for a trade anyways, so bought that to get the one KBS. I won't pursue this again, being held hostage for one beer is not cool, feels like ransom.

13. mtskier

mtskier Initiate (0) Feb 23, 2013 Illinois

Agreed, its not worth supporting shops that are gonna screw me for the sake of the beer. Ill either trade for it later, or just go without.

14. LSMroz

LSMroz Zealot (672) Jan 25, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

Yep. 3 stores out in the NW Burbs have a 6-pack requirement to be able to then buy 1 bottle of KBS. Told them no thanks and won't be shopping there any more.

15. 0zzzie19

0zzzie19 Initiate (0) Dec 20, 2008 Illinois

Did they mandate any 6 pack or specifically a Founders?

16. sbxx

sbxx Initiate (0) Mar 21, 2011 Illinois

Post the names so we can avoid them as well.

17. floydsfan

floydsfan Initiate (0) Nov 27, 2012 Illinois

I need to learn which stores take lists ahead of time and which ones don't. Walked into Whole Foods (Northbrook), but I "wasn't on the list." Lesson learned!

18. LSMroz

LSMroz Zealot (672) Jan 25, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

Armanetti's Roselle - But I talked to him (he usually is a nice guy) and asked if it was him or the distributor that made that rule? He said the distributor dropped off another couple cases of All Day IPA and said, "Here make them buy 1 of these to buy 1 bottle of KBS". I told him that if he was lying to me I don't want to bring my business to him anymore. He said he promised me that is what they told him and he would talk to them today and see what they say. He said, "I'm going to tell them that I'm going to lose customers if I do this!"

SavWay Geneva & SavWay St. Charles - I'm on the list for St. Charles. Can buy any Founders product and get the KBS for $5.99. Going to talk to them today and have them remove me from the list. Not worth buying beer I don't want for 1 bottle of beer I do want. Not that Founders other beer aren't good, just that I already have enough FBS and FIS that I wanted.

19. Fusebuddy

Fusebuddy Pundit (978) Mar 14, 2013 Wisconsin
    Trader

It sounds like this policy is spreading from top......the beer distributors appear to be coy to this and pushing it with the store owners, and probably with a little coaxing and suggestion from the Founders sales staff too. The place I went said his yearly allocation of KBS was dependent on his prior year's volume of overall purchases of Founders....so they want you to buy other Founders stuff so they can build their purchase numbers in the brand and be able to get more of it in the next year.

I would just rather just pay $7 or $8 a beer or whatever to have a couple premium brews once a year. It'll be my first KBS, looking forward to it, but not too happy about the way I had to get it. Probably have it on my birthday sunday. Acquiring it is just nutz.

20. BeerMePlze

BeerMePlze Initiate (0) Nov 21, 2009 Illinois

This is a store by store policy. The local Founders distributor got us a case and we were told nothing about making our customers buy anything else in order to get KBS. If a store tells you that they were instructed to do this from the distributor they are lying. With that said, of course the distributor is going to send KBS to the stores that do the most business with them (with an emphasis on Founders business) so some stores might try to leverage KBS on more Founders sales so that they can keep their status as a big Founders account, but again that is a decision made entirely by the store.

trbergman likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.