America vs Canada

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Hdredfern, Jun 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ricelikesbeer

Ricelikesbeer Maven (1,389) Nov 29, 2006 Colorado
    Trader

Who else is on the same level as the two breweries I mentioned? I havent' tried a ton of canadian beers, but I've had enough to formulate on overall opinion, which isnt' great overall. But I'm sure I'm missing out on some local breweries we don't get here in the states.

2. WilderPegasus

WilderPegasus Initiate (0) Dec 16, 2012 Canada (ON)

Dunham, Great Lakes, Charlevoix, Central City.

3. WilderPegasus

WilderPegasus Initiate (0) Dec 16, 2012 Canada (ON)

Where do you find this for the same cost as a case of Bud? I can't find it in Quebec in anything other than a six pack and nothing cheaper than $10 on the shelf.

NickMGlass likes this.
  4. Damico

Damico Initiate (0) Aug 8, 2008 Pennsylvania

Every year I visit a wonderful little beer shop in Quebec City called Depanneur de la Rive, with over 800 selections. They are ecstatic when I call them the week before asking for sours and fresh IPAs, since they know I can get them in the Philly area. The reason is Canada doesn't brew sours regularly, which they told me is illegal in the country related to Health and Safety standards, and because they just don't produce IPAs the way we do (hops to your dome delicious). I have spent over $300 a year on Canadian craft bottles for the past 5 years (as I have been made fun of by my local Philly crew, best selection on Earth), and still haven't found a delicious IPA. I do love Unibroue and Dieu du Ciel and respect them for what they excel at in terms of Belgian ales, stouts, etc..

5. Damico

I do love this beer as well, and I purchase the BA version which is well worth it.

6. Tut

Tut Initiate (0) Sep 23, 2004 New York

You most definitely are and I don't have time to list them all.

7. Tut

Tut Initiate (0) Sep 23, 2004 New York

Why do so many Americans find fault when other countries "just don't produce IPA's(or other styles) the way we do"?

I much prefer traditional English IPA's to our overhopped versions and many Canadian IPA's are similar. They're not inferior, just different. When I go to Canada, Germany, Britain, etc., I enjoy their brewing traditions and don't try to find beers like ours. If people can't do that they should just stay here and drink the same stuff they always do.

keithmurray likes this.
  8. Jewmagic151

Jewmagic151 Aspirant (253) May 31, 2013 Kansas

Flying monkeys is a couple hours north east of Windsor and they have some of the Hughes ibu beers on the planet

9. Brad007

Brad007 Pooh-Bah (2,797) Mar 28, 2007 Vermont
    Pooh-Bah

Do you have to pay a duty tax or anything? I've always been confused about the laws concerning beer purchases across the Canadian border.

10. djsmith1174

djsmith1174 Pundit (991) Aug 21, 2005 Minnesota

There are some really good ones from Canada, but proportionately they are quite a bit behind the United States. Sorry Canadians. :wink:

11. SpunkyHopslammer

SpunkyHopslammer Initiate (0) Jan 18, 2011 Illinois

Golic has proven he knows nothing about beer by making a statement like that.

Mike and Mike should just stick to spewing how little they know by continuing to talk about east coast sports. Why they have been allowed to keep broadcasting in Chicago about east coast sports for as long as they have is a joke.

12. decimator

decimator Initiate (0) Jun 1, 2009 Canada (ON)

The SAQ is strange that way. They carry almost nothing from the US or from elsewhere in Canada. European beers though, no problem.

13. NickMGlass

NickMGlass Initiate (0) Jun 21, 2012 Vermont

As of today, there will be 5 Quebecois Breweries (surprisingly Uniboue isn't one of them) at the Vermont Brewers Festival that i will surely hit up for samples. i'll report on my findings :slight_smile:

14. RichardMNixon

RichardMNixon Initiate (0) Jun 24, 2012 Pennsylvania

I was there a few months back and really enjoyed Benelux as well. Good beer with a very spacious, laid-back bar.

duchessedubourg likes this.
  15. Damico

You are allowed, technically, a specific amount per person, ie one case, one bottle of liquer or wine. Otherwise you are supposed to report what you are bringing across and pay a nominal fee. It is a small percent, like 3 or 4 percent I think.

16. Sam_Frank

Sam_Frank Initiate (0) Nov 29, 2012 California

when it comes to being self-righteious and wearing flag patches when traveling abroad, Canada wins

17. ericj551

ericj551 Pooh-Bah (1,638) Apr 29, 2004 Canada (AB)
    Pooh-Bah

You're missing out on a ton. I'm skewed towards the west coast, but Driftwood, Central City and Parallel 49 all produce world class beers. I've seen a few bombers of Driftwood in Seattle and I know Central City used to make it as far as Maine, but I don't think they make it very far. There is tons of good stuff up here, but so little of it makes it across the border I don't think you're getting a fair representation.

18. mtomlins

mtomlins Pooh-Bah (1,561) Mar 12, 2010 Canada (ON)
    Pooh-Bah

Cool, thanks for the tip!

19. ImperialStoat

ImperialStoat Initiate (0) May 20, 2009 Ireland

'Murica! 'Murica! 'Murica!

20. nc41

nc41 Initiate (0) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

Who cares about stronger? You want stronger drink Vodka. IF Golic likes Molson good for him, and that's just fine, but from a ND guy his reasoning is ridiculous.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.