My plea to improve the craft beer scene in South Boston/South End

Discussion in 'New England' started by jdamaso84, May 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. willbm3

willbm3 Initiate (0) Feb 19, 2010 Massachusetts

This was my impression, although I am no expert. Just seems like folks in the South End are more interested in wine and cocktails (and PBR) than craft beer.

2. jdamaso84

jdamaso84 Crusader (451) Aug 4, 2010 Colorado

I'm trying hard because I would like a better beer scene? Relax, this is the Internet.

3. Archemedies

Archemedies Initiate (0) Dec 8, 2011 Massachusetts

You should see how awful the beer selection is down here on Cape. We get the shaft when it comes to distro.

halfshell and jdamaso84 like this.
  4. Patg72

Patg72 Initiate (0) Jul 22, 2003 Massachusetts

I think you're being unfairly harsh in your assessment of the South End/South Boston beer scene. The places you mention are pretty much the top 5 ranked stores in Massachusetts on BA. There are very few stores in the entire state that stock up like them. Could stores in your area do better? Sure, but to say they're not trying is wrong. Bayview Liquors dedicates more than half their coolers to Craft and always tries to rotate a interesting big bottle selection. Also ask Rick about his cellar sometime. Other stores like Social Wines, South End Formaggio and Urban Grape pretty much only sell craft beers. Urban Grape actually just announced their new beer program called Urban Hop so you should see their selection grow and improve. Even the Foodies Market has a decent little selection. Also have you checked out Liquor Land at the bottom end of Mass Ave or Bee's Knees in the Fort Point area?

5. AleLovinRuskie

AleLovinRuskie Initiate (0) Feb 10, 2009 Massachusetts

Southie is coming around, but it's a slow change. It's a community that's always embraced macro more than micro, and the Beer Garden/Playwright/Stats/Stadium scene isn't helping that. Social, AmPro, Local, and Lincoln are trying to change that (the first three more so than the last), but it's not going to happen overnight. That said, with all of the new condos going up in the St. Vin's/Lower End, the evolution should start speeding up. People spending $500K+ on condos are much more likely to spend $10+ on a 6 pack of beer.

6. bramsdell

bramsdell Initiate (0) May 27, 2011 North Carolina

Southie? Everyone knows that the best beer is on the other side of the river.

7. BearsOnAcid

BearsOnAcid Pooh-Bah (2,215) Mar 17, 2009 Massachusetts
    Pooh-Bah Society

I know people that think going to the other side of the river is like traveling halfway across the country.

8. HawkIPA

HawkIPA Initiate (0) May 2, 2013 Massachusetts

THIS.

Yeah, it'd be nice to have a Craft Beer Cellar or a Julio's in a T-accessible spot, but I don't think Boston is lacking. I usually get my craft beer needs met at Federal Wine & Spirits, a shoebox sized liquor store by Government Center that keeps a limited, but well chosen, supply and has a very helpful staff. The other shops listed in this post are also on the mark.

I can't speak to Southie, as I rarely head out that way, but getting downtown or even across the river isn't too difficult on the red line.

9. bramsdell

bramsdell Initiate (0) May 27, 2011 North Carolina

And I like that those people feel that way.

10. scubahood

scubahood Initiate (0) Jan 29, 2004 Massachusetts

As people mentioned I think it is mostly a space and cash flow issue. Granite in Weymouth is one of my go to stores but they have A LOT of stuff that sits for years. They manage it well so it is barleywines, stouts, old ales, etc but not all stores have the space to do that. I was in Bayview the other week and they had either DORIS or BORIS (maybe both) speedway stout, FBS, double trouble, etc. I consider that to be very good selection for everyday stuff. If you are talking about truly rare beers it goes back to space. To get KBS you have to sell a lot of the regular founders. To get BCBCS you have to sell a lot of bud light and 312. Unless you are a beer warehouse (ie the suburban stores) there isn't enough shelf space to get all the specialties.

11. emannths

emannths Initiate (0) Sep 21, 2007 Massachusetts

Don't tell little ol' Liquor World in Porter Square...

12. willbm3

willbm3 Initiate (0) Feb 19, 2010 Massachusetts

Yes they do. Was in there over the weekend and saw year old Jack's Abbey stuff

13. scubahood

scubahood Initiate (0) Jan 29, 2004 Massachusetts

Well I wouldn't know since I am one of those people that think the other side of the river might as well be the dark side of the moon haha

If what you say is true awesome for those guys but it seems like in general it normally can't be done. Talking to beer reps/distributors it seems like a lot of people think they can open a store that only sells the rare items when that is not the reality.

14. jbar920

jbar920 Initiate (0) Dec 23, 2008 Massachusetts

Have owned a condo in the South End for the past 8years, and I've always been able to find something "interesting enough" @ one of the local places throughout... but can certainly agree to the need for a step-up in their game. The neighborhood has more than enough of an interest.

Being constantly on the HUNT.. It's all part of the fun, right?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.