Beer and Weight Loss

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by SummitSeries72, Jun 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SummitSeries72

SummitSeries72 Zealot (516) Mar 17, 2011 New Jersey

Enjoying beer and attempting to lose weight are two concepts that are, practically speaking, almost irreconcilable. I know that a beer or two is not overly problematic. But, let's face it, who wants to stop after a beer or two? Also, beers with higher ABVs (think IPAs, stouts, etc.) tend to pack on gut quicker. I was just wondering what insights and tips people might have to keep the weight off while enjoying our favorite beverage of choice (beer) at the same time.

2. Stevedore

Stevedore Grand Pooh-Bah (5,072) Nov 16, 2012 Oregon
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Hit the gym.

KWMiles, Theniz, cfrances33 and 15 others like this.
  3. fineout

fineout Crusader (499) Apr 23, 2010 Rhode Island

i stopped drinking beer on weekdays unless its a special occasion, if you want to get serious about losing weight dont get serious about taking beer as a hobby, if you want to lose some weight watch what you eat and excersize a lot. its really pretty simple.

4. bramsdell

bramsdell Initiate (0) May 27, 2011 North Carolina

Not irreconcilable at all:

Energy in vs. energy out. If they are equal, you will maintain. More in = weight gain; more out = weight loss.

It's pretty easy to figure out how much energy you expend every day. Spend a few minutes online with a few calculators and you can do it.

Insight: Drink less. Or don't and exercise more. Also, eat as little processed food as possible and don't eat other crap. Enjoy drinking and eating, but adhere to some of the basic facts of nutrition and energy.

SteveB24, Damian74, Theniz and 14 others like this.
  5. HomeBrewed

HomeBrewed Initiate (0) Dec 10, 2006 Minnesota

Eat healthy and exercise daily. Works for me.

6. TheGoof

TheGoof Initiate (0) Apr 10, 2013 Michigan

If you have the time, just work out more. If you don't have the time to work out a lot, you're going to have to cut back somewhere with food/beer.

7. pcsnyder

pcsnyder Zealot (677) May 2, 2011 Pennsylvania

If you really want to lose weight, pay attention to your daily intake of calories, fat, and fiber, and get plenty of exercise. As long as you burn more calories per day than you consume, you should lose weight (generally speaking). You can still allot enough calories for a beer or two, as long as you're up and moving around enough to burn off the extra calories. Just don't pick beers with a high calorie count.

8. loafinaround

loafinaround Initiate (0) Jul 16, 2011 New York

only 1 beer a day.... and try to avoid too many caloric 16% abv stout bombs.

And hit the gym... big time. I'm dropping weight with my 1 resin/day habit. I'm doing 30 min cardio and 40 min weight training 6 days a week, and maintaining a reasonable diet.

musicman7070 likes this.
  9. barleywinefiend

barleywinefiend Initiate (0) Nov 22, 2007 Washington
    Deactivated

Going on 70 days now w/o a beer. 16 pounds down.
    Cardio. Diet. Weights.

10. SummitSeries72

Yes, but I find that the better beers tend to have a higher calorie count. I love stouts and IPAs, but they are not low in calories.

11. LeeMarvin

LeeMarvin Zealot (606) Jan 15, 2005 Massachusetts

If I cut beer out of my diet, I'd drop 20 pounds in a month.

12. SpeedwayJim

SpeedwayJim Pooh-Bah (2,753) Jun 19, 2009 New York
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

If you're drinking beer, I assume you're of age. If you're of age, act like it. Practice some self control.

Also, stop eating shit food when you're drinking. Its usually not that IPA or Saison that's giving you spare tires. Its those chips and guac that you're eating while you're drinking that IPA or Saison.

Losing weight isn't hard. Its the mindset behind losing the weight that is hard.

13. SummitSeries72

Congrats and good for you. But, keep in mind, or reread the original post: I was hoping to lose weight and keep the beer.

Shogun730 likes this.
  14. BearsOnAcid

BearsOnAcid Pooh-Bah (2,215) Mar 17, 2009 Massachusetts
    Pooh-Bah Society

Drink in moderation or exercise more. There's not really any shortcut around this. Replace drinking with lighter, flavorful beers and if you really can't stop after a beer or two then you need to fix that. Skip some drinking if you want a high abv beer or cut out some snacks.

15. Dburke

Dburke Initiate (0) Oct 17, 2012 Massachusetts

Easy answer: At the end of the day all that matters in calories in vs. calories out. If you burn more calories than you take in, you will lose weight, if you take in more calories than you burn, you will gain weight.

HOWEVER

Something to keep in mind- your body is constantly burning fat all day long to keep you alive (fat metabolism),BUT as we know, alcohol is toxic to the body. When alcohol is consumed all fat metabolism is halted in order to rid the alcohol.

IF you have still created that caloric deficit even with the consumption of beer you will be fine and you can afford the stop in fat burning. If you have taken in too many calories during the day the stoppage of fat burning will only lead to fat storage with the extra calories consumed.

16. ESeab

ESeab Initiate (0) Jan 3, 2013 New Jersey

Not by the looks of your avatar>

BeerBob, FPWolff, 2beerdogs and 3 others like this.
  17. GimmeGumballHead

GimmeGumballHead Initiate (0) Dec 4, 2010 Illinois

this is surprisingly accurate. I did 2 weeks before the tough mudder without any alcohol and steady workout, I lsot 10 lbs. Of course I put it all back on in 2 days because of Chicago Craft Beer Week :grinning:

sholle, ChanChan and LeeMarvin like this.
  18. GimmeGumballHead

GimmeGumballHead Initiate (0) Dec 4, 2010 Illinois

Hot yoga is also a great way to keep the toxins and bad fatty stuff out of your system... sweating in general is healthy.

Dracarys and Psykhe like this.
  19. SummitSeries72

Which is an excellent point. In my younger days, a lifetime ago, it seems, another mind-altering substance always seemed to bring on "the munchies." I never hear people talk about beer and "the munchies." But I definitely believe that there is the same relationship.

20. barleywinefiend

barleywinefiend Initiate (0) Nov 22, 2007 Washington
    Deactivated

I saw and good luck with that boss.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.