Pumpkin beer recommendations?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by AlienSwineFlu, Aug 4, 2013.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Derranged

Derranged Initiate (0) Mar 7, 2010 New York

Southern Tier Pumking. Last night I had some that had expired sometime in 2012, it still tasted good.

2. TheOriginal

TheOriginal Devotee (391) Feb 6, 2011 North Carolina

Cottonwood Pumpkin (now brewed by Foothills)

Bieregod likes this.
  3. DrewskiWhit

DrewskiWhit Initiate (0) Mar 22, 2013 Indiana
    Trader

Schafly obviously is very good but i can pound some pumpkin head

4. JohnSnowNW

JohnSnowNW Initiate (0) Feb 6, 2013 Minnesota

I think O'Fallon Pumpkin Ale is underrated, and definitely worthy of a try.

5. ChefHopMeister

ChefHopMeister Initiate (0) Aug 3, 2010 Virginia

No need to go any further than Alewerks Pumpkin Ale. Hands down the best. First sighting of the season today (earliest batch I've seen) as the first batch has hit the shelves locally. Based on the previous years, I anticipate they will produce no less than 12 batches. That's a far cry from the original 1-2 batches when this stuff first hit the market just 3 years ago!

6. ChefHopMeister

ChefHopMeister Initiate (0) Aug 3, 2010 Virginia

Those claiming the best Pumpkin beer to be something other than Williamsburg Alewerks Pumpkin Ale, haven't tried Williamsburg Alewerks Pumpkin Ale...IMHO.

philbe311 likes this.
  7. billbeers

billbeers Pundit (802) Jun 14, 2012 Pennsylvania

Dogfish Punk

BeerKangaroo likes this.
  8. Fluffheady

Fluffheady Initiate (0) Jan 30, 2013 Illinois

Wild Onion! In a can. Amazing.

midnitesun11 and Nofear048 like this.
  9. BeerKangaroo

BeerKangaroo Initiate (0) May 30, 2011 Alaska
    Deactivated

Sam Adams Fat Jack and DFH Punkin - nothing else for me, however slightly interested in Elysian's Night Owl and Schlafly's Pumpkin if I see them. Pretty sure I won't see DFH Punkin here in AK, oh well, they're just pumpkin ales and not the end of the world if I never see them.

jus10savestheday likes this.
  10. Budinetz

Budinetz Initiate (0) Dec 29, 2010 Pennsylvania

Agreed...Weyerbacher Imperial Pumpkin is delicious!

11. Budinetz

Budinetz Initiate (0) Dec 29, 2010 Pennsylvania

You have not had the right pumpkin beer my friend...

12. 4amepiphany

4amepiphany Initiate (0) Feb 16, 2013 Illinois

Pumking. It's full of flavor, strong, and inexpensive!

I really want to try Barrel Aged Frog's Hollow Double Pumpkin Ale, but I don't know if I want to shell out $17.99..

Kuaff likes this.
  13. sudsellier

sudsellier Initiate (0) Dec 1, 2009 Florida

Seriously, breweries. What the hell? 98% of the US is still wearing out their a/c units. No one wants to drink a pumpkin and spice ale right now. That's a warming Fall flavor. So why is everyone falling in with this "Christmas comes earlier every year" mentality? Shipyard, Terrapin, Southern Tier, Smuttynose, Weyerbacher... too much! Is there any discernible reason at all to release these so early? You know they're going to sell, so sell them when it's apropos. Someone call Susan Powter to stop the insanity, please.

Janeinma and ScottyG like this.
  14. otispdriftwood

otispdriftwood Initiate (0) Dec 9, 2011 Colorado

Brewers are the same as retailers - that is, they all want to be first. Was out at Costco yesterday and saw racks upon racks of Halloween costumes. In early August! Used to be the Christmas shopping season started the day after T-Day with "Black Friday". Now it starts after Halloween and Black Friday is the middle of the shopping season. The only thing we as consumers can do is to avoid buying until the proper time, but there are those who have been convinced if they don't buy early, they'll miss something. The same seems to hold true for beer lovers. Buy it now, or miss getting it.

utopiajane and azorie like this.
  15. BorisKarloff

BorisKarloff Initiate (0) Apr 29, 2013 Ohio

This mummy would drink pumpkin and spice beers all year round if he could.

yuichituba likes this.
  16. Celtics76

Celtics76 Pooh-Bah (1,769) Sep 5, 2011 Rhode Island
    Pooh-Bah Society

I don't see this as a huge deal. Buy now, consume Sep/Oct/Nov. The beer will still be good.

17. otispdriftwood

otispdriftwood Initiate (0) Dec 9, 2011 Colorado

Maybe yes, maybe no. I hope you know the rest.

18. ShanePB

ShanePB Initiate (0) Sep 6, 2010 Pennsylvania

Same thing happened last August. And the one before that, and the one before that...

19. powerss13

powerss13 Initiate (0) Apr 5, 2009 Kansas

This really depends what region you are in. For the most part of the country, the answer is most likely NO...but for certain areas, it is definitely a good time to, at least, get started with some of them. I will admit that, even though it is still 90s to 100s here, I will indulge in a couple pumpkins early just to excite my palate for the future month.

20. LostTraveler

LostTraveler Initiate (0) Oct 28, 2011 Maine

I know its easy but what is the best of the best, must try pumpkin beers. Want to start getting an idea of what I want to tick off through the fall and may have to do some trades to obtain them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.