$16 SA BB3... Fair or Foul?

Discussion in 'Southwest' started by Grendle, Jun 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FUNKPhD

FUNKPhD Initiate (0) Apr 13, 2010 Texas

That's what's up, as it seemed in other states I was hearing about 25$. I wish I could've ran into HEB and got a 4pk for 19,99...

rainerschuhsler likes this.
  2. HopAG

HopAG Savant (1,137) Sep 22, 2012 Texas

Here Here!

Great feedback fellow BAs!

3. bccocx

bccocx Initiate (0) Jan 13, 2007 Texas

Definitely a fair response. I'm interested to hear what SA has to say. Maybe a mis-communication between BEK and The Friendly Spot? I'd like to give them the benefit of the doubt, but I believe BB2 was also priced at $16

Beernerds likes this.
  4. aschwab

aschwab Initiate (0) Mar 3, 2009 Texas

And KBS....

5. Danielbt

Danielbt Initiate (0) May 4, 2012 Texas

This was exactly my response after reading that pablum.

Jody, is is ridiculous to claim that you were getting "unfairly beat up on" when people were reporting the exact price you are charging for a beer, and pointing out it is twice what other bars charge for those beers.

Unless the truth is somehow "unfair" to you. :rolling_eyes:

13DegN, mrkmrk, TexasStout and 2 others like this.
  6. FUNKPhD

FUNKPhD Initiate (0) Apr 13, 2010 Texas

I am a little bummed that this Jody character didn't say that they were trying to be friendly...:slight_frown:

Phil_S, wsnich, DanzBorin and 2 others like this.
  7. aschwab

I am also confused how it is unfair? We are asking for justification for their prices. Their prices are established by them and they seem high for what they offer.

If that is unfair criticism and asking for a response, then what would fair be?

TexasStout, ExperimentalAles and air like this.
  8. pwsoldier

pwsoldier Initiate (0) Apr 26, 2007 Minnesota

Our local SA rep was a part of yesterday's Twitter conversation (@saintarnoldSATX).

mattisloco likes this.
  9. aschwab

Their response to my email (same as my post more or less)....

*****, Thanks for your email.
    The menu is something we have struggled with. We are currently working with Monk's Tool Box for a listing system. It is going much slower than I thought but, everything always does. I have recently been looking into taplister. Do you have any suggestions?
    I have a meeting with my management shortly about pricing. I'll get back with you.
    I could really use help and suggestions on the listing. We have over 250 bottles and 76 taps. Please let me know if you have ideas.

10. starkmarvelo

starkmarvelo Initiate (0) Jan 20, 2010 Texas

I don't think I will be visiting this place. She's probably really good at dodgeball.

jerryquijano and TexasStout like this.
  11. aschwab

As someone in a dodgeball league, I may have a space open for more females.

TexasStout, FUNKPhD and starkmarvelo like this.
  12. TTUJohn

TTUJohn Initiate (0) Nov 13, 2012 Texas

I don't understand this.
    There are plenty of bars that have a lot of different beers and most of them have prices clearly listed or displayed. Especially based on the fact that this place apparently (I've never been) has screens that show ABV, IBU etc, maybe I am missing something, but I don't understand how hard it could be to have a column for price

13. LadyOfMuchBeer

LadyOfMuchBeer Initiate (0) Apr 30, 2011 Texas

Unfortunately, as a restaurant/bar only release series, Saint Arnold created this environment for this series. Certain establishments have more of a restaurant style high mark-up, and bottles will fall into that category, just like a bottle of wine. In case anyone did NOT know, that $80-$100 bottle of wine at your favorite restaurant is about $20-25 off the shelf.

14. starkmarvelo

starkmarvelo Initiate (0) Jan 20, 2010 Texas

You guys are pissed about a good beer being overpriced, come to Vegas. Sugar Factory has 12oz Pabst Blue Ribbon for $3.

15. mattisloco

mattisloco Maven (1,294) Feb 13, 2007 Texas
    Trader

Shhhh! What happens there stays there... except herpes.

starkmarvelo likes this.
  16. aschwab

It gets me everytime :slight_frown:

17. Beernerds

Beernerds Initiate (0) Dec 7, 2011 Texas

After a few emails back and forth, Jody from TFS assured me that she's looking into the pricing issue with their GM and bar manager. She said she'll come back to us when she has more information, which she expects to happen by next week. I'll report back.

Grendle likes this.
  18. Lutter

Lutter Initiate (0) Jun 30, 2010 Texas
    Deactivated

19. dancingbearpub

dancingbearpub Initiate (0) Apr 13, 2007 Texas

Come on peoples, either buy it or don't. I doubt they charged $16 to hurt your feelings.

I've enjoyed the Friendly Spot the times I've been there and didn't feel over-charged. They are independently owned and employee some great people. They have big selection of craft beer and great spot to drink it. They do some real positive things to help shape the craft beer scene in San Antonio and should get credit for that.
    I hope everyone did end up finding a bottle, because it was fantastic.

20. aschwab

To me, it is not that they sold it for $16 as much as not warning people it was $16 when they ordered it and not having the prices listed.

But $16 is still high.

HopAG likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.