Marshall Wharf Cans

Discussion in 'New England' started by MVP09, Jul 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MVP09

MVP09 Initiate (0) Oct 19, 2012 Massachusetts

Up in Durham for a few days. I have gotten Cant Dog at The Vault in Lewiston or Auburn. Anyone see any other stuff around? Was gonna head to Bootleggers or stop at RSVP on the way back to Mass

2. stearns16

stearns16 Initiate (0) Jan 11, 2010 Connecticut

Ace Hole is out

3. Bowdoinbeerboy

Bowdoinbeerboy Initiate (0) Sep 28, 2006 Maine

They have Ace Hole at the Bier Cellar in Portland.

4. jakeaustin

jakeaustin Initiate (0) Dec 23, 2007 Maine

I have nothing to add except that Ace Hole is outstanding.

5. BearsOnAcid

BearsOnAcid Pooh-Bah (2,215) Mar 17, 2009 Massachusetts
    Pooh-Bah Society

I picked up fresh Ace Hole at Tully's in the beginning of July. One 4-pack was so-so and the other was really malty/buttery but both were way too expensive.

6. MVP09

Gonna swing by Bier Cellar. Also maybe RSVP and Allagash. MW is expensive though. Cant Dog 4 pack was $18 I think. Thanks for info

7. WesFoxlove

WesFoxlove Initiate (0) Jun 12, 2013 Massachusetts

Bier Cellar and Tully's are my two Go-To stores for Marshall Wharf cans - I believe both stores charge around $4.25 a can, and I'm pretty sure Bier Cellar has a small price-break for 4packs ($16 I think).

Fresh Ace Hole is amazing... I'm going to bring back a case next trip North for sure.

Leebo likes this.
  8. MVP09

Got some at Tully's. I hate that it's so pricey, but I am a sucker for 16oz craft cans!

9. BierCellar

BierCellar Devotee (327) Apr 5, 2012 Maine

Fresh Ace Hole this afternoon, $15.99 for a four pack. We are getting two cases, will go quickly.

10. Casey10

Casey10 Pundit (977) Feb 10, 2008 Maine
    Trader

Have not seen any Marshall Wharf at Bootleggers in Topsham. I have been told that Morning Glory in Brunswick carries Marshall Wharf product.

11. chrisfromboston

chrisfromboston Crusader (440) Feb 20, 2009 Massachusetts
    Trader

A-ha! I had a similar experience. The 7/2 batch was amazing but the 7/12 batch was a real letdown. Got the same buttery/malty flavors that you did... was a real bummer sharing the 7/12 batch with friends when I told them it was going to be a delicious/hoppy APA.

12. BearsOnAcid

BearsOnAcid Pooh-Bah (2,215) Mar 17, 2009 Massachusetts
    Pooh-Bah Society

My cans were dated 7/2 which further shows some inconsistency.

13. marcdalke

marcdalke Initiate (0) Mar 9, 2009 Connecticut

Am I wrong to assume that if I make the trip to the actual brewery (planning a trip in a couple of weeks) I can easily grab some cans at the source?

14. WesFoxlove

WesFoxlove Initiate (0) Jun 12, 2013 Massachusetts

Not really a safe assumption - They often have cans sitting out inside the tasting room, ready to ship to stores, BUT they are not always available to the public. Maybe that has changed after the first few batches, but definitely do not pass on AceHole can in southern Maine assuming they will be plentiful in Belfast.

Even if they don't have cans, the trip there is definitely still worth your time. They'll have 7-8 beers on tap for growlers, and 20+ beers available at the bar inside. You can trying emailing 3Tides ahead of time to ask about can availability, but in my experience Tully's and Bier Cellar are still your best options for MW cans.

15. marcdalke

marcdalke Initiate (0) Mar 9, 2009 Connecticut

For sure we still plan on visiting!
    Thanks for the good info...I'll keep my eyes open on the way up to ME.

16. MVP09

Just had an Ace Hole tonight wow that was a good beer. Dated 7/24. Super hoppy APA. The Sorachi Ace must be the bittering hop then citra is along for ride. Although the citra lingers in after taste. Awesome beer!

17. Chowdahead

Chowdahead Initiate (0) Jan 26, 2008 Maine

This is true. There are pretty much always cans at Morning Glory since not a ton of people go there with the intention of buying beer.

18. chrisfromboston

chrisfromboston Crusader (440) Feb 20, 2009 Massachusetts
    Trader

Belfast Co-op is a good bet for cans too. Good for people watching as well.

19. amp138

amp138 Initiate (0) Dec 21, 2011 Rhode Island

I still have never had Cant Dog, but I was in a liquor store when I was up in Portland buying some fresh Lunch, some dude dropped like a full four pack of Cant Dog, it broke open and just sprayed the beer everywhere. It smelled absolutely pungent and hoppy as hell. No idea why I didn't put the Lunch down and grab one of their cans.

20. Stormfield

Stormfield Pundit (921) Feb 21, 2011 Massachusetts

I was in Wells this week, and I found three cans of Ace Hole (7/24 batch) on the shelf at Tully's this morning. I bought two them, and left the third one on the shelf. As much as I wanted all three of them, it just felt like bad karma to buy them all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.