Bud sold 500,000 barrels of Lime-A-Rita in the first 8 months

Discussion in 'Beer News' started by sandiego67, Apr 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Grand Pooh-Bah (3,181) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

The short answer: AB InBev has the resources to market and distribute this alcoholic beverage.

The real questions are: how long will these –rita beverages stay on the market? Will these products last longer than Zima?

Cheers!

bomberdawg likes this.
  2. tjensen3618

tjensen3618 Savant (1,225) Mar 23, 2008 California

I certainly couldn't session these guys, too sweet, but I could throw back one or two while camping or by the pool.

It's essentially a non-ghetto Four Loko.

Uncleserg likes this.
  3. SaCkErZ9

SaCkErZ9 Pooh-Bah (2,923) Feb 27, 2005 South Carolina
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Is that before or after you don't put on deodorant, do put on patchouli, dress in hemp, and get the bugs out of your "braids"?

BigStein88 and Hdredfern like this.
  4. Beerandraiderfan

Beerandraiderfan Initiate (0) Apr 14, 2009 Nevada

Hopefully this will encourage Mike Judge to make a sequel to the movie Idiocracy.

"Would you like another BIG ASS strawberry-a-rita?!"

Inbev: @#!@! you, I'm drinking!

troegaarden, Falcone and jtmartino like this.
  5. abecall98

abecall98 Initiate (0) Aug 11, 2007 California
    Trader

It's not even bad tasting though.

A 12 pack finds it's way into my house once a month by a guest. I usually drink one each time. I just think of it like an alcoholic juice.

6. pmarlowe

pmarlowe Pooh-Bah (1,899) Nov 27, 2010 Virginia
    Pooh-Bah

Neckbeards everywhere are irate.

7. SnowFlowMfg

SnowFlowMfg Initiate (0) Dec 13, 2011 California

and hangovers

8. TheNoodleIncident

TheNoodleIncident Initiate (0) Apr 30, 2012 New York

I'm going to depart from the hivemind for a minute, and might get flammed for it - When spending a hot day on the beach, there are worse options than a Lime-A-Rita. It's not good beer, and it's not a good margarita, but it's convenient and something about having one (and really not much more than one) can hit the spot in that situation. Most of the good beers I like are a bit too heavy for the beach, anyway.

Then again, I've also been known to enjoy a Chelada on the beach (I know, fuck me, right?) from time to time. Just don't think of it as beer.

9. TheNoodleIncident

TheNoodleIncident Initiate (0) Apr 30, 2012 New York

Also, "barrels"? At what point does this stuff spend any time in an actual barrel?

RobertColianni likes this.
  10. nanobrew

nanobrew Initiate (0) Dec 31, 2008 California

That is a shit ton of that, but the question I am curious about is where did these sales cut into. I highly doubt this has any affect on the craft beer industry. I am guessing it either switched money around from bud light and bud light lime, or stole sales from other BMC brands.

11. ubenumber2

ubenumber2 Initiate (0) Sep 1, 2012 Arkansas

I see a tasty mixture in my future , half a glass of this on the rocks , topped off with purple passion........mmmm......mmmm tasty

12. weatherdog

weatherdog Initiate (0) Nov 7, 2007 Illinois

This is just the poor man's Margarita Sofie...pass

13. TheGoldsmith

TheGoldsmith Initiate (0) Jan 20, 2013 Missouri

I tried these when they first came out and didn't find them to be on par with even the already available pre-mixed margaritas. That being said, they weren't undrinkable, and I could see the cans and small size being convenient in applications like a day on the river or whatnot. But this is Beer Advocate, and frankly I'd much rather have a great beer on the river than a sub-par margarita.

14. rauchfest

rauchfest Initiate (0) Sep 5, 2008 Pennsylvania

Yes it is and cost effective is used not cheaper.

15. OtsegoAmigo

OtsegoAmigo Initiate (0) Nov 4, 2010 California

I doubt there is anything "authentic" tasting about the margarita flavor. I guess I'd have to try it though to see for myself.

16. loafinaround

loafinaround Initiate (0) Jul 16, 2011 New York

perspective:
    coca cola sold over 25 billion cases in 2010....

moral of the story? Junk food (or drinks) sell.... bigtime.

OtsegoAmigo likes this.
  17. Spaghett

Spaghett Initiate (0) Oct 27, 2011 California

I think they decided against it. But each purchase has a voucher. If you collect enough vouchers and send them in, you receive a hat with "I'ma Marga-READY To Party!" embroidered on the front. I've collected 15 so far.

Piddmeista and squirrely2005 like this.
  18. squirrely2005

squirrely2005 Initiate (0) Aug 26, 2011 Texas

What's classic? The people in my story or that I talked about people who don't know what I'm talking about while I don't either. Well I didn't claim I did. I specifically said I was unsure. I'm just a little confused by which ya mean is why ask. That's all.

Anyway I can't imagine how much of this they're going to sell this week at Fiesta here in San Antonio.

19. CassinoNorth

CassinoNorth Initiate (0) Apr 5, 2013 New Jersey

There's tons of craft beer that never sees a barrel either. It's a unit of measurement.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barrel_(unit)

Chaz likes this.
  20. OneBeertoRTA

OneBeertoRTA Initiate (0) Jan 2, 2010 California

That really means nothing. If the Nielsens showed that 500K barrels went off the shelves that would mean the product had consumer pull. Bud could sell 500K barrels of kittylitter light in a blink of an eye without the product even hitting a retailer. It's called a 3 tier system and their shipments to the distributor is the only sale that hits their books. With their muscle and distributor contracts they basically can ship/launch any innovation on that scale.

BrettHead likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.