Doom & Double Trouble

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Jae9979, Apr 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dar482

dar482 Grand Pooh-Bah (3,039) Mar 9, 2007 New York
    Pooh-Bah Society

Yeah, we haven't gotten Double Trouble yet. I'm still waiting for Stone Espresso Russian, Hoptimum, and Parabola.

2. SteelersX

SteelersX Savant (1,106) Jan 30, 2011 New York
    Trader

People think that you can only successfully barrel age stouts and barleywines. Barrel Aged Red's Rye was awesome.
    I tried Hand of Doom a few times and loved it. Way better than the Better Half.

GrindFatherBob likes this.
  3. Crookdrain

Crookdrain Initiate (0) Jan 13, 2010 New York

Where in NY are you? If you're near the city, I can point you to a few stores selling Doom between $15 - 17.

4. pepsican

pepsican Initiate (0) Nov 5, 2007 Iowa

If you want it, grab it. It would be more than that retail at a bar and would cost more to trade for after shipping and you'd have to put time in effort in to trade. If it doesn't interest you for $20, then leave it for the next person that would be happy to pay that.

5. jbertsch

jbertsch Pooh-Bah (2,710) Dec 14, 2008 Massachusetts
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Ditto.
    The idea of barrel aging an already gorgeous, fresh DIPA sounds asinine. But I'm happy to taste it, as long as it's free :sunglasses:

6. YieldToNothing

YieldToNothing Initiate (0) Mar 13, 2013 New York

id like this information. jsut called WF in chelsea and they are out

7. mnphish

mnphish Initiate (0) Aug 19, 2012 Minnesota

Paid 9.99 for DT and 12.99 for Doom...

hagbergl likes this.
  8. Gotti311

Gotti311 Initiate (0) Mar 22, 2009 Wisconsin
    Trader

I wasnt sure I was going to be a believer of the BA IPA. Got lucky enough to score a bottle of Toppling Goliath Naughty Temple and it was damn impressive (Naughty Temple Review). That beer was built to highlight the barrel aging (whiskey for TG) and it was amazing. Founders obviously knows their stuff when it comes to barrel aging, no way this beer is bad. And at $12.49 that was a good investment.

BottleCaps80 likes this.
  9. GuzzLah

GuzzLah Initiate (0) Mar 2, 2013 Illinois

A Grindcore guy is a fanboy of a beer named Doom? Surely, this must be a coincidence.

JoeyBeerBelly likes this.
  10. mtrutlin

mtrutlin Initiate (0) Apr 4, 2012 South Carolina

Totally agree here. Had a Doom last night and it was pretty good. Interesting and unique for sure but, without a doubt, Naughty Temple is the beer Doom wishes it could be. Has the same positive aspects that Doom does (but done better) and none of Doom's negative aspects (i.e. too much bitterness on the back end).

11. bayridge27

bayridge27 Initiate (0) Dec 3, 2009 New York

I've seen Doom for $14.49 in NYC.

Every other shop here has been $18 +.

12. Ben

Ben Initiate (0) Jul 16, 2009 Massachusetts

Doom is one of the best beers I have ever had. Period. You should at least try it. DT is great but a lot more readily available. Try the Doom you won't be disappointed.

13. MortalKombat14

MortalKombat14 Initiate (0) Oct 2, 2012 Michigan

Except the point of bourbon beers is so you don't get an alcohol burn but still get that bourbon flavor. The taste of alcohol is so repulsive to me that I never drink any poor quality beers, wines or hard liquor where you can taste the alcohol.

14. otispdriftwood

otispdriftwood Initiate (0) Dec 9, 2011 Colorado

Like you have experienced, I have found that if you drink good whiskey, you don't get a burn. Or maybe it's just me. Problem is, since I've been drinking craft beer, my alcohol consumption has dropped drastically. But I still like to sip some Jack D. or good Tequila from time to time.

15. djsmith1174

djsmith1174 Pundit (991) Aug 21, 2005 Minnesota

I'm not crazy about barrel aging a beer that people flip out over being "not fresh" if it was bottled 10 minutes ago. :confused: That's just my opinion, I could be wrong.

As for Double Trouble, really good DIPA. But it's availability is pretty far reaching and that seems a little on the high side. Comparatively, I could see justification of up to $12, but I think more than that is just taking advantage of the consumer. I know it's squabbling over a few dollars, but being willing to shell it out time after time is only going to see the trend grow upward. It's still ultimately up to the purchaser, though.

16. Jae9979

Jae9979 Initiate (0) Sep 23, 2012 New York

Absolutely, I don't mind spending a few extra $ to support the local guys. Being here in Rochester there aren't many other options either. If I owned the business I would capitalize on it as well.

17. watsonmd

watsonmd Initiate (0) May 16, 2009 Georgia

Doom is in ATL, and varies from $13.99-$21.99. Total Wine is raping people with the price, but if you are willing to buy, they are willing to mark up....

18. Crookdrain

Crookdrain Initiate (0) Jan 13, 2010 New York

Ah well WF Chelsea was gonna be my first suggestion, but I hear that Top Hops might still have some for $16.99.

19. Yagman3000

Yagman3000 Initiate (0) Apr 26, 2011 New York

DFH's Burton Baton has always been a favorite of mine so I grabbed a bottle of Doom for $17 on Long Island. I'm going to wait on it. Double Trouble is at a different price point than the rest of the four-packs where I shop. Usually about $4 more or so at $16 per. Doom is for sharing with some family or friends. A 12 oz. Double Trouble is personal. Good times...

20. Mersh

Mersh Initiate (0) Mar 10, 2013 Connecticut

I just purchased 2 bottles of Doom for $14.99ea. in New York. According to Founders they are supposed to be $12.99ea MSRP. You gotta figure places will jack it up because of the limited availability. I've seen it here in CT with "Enjoy By" from Stone as well. Craft beer is just plain pricey, it's an expensive hobby but somebody has to brew it......

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.