Spain and Portugal

Discussion in 'Europe' started by Msharapa, Jul 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Msharapa

Msharapa Initiate (0) Oct 13, 2010 New York

I'm heading to Chaves for a wedding in a few weeks and was wondering if anyone knows of any beer scenes from Portugal to Madrid. I don't have specific plan for week two while I'm there just a rental car and a flight home from Madrid.

2. Gold89

Gold89 Aspirant (276) Sep 26, 2010 New York

There isn't much of one in Spain/Portugal outside of Catalonia. Madrid has a couple of places - the Cerveceria Oldenburg and Ceveceria de Europa are probably the best and near to each other. There's a brewpub called Naturbier but it was completely average when I went.

Not beer related but if in Portugal you can make it over to Porto it is a fantastic city and a tour(s) of the port cellars is highly recommended particularly Taylor's (and go eat a francesinha - the best drinking food ever!)

3. endovelico

endovelico Initiate (0) Jul 25, 2008 Portugal

Ah Chaves, how i miss it so... Well, theres plenty of breweries (mainly Spanish) in the region (on a 50 km radius towards the East). Theres one Portuguese craft brewery, named Vadia but i don't know the exact location. Portugal has no craft scene to speak of. I hate to say it, but you're better off drinking wine some of the best quality for price wines you'll find anywhere on the world.

4. joaopmgoncalves

joaopmgoncalves Pooh-Bah (2,277) Dec 17, 2012 Portugal
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Well, actually there's something going on here in Portugal. I might say that recently we've watched a boom in breweries and brands.

We have some amateur people making beer at home, like Amphora (Braga), Sarti (Miranda do Douro) and A Cabra (Coimbra). Also, some new brands have appeared in market, like Sovina (Porto) from 3 Cervejeiros, Vadia (Oliveira de Azeméis), Rolls Beer (Pombal) and Cerveja Artesanal do Minho (Braga).

When it comes about places, I just know Praxis at Coimbra and Museu da Cerveja at Lisbon. There are many other places which sell awesome (and) foreign beer but they're not "beercentric".

barracuda likes this.
  5. GONZALOYANNA

GONZALOYANNA Initiate (0) Feb 27, 2011 Spain

Helpful info, appreciate that. I take note. Cheers.

6. GONZALOYANNA

GONZALOYANNA Initiate (0) Feb 27, 2011 Spain

Hi, you´re right Catalonia is the craft scene center. But, thankfully, there are more than a couple of places in Madrid. In fact, those you mentioned are not the best ones. Next time you plan to visit Spain, contact me. I´ll be glad to issue you good advisories. Or look up on Directory list for more info. Cheers.

joaopmgoncalves likes this.
  7. BeerWorld

BeerWorld Pundit (782) Feb 20, 2008 New York

Would like to bring this thread back to life. I will be in Portugal first nine days is September. First time for me. Staying in Cascais/Estoril area but will be making several trips to Lisbon and a one day treck to Porto among other things. Can anyone make recommendations regarding beer places in Lisbon!/Cascais/Estoril/Porto? I did a quick search but could not come up with much. I am really interested in Portugal's craft beer movement (restaurants/beer bars - Lisbon) which specialize in that as well as beer stores (in Lisbon in particular) where I can get local craft beers and/or European brews which I can buy and bring back to where I'm staying to drink there. Any tips would be appreciated. You can either post here or bm me privately. Cheers and thank you.

8. joaopmgoncalves

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Good thing someone's interested in Portugal's craft beer movement. :slight_smile:

If you're going to stay in Cascais/Estoril, not far away from there is Ericeira where you can have Mean Sardine. I guess that they don't sell in Lisbon, yet.

In Lisbon there are a lot of places to have portuguese craft beers but I guess there's only a few of them selling them all (we're experiencing the boom of craft but most of the breweries aren't yet in conditions to sell legally). And one of them is Museu da Cerveja.

I can't help you about stores in Lisbon, I'm not from there so I don't know where to buy stuff down there.

I'd recommend you to try Sovina IPA, Bock and Helles! :slight_smile:

If you want to know more about Portugal's craft beer movement, I've compiled all the info right here, but it's written in portuguese...

9. BeerWorld

BeerWorld Pundit (782) Feb 20, 2008 New York

I really appreciate your insight. Even though my Portuguese is almost nonexistant I feel I already learned quite a bit after looking over your website you put together. Thank you.

joaopmgoncalves likes this.
  10. joaopmgoncalves

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

You're welcome. Portuguese craft is my expertise. :grinning:

11. BK1017

BK1017 Initiate (0) Nov 9, 2009 Texas

Bringing this thread back, again, to life. The wife and I will be honeymooning in Lisbon, Duoro valley (Pinhao), and then Porto. Any other craft beer recommendations would be most appreciated! I have a feeling I'll need to take a break from all the wine/port drinking and have a few suds.

BK

12. aschwab

aschwab Initiate (0) Mar 3, 2009 Texas

Bumping this thread as well. @joaopmgoncalves any more insight in the last year on the scene in Portugal?

I will be staying in "downtown" Lisbon and have heard of Cerveteca(?) there as a place to hit up. Any other good places with a selection of local beer?

I also will likely have 2-3 days in Porto.

I will have limited access to a car. I would not mind visiting a taproom but do not know if they really do those in Portugal like they do in the US.

13. aschwab

scotti561 and BeerWorld like this.
  14. videofrog

videofrog Maven (1,256) Nov 13, 2010 Texas
    Trader

I was just on this forum yesterday as my wife and I are planning a trip to Portugal. Awesome write-up. Any chance we'll see monthly Portugal label approval threads?:grinning:

aschwab likes this.
  15. aschwab

Ha, yeah, I will look into it.

If you are in Lisbon, definitely go to Cerveteca. The guy sounded like he was trying to get something good going there, and it did show. They had enough local beers on tap as well as some international ones.

And a nice little bottle shop to cover your needs for your travels.

16. AntonioCCC

AntonioCCC Initiate (0) Dec 22, 2014 Portugal

17. Tukee

Tukee Devotee (363) Aug 1, 2009 Arizona

I'm planning a trip to Portugal next month. Looks like a couple good places to check out in Lisbon. Anyone have suggestions for Algarve, specifically around Lagos?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.