Fantome Clos Préal 2011 Batch 2 vs Extra Sour

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by MagnusBrewing, Aug 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MagnusBrewing

MagnusBrewing Initiate (0) Mar 26, 2009 New Jersey

Someone mentioned to me that Fantome Clos Préal 2011 Batch 2 is very similar (if not the same) as the Fantome Extra Sour brewed for Shelton Bros. anyone have both or can answer this for me? Reviews wouldn't really make it seem like they were that similar.

2. danybrew

danybrew Initiate (0) Feb 8, 2010 Belgium

hello Magnus ... not at all .. never i ge another label on my beers !! surely !!
    Clos P. Batch 1 Clos was Blond !!
    clos P. 2d is amber with many!! differents Hops, from Belgium and USA,
    ( like .. Pionneer) and different more "soft" yeast !
    Xtra S is more blond with my Fantome yeast and Challenger hops!..

..n ext Month "will be seeing" a Second Xtra Sour but dark ! ..just wait and see ..
    Cheers,
    Dany, simple Ft brewer...

3. Ragu2387

Ragu2387 Initiate (0) Jan 19, 2011 New Jersey

Keep That good stuff coming!

danybrew likes this.
  4. stakem

stakem Grand Pooh-Bah (4,070) Feb 20, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

They are VERY different beers. Batch 2 Clos Preal is very bitter and has lots of hebal hop flavoring that is almost like a veggie character.

Clos Preal Batch 1 however is very similar to Extra Sour in my opinion but extra sour has more tartness and fruity quality like the normal Fantome Saison but with a touch of fresh cracked black pepper. Clos Preal B1 is less tart, fruity and more yeasty.

Thats just my experience, hope that helps.

danybrew and BdubleEdubleRUN like this.
  5. danybrew

danybrew Initiate (0) Feb 8, 2010 Belgium

thanks for your good comments !! i'm not a expert in english language .. sorry !!!

6. Keffa

Keffa Initiate (0) Jan 8, 2009 Ohio

You don't have to apologize Dany, just the fact that you post on here shows your dedication to your product.

Cheers!

ChiTownPackFan and danybrew like this.
  7. chippo33

chippo33 Pooh-Bah (1,959) Feb 29, 2012 Vermont
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Does anyone know the diference in these bottles? The one I just got says biere de garde and 10% on the back. On BA it says ? for abv and saison for batch one and 10% and BdG for batch two, so I am leaning toward the fact that I have batch two...when I was supposed to get batch 1.

8. TMonk2112

TMonk2112 Initiate (0) May 9, 2007 Wisconsin

Batch1 had black foil while batch2 had gold.

9. chippo33

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

any difference in the back label itself?

10. TMonk2112

TMonk2112 Initiate (0) May 9, 2007 Wisconsin

Just looked at them side by side and there is no difference in the labels whatsoever. (front or back) Foil color appears to be the only distinguishing feature.

11. chippo33

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Thanks! I wonder why Beer Advocate has a "?" for abv on the batch 1, and why it says Biere de Garde on the back

12. stakem

stakem Grand Pooh-Bah (4,070) Feb 20, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

The abv and beer style are completely at the mercy of the person who adds the beer on BA. It is quite possible they had the beer at a tasting or didnt read the label when writing their review. If you want it added, you can report an update on the beer's page.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.