Philly Beer Week 2013 (May 31st - June 9th)

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by riemster, Apr 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John_M

John_M Grand High Pooh-Bah (6,275) Oct 25, 2003 Washington
    Super Mod Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Excellent! Will definitely stop by on Sunday! Guess it's too much to hope that Matt might still have lunch on tap by then, but no matter... I'm sure the line-up Sunday will be more than tolerable!

2. hhkal17

hhkal17 Pooh-Bah (2,601) Jul 10, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah

As expected, the floodgates have opened and a ton of lists have come out since Memorial Day Weekend. Many unique/notable ones (well at least IMHO) including:

- we've finally got a Half Acre list. They're doing a few spots so I'd guess some of these will be at those others as well. This one's for Perch Pub on 5/31 - http://beeradvocate.com/events/info/61955
    - that Founders list at World Cafe on 6/2 is a monster. That'll probably be their biggest one - http://beeradvocate.com/events/info/61792
    - the Standard Tap list for the Troegs/Devil's Backbone/Church Brew Works came out (just submitted to BA calendar). That list featuring a bunch from each brewery can be found here - https://www.facebook.com/StandardTap/events#!/events/371776072924591/
    - Just like Church Brew Works, we've got another event with some Pittsburgh stuff rarely seen around here. A Fat Heads and East End night at Hawthorne's - http://beeradvocate.com/events/info/61969
    - For a Firestone Walker event, pretty big list for their night at City Tap House (6/8) - the event is already listed on BA but the taplist hasn't been put on yet. That can be found here (scroll down near the bottom) - http://www.citytaphouse.com/events

A whole bunch of smaller lists were put on the calendar as well and/or recently submitted (several from places like Bru, Industry, Pinocchio's, etc). There's more to look forward to as well (most of the Memphis/Local 44 lists including Russian River on 6/9, Capone's, Eulogy/Bierstube, Jose Pistola's, etc). Enjoy!

riemster likes this.
  3. John_M

John_M Grand High Pooh-Bah (6,275) Oct 25, 2003 Washington
    Super Mod Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Excellent news. Have never been, but I'm totally in for the World Cafe founders event.

4. riemster

riemster Initiate (0) Mar 17, 2011 Ohio

5. krisleonard

krisleonard Initiate (0) Jan 27, 2012 Massachusetts

I'm going to be in Philly this weekend for work and just realized that it's Beer Week. I already have a long list of beer spots to hit (much longer than my one free day will allow) and need to prioritize. Any thoughts on "must-visit" bars (like Monk's) and/or Beer Week events that actually feature local beer?

6. stmgl01

stmgl01 Initiate (0) Dec 11, 2007 Pennsylvania

What day are you free?

Devil's Den on Friday looks great. Tired Hands anniversary party is on Sunday...

7. krisleonard

Saturday and I could probably squeeze in some time late Sunday night

8. stmgl01

stmgl01 Initiate (0) Dec 11, 2007 Pennsylvania

I'm sure Monks, Jose Pistolas, Nodding Head and Good Dog will all have good stuff on Saturday. I'd check those out as they're all close to each other in center city. Sunday, the aforementioned event at Standard Tap with Troegs and Church Brew Works seems like a must attend event. Church Brew Works doesn't send stuff outside of Pittsburgh ever and they just did a collab beer with Troegs. You can try other "scratch" beers from Troegs too. Also, Tired Hands is going to be great ALL DAY on Sunday and they do growler fills so you can bring something home too.

9. riemster

Sunday is stacked.

Eulogy Belgian Tavern Coffee Beer Brunch
    Tired Hands Anniversary Party
    Founders @ World Cafe
    Capone's Bourbon Barrel/Big Beers

10. Streaky

Streaky Initiate (0) Mar 26, 2013 New Jersey

My girlfriend loves good beer but her only free night will be Friday, I want to take her to something awesome...

Torn between Devil's Den / Barcade.

Leaning toward Barcade because there's so many other things happening nearby...

11. Streaky

Streaky Initiate (0) Mar 26, 2013 New Jersey

Woah -- actually might just stay near my apartment...closest beer bar is Cambridge and the tap list for opening night looks insane there!

Beer List So Far: BrewWorks Framboise, Thirsty Dog Cerasus Flanders, Thirsty Dog Bourbon Orthus, Southern Tier Plum Noir, New Holland Blue Sunday, Lefthand Ambidextrous, Avery Lilikoi, Avery Double Dry Hopped Maharaja, Two Bros. 16th Anniversary, Avery Mephistopheles, Uinta Tilted Smiler Imperial Pilsner, Domaine Etteine Dupont Cidre Riserva, Gales Zymatore, Havistons Ola Dubh 21 Yr Old, Thornbridge Bracia, Banhof Berlinerweiise w/ Potato, De Dolle Dulle Teve, Birra del Borgo My Antonia, Bells Raspberry Ale, Terrapin Maggie's Peach Saison, Engelszell Gregorius Trappistenbier, Southern Tier 215, Anderson Valley Bourbon Barney Flats & New Holland PBW sour....whoa!

12. TapHousePhilly

TapHousePhilly Initiate (0) May 3, 2010 Pennsylvania

As a few have asked for these....AVERY LUAU tap list

Joe’s Pils
    Maharaja
    Kaiser
    2013 Samaels
    2012 Samaels
    Lilikoi Kepolo
    Out of Sight
    Tweak
    Double Dry Hopped Maharaja
    Hand of Buddha,
    20th Anniversary
    19th Anniversary
    3Point5 IPA
    White Rascal
    Ellie’s Brown
    IPA
    Mephistopheles
    The Beast Grand Cru
    Old Jubilation
    Hog Heaven
    The Czar
    New World Porter
    Salvation
    Out of Bounds Stout

...And Firestone Walker Tap List

Double DBA 2012
    Velvet Merkin 2012
    Velvet Merlin
    XV Anniversary
    Double Barrel
    Solace
    Pale 31
    Parabola 2013
    Sucaba 2012
    Union Jack
    Double Jack
    Wookey Jack
    Walker’s Reserve Porter
    ....We'll post a Victory Tap Takeover list shortly....for Friday 6/7

Have a happy and safe 10 days everyone...hope to see you at some events!

13. SPRichard

SPRichard Maven (1,260) Apr 26, 2008 New Jersey
    Trader

First of all, where are you staying in the city and will you have a car?

Once those questions are answered you'll get a better gauge on where you'll want to go

14. krisleonard

I'm staying in Rittenhouse Square but have no problem walking a couple of miles....I like exploring. I don't think I'm going to bother with renting a car.

15. hhkal17

hhkal17 Pooh-Bah (2,601) Jul 10, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah

For a somewhat local showcase on Saturday the Varga Bar Block party is solid, nothing rare but solid stuff nonetheless - http://phillytapfinder.com/event/block-party/

The Firkin Riot festival up at Johnny Brenda's is a stronger local showcase but you'll wanna take the subway for that. If you took the Market-Frankford Line aka the "El" (nearby stop to Rittenhouse square is at 15h and Market) and then got off at the Girard stop, it would put you one block away from JB's - http://beeradvocate.com/events/info/61767

---------------------

On a side note, not a local showcase but I just submitted this to the calendar and was gonna mention it... for only having 8 taps, that Bella Vista list at Prohibition Taproom on Saturday for the Superhero/Supervillian Costume Party is TIGHT -

AleSmith IPA
    Ballast Point Dorado DIPA
    Bullfrog Strange Orange
    Central Waters Peruvian Morning
    Cigar City Italian Plum Single
    Dark Horse Bourbon Barrel Plead the 5th
    Hill Farmstead Edward
    Williamsburg Alewerks Cafe Royale

riemster likes this.
  16. riemster

I've been looking for the taplist for this!!! Awesome. I was already planning on going, but now I have even more of a reason to go.

17. ThoreauLikeAGirl

ThoreauLikeAGirl Initiate (0) Mar 11, 2011 Pennsylvania

seriously... who is tubing with me on tuesday?

18. mr1581

mr1581 Initiate (0) Jul 3, 2006 Arizona

I'm sure Hayden will go with you

19. ThoreauLikeAGirl

ThoreauLikeAGirl Initiate (0) Mar 11, 2011 Pennsylvania

*rim shot* you are hiiiiiilarious.

20. TapHousePhilly

TapHousePhilly Initiate (0) May 3, 2010 Pennsylvania

JUST GOT OUR FINALIZED LIST FOR VICTORY TAP TAKEOVER on Friday, June 7th.

Holy Jeezus

White Monkey, Red Thunder, Oak Horizontal
    CBC Mandarina Best Bitter, CBC Blanc Session Ale, CBC Melon Session Ale
    Biere de Garden, Hip-Czech Lager. NATO IPA
    Rye Expressions IPA, Scarlet Fire, Whirlwind Wit
    Yakima Glory, Lager, Prima Pils
    Braumeister Pils, HopDevil IPA, Golden Monkey
    Hop Wallop, Headwaters Pale Ale, Storm King Stout
    Moonglow Weizenbock, Mad Kings Weiss, Golding Glow Ale
    ESB , Donnybrook Stout, Uncle Teddy NITRO
    St Victorious Dopplebock, St. Boisterous Maibock, Summer Love Ale
    Swing Session Saison, Baltic Thunder , Altbier