Backcountry Yosemite DIPA tasting-Memorial Day weekend

Discussion in 'Pacific' started by Morty412, Jun 1, 2013.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Morty412

Morty412 Initiate (0) Jun 1, 2013

[​IMG]

Long-time BA lurker, thought I'd contribute for once.
    My two buddies and I backpacked in to a ridge above Yosemite valley this weekend to do some camping, day hiking and hanging out. We packed in some DIPA's for the hanging out portion. Luckily there was still some patchy snow areas, so we could keep the beers cold.
    While we didn't do a blind tasting, we are all IPA freaks and have strong opinions, so here they are.
    Out of a possible score of 30 for each beer:
    1. Firestone Walker Double Jack: 25.5. Beautiful straw color belies the strength of this one. We all loved the fresh hop aroma and clean finish. This one had overtones of a really smooth single malt scotch.
    2. Sierra Nevada Hoptimum: 23. Not as subtle as the Double Jack. Nice hop aroma, but more muddy on the nose. Alcohol is up front on this one, anti-session DIPA! Still, we liked the balance.
    3. Drakes Denoginizer: 21. Pours a light amber, very smooth with hop aroma in the background. slightly malty especially compared to the others in the tasting, but very balanced and one we would buy again for sure.
    4. Pliny the Elder: 20. We are spoiled out here in the Bay Area and can get this one anytime. Not quite as aromatic on the hops as the double Jack or Hoptimum. ABV slightly lower, it almost felt like a session DIPA, which is not a bad thing.
    5. Heady Topper: 19. My buddy sent a four pack from Vermont, this was a fresh can. We wanted to love this beer, but it was unrefined compared to the beers above. Yes, we drank from the can and poured some as well. Honestly do not understand the hype on this one. Pliny the Younger and Westy 12 deserve the high ranking, HT would not make our top 50.

The Lagunitas Lucky 13 is not really a DIPA, but we liked it anyway! scored above the HT for sure.

[​IMG]

Cheers to Half dome!

[​IMG]

Clearly out of beer.

Angst, beepill, Anita05 and 7 others like this.
  2. jmw

jmw Initiate (0) Feb 4, 2009 North Carolina

Holy shit! What a beautiful photo (of the beer, I mean). Cheers to Half Dome Morty, and cheers to you finding your voice.
    You won't make many friends here with irreverent opinions about HT like that though. It is maniacally protected like the child that should have died at birth but has been kept alive and defended despite it driving the parents insane in the process.
    I'm with you though. Hoptimum and DJ deserve to be at the top of that list.

What was your elevation at this tasting? I wonder if you might be in contention for title in the Highest Tasting: DIPA--4 or More, Self-Packed category.
    Can anybody beat this one?

3. t420o

t420o Initiate (0) Jul 16, 2009 Colorado

Love Yosemite, well really I just love the Sierra's as a whole. Nice pictures as well. Awesome tasting, I'm not 100 % in agreement on those rankings, but to each his own!

Cheers

4. Orca

Orca Grand Pooh-Bah (4,441) Sep 18, 2010 Washington
    Pooh-Bah Society

Really sounds like a perfect weekend. Thanks for sharing.

Bosoxfan20 likes this.
  5. nesarebad

nesarebad Pooh-Bah (1,804) Feb 4, 2012 Massachusetts
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Me - Everest. Sherpa's preferred HT unanimously though. K2 is in the works at the moment...

6. DmouthCaliBrewz

DmouthCaliBrewz Initiate (0) Mar 29, 2013 New Hampshire
    Trader

You sir, you are doing it right. Damn Duuuuude.

And by it, I mean life.

Fuckin cheers dude, and I rarely use that sign off.....

Old_Jeffro likes this.
  7. teamwiggum

teamwiggum Pooh-Bah (1,950) Nov 30, 2008 Wisconsin
    Pooh-Bah Trader

Only had the pleasure of having Double Jack once but fell in love with it. Damn shame it's so hard for me to find even relatively fresh...

8. SnowFlowMfg

SnowFlowMfg Initiate (0) Dec 13, 2011 California

That's awesome. I love hiking and camping with good brews. Glad you had fun in my backyard!

And the battle between heady and Pliny continues. Lol

9. deekyn

deekyn Initiate (0) Dec 20, 2011 California

Isn't great to be able to see such a beautiful place and escape the traffic of Yosemite valley so easily. It's an amazing place to visit. I live and work there by the way!

10. RBassSFHOPit2ME

RBassSFHOPit2ME Initiate (0) Mar 1, 2009 California
    Deactivated

Well, if the Sherpa's say so...

11. fredmugs

fredmugs Initiate (0) Aug 11, 2012 Indiana
    Deactivated

I doubt it because the Yellowstone Valley isn't that high up. When I hiked the PCT/JMT last ear I drank at Reds Meadow in the Mammoth Lakes area and it's around 7,700 feet (plus went to Mammoth Brrewing). After reading your post I wish I would have taken beers up to the two highest peaks in the continental US last year. Whitney at 14,505 and Elbert at 14,440.

12. jmw

jmw Initiate (0) Feb 4, 2009 North Carolina

Ah but a beer on a peak does not a tasting make. Morty has set a bar!
    Now I wonder if taste perception is altered at altitude. Review the same beer at 10K and then in the lowlands. This has all kinds of possibilities.

fredmugs likes this.
  13. dcgunman

dcgunman Pooh-Bah (2,608) Jul 1, 2009 California
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Some great beers at one of the world's most beautiful spots. Good to be alive to see Yosemite and drinking some great beers! As far as your rankings. Good call. We all have our preferences on taste. I would rank Alpine Nelson at the top and pliny in my top 5. Heady in my top ten. And so on. Thanks for posting some great pics.

14. BUNZILLA

BUNZILLA Initiate (0) Jan 14, 2011 Indiana

Looks like a great time and place to enjoy brews. Yosemite is one of my most favorite places on earth. I snapped this picture while sippin on RR Supplication.

[​IMG]

15. Anita05

Anita05 Initiate (0) Dec 30, 2009 California

I too prefer Double Jack over PtE. And that Denogg...another yummy winner.

16. Angst

Angst Initiate (0) Nov 8, 2007 California

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I try and go at least once a year with a buddy of mine. This is from our last trip. We just drank at our campsite, not nearly as nice as your pics! Next time, we may have to follow your lead and drink at a more scenic location.
    Great thread and thanks for sharing! Next time you head up to Yosemite shoot me a message and we'll try and meet you guys up there if you're interested.

17. Angst

Angst Initiate (0) Nov 8, 2007 California

[​IMG]

One more pic :slight_smile:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.