Morrisons - Cheap Chimay Red and Schneider Weisse

Discussion in 'British Isles' started by fuseboy, Apr 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jazzyjeff13

jazzyjeff13 Grand Pooh-Bah (3,841) Nov 6, 2010 England
    Pooh-Bah Society

Dammit!! Why wasn't I alive back then?!

2. CwrwAmByth

CwrwAmByth Initiate (0) Jan 24, 2011 England

8 quid for a beer you're havin a bath mate

:stuck_out_tongue: but seriously though I wouldn't pay that.

3. Zimbo

Zimbo Pooh-Bah (2,281) Aug 7, 2010 Scotland
    Pooh-Bah

I remember thinking exactly the same thing when I first saw World Wide Stout in Safeway. A week later I had caved in when I realised how quickly the bottles were going. But when I drank it shortly thereafter I really felt duped. Never again I vowed. Impressed that it took about 7 years before that was broken.

4. Zimbo

Pooh-Bah

I remember thinking exactly the same thing when I first saw World Wide Stout in Safeway. A week later I had caved in when I realised how quickly the bottles were going. But when I drank it shortly thereafter I really felt duped. Never again I vowed. Impressed that it took about 7 years before that was broken.

5. AEK

AEK Initiate (0) Feb 8, 2010 Wales

Yeah, I thought £8 for a small bottle of beer was a bit too steep but then I thought f*** it, bite the bullet. I aged mine for 12 months and upon drinking it I thought "Is that all there is to it for a beer at such strength?" I felt cheated. Now of course I am much wiser to the fact that some of these strong beers their taste or feel belies their strength. Sam Calagione said later that no more WWS would be produced for the UK (only here and California was the %ABV upped to 21%) as it was not very well received on these shores. That probably explains why their 120 minute IPA or Old School are never seen here. Oh how I would love to try one again though (the WWS that is).

6. CwrwAmByth

No Dogfish Head is seen here, they stopped exporting from America a year or so ago, must have been 2009/10 as my bottle of Palo Santo Marron was bought from one of the last shipments and it was bottled in 2009.

Also, Duvel is £1.30-ish in Sainsburys.

7. EmperorBevis

EmperorBevis Grand High Pooh-Bah (8,244) Sep 25, 2011 England
    Super Mod Pooh-Bah Society Trader

The whole Supermarket beer front has gone a bit stale,

my local Tesco used to shuffle the world beers about a lot more with a couple of offerings from Coopers on the oz front and regularly changing the American beers going from SN to Anchor to Flying Dog
    at the moment they have Victoria bitter and Blue Moon and seem to be saying
    'you won't get anything else till you finish these' and i'm like No thanks lol.

The newly opened Aldi have very little I'm actually getting most of my new beers from B&M's
    when I can't afford a treat from Waitrose.

My local ASDA hasn't changed beers on sale for two years apart from taking Chimay off them :slight_frown:

8. jazzyjeff13

jazzyjeff13 Grand Pooh-Bah (3,841) Nov 6, 2010 England
    Pooh-Bah Society

Sadly, I think you'll find that Duvel is now over £2 a bottle in all the major supermarkets (might be partly due to the change in taxation last year).

9. CwrwAmByth

Nope not all. Saw it today in my big Sainsburys at £1.30-ish! :slight_smile:

10. fuseboy

fuseboy Initiate (0) Feb 28, 2011 England

@ jazzyjeff13 - Sorry you didnt find anything. I'm gonna pop into my store of the future over the wkend and check their range.

@ EssexAleMan - you'd better snap them up!! Never seen Duvel that cheap - could the price of craft beer be dropping? Or is that too much to hope.

Can't believe the supermarkets used to stock Aventinus and Dogfish Head!! The range nowadays is pretty poor.

11. CwrwAmByth

Meh i've had Duvel before i'd rather spend money on something new.

12. ReluctantScooper

ReluctantScooper Initiate (0) Nov 4, 2008 England

Glad to see I'm not the only one thinking this way.

It's not so much that the 80% of bottles on the shelves UK-wise are brown and boring - that's the market and will always be the case, I suspect - it's that the other 20% isn't inspiring either.

Our local Asda - East Midlands - stocks Tunnel from the West Midlands. Sainsburys have their own label stuff which is pretty poor IMO. Tesco used to throw in a few curveballs but has becone hit-and-miss. Morrisons, I don't visit often enough to have an opinion.

M&S has just about the best supermarket beer range I can think of right now in terms of decent UK bottles.

The one that's blindsided me is Aldi. I've been sent a selection for review and some of the Eurolager is actually very drinkable. And cheap.

13. CwrwAmByth

I really like Marks & Sparks beer. For some reason though Southwold/Adnams beers are better than the actual Adnams branded bottles. Can't wait to try the porter from Robinsons too.

14. AEK

AEK Initiate (0) Feb 8, 2010 Wales

Saw Duvel in my local Sainsbury's today, £2.09 a bottle.

15. Hanglow

Hanglow Pooh-Bah (1,977) Feb 18, 2012 Scotland
    Pooh-Bah

I wasn't impressed with the M&S range of beers when I was last in, maybe that's just a Glasgow thing :open_mouth: It was quite a small food hall though

I went to a Whole Foods for the first time and they have a good range, if a bit pricey

16. CwrwAmByth

Wahey then!

17. paxton1978

paxton1978 Initiate (0) Aug 8, 2008 England

See here why supermarket selection is pretty rubbish- http://www.morrisonsrtw.co.uk/our-range/which-local-ales-do-you-want/
    Every person there (apart from me) is calling out for boring brown beer which you can already get EVERYWHERE else. To be honest, if I compare what was available in my local Sainsburys or Tesco 4-5 years ago to what I can get now- I'm really not going to complain that much. If I want more craft then I'll buy from the source/order online/get it from a pub. Major supermarkets will always cater to the brown beer masses because this is what turns a trick.

18. CwrwAmByth

Someone requesting Blandford Fly, Specled Hen (sic), ? You can get that in loads of places.

19. Zimbo

Pooh-Bah

Just a few years ago Tesco also carried Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout.

The problem with UK supermarket is just the amount of uninspiring beers on the shelves and the totally unchanging nature of so many lines.
    There are still jems out there but them seem to far rarer than they once were.

20. CwrwAmByth

Many of the can be considered gems, just gems you've had 5+ times before lol.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.