Best "GATEWAY" beer for someone new to IPAs

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by fugazidps, Aug 8, 2013.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DogfishJoe

DogfishJoe Initiate (0) Feb 14, 2010 Ohio

Came here to say this!

2. AdamsDTD

AdamsDTD Initiate (0) Jun 5, 2011 Massachusetts

That's why I originally suggested SN Pale/All Day/60 Min. It's impossible to simply say "name a good starting IPA for someone" because there are so many flavor profiles and individual taste preferences. To this day I don't like medicinal/herbal hop profiles, so what if that had been my first experience with a hoppy beer? If someone's entire beer experience has been BMC or easier drinking craft, would you hand them a Heady or a 90 min? No. If someone is looking for a taste of hops, but something lighter, I think All Day is a good choice. It's tough to find a session IPA that someone won't call "watery" - we aren't used to lighter malt profiles with our hop bombs. It confuses the hell out of our palates.

3. VictorWisc

VictorWisc Maven (1,355) Jan 2, 2013 Massachusetts

Don't know if Boulevard will bring their sessionable to MA, as I haven't seen any mixed cases. But that should be high on your list to try. Not having tasted it, it's hard to guess, but chances are it may blow Founders out of the water. Or it may totally suck, but I doubt it. They are promising 100IBU, so it's certainly not going to be gateway beer.

4. AdamsDTD

AdamsDTD Initiate (0) Jun 5, 2011 Massachusetts

Lawson's Spring Fever is great, but we all know how easy it is to get specific beers by them.

VictorWisc likes this.
  5. TheGator321

TheGator321 Initiate (0) May 29, 2013 Connecticut

drink only fresh ipa's. doesn't matter which one, try them all. preferably brewery fresh.

jdaddy likes this.
  6. bnuno

bnuno Initiate (0) Feb 8, 2011 California

Lagunitas IPA
    easy to find, affordable, not to high on alcohol and not to bitter. Perfect for a gateway IPA

7. bnuno

bnuno Initiate (0) Feb 8, 2011 California

Why are so many people recommending Double IPAs? are they really a gateway IPAs for the majority of people?

8. thatoneguymike

thatoneguymike Pooh-Bah (1,947) Sep 18, 2012 Georgia
    Pooh-Bah

The first IPA that I enjoyed & brought me over to the hop side was Terrapin Hopsecutioner.

One of the few IPA's that my girlfriend likes was the Stone Enjoy By. And likes Ruinten. Not much else. Go figure.

But, I can certainly side with/agree with most suggestions that have been talked here...DFH 60 min, Sweetwater IPA, SNPA, Two-Hearted...and, while stretching it for the category, Lagunitas A Little Sumpin Sumpin, which I don't know anyone that hasn't liked that.

9. Act25

Act25 Pooh-Bah (2,741) Nov 8, 2010 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society

Full Sail IPA is the traditional American early days IPA - great start.

DEFINITELY NOT DIPAs!

10. Dools9

Dools9 Initiate (0) Jul 5, 2011 Massachusetts

I'd say SNPA or Harpoon IPA, you want something that isn't going to be overly bitter which can turn people off to the style.

DrStiffington and Beerista like this.
  11. TheBrewo

TheBrewo Initiate (0) Nov 11, 2010 New York

60 Minute is what tipped the scales for both of us actually, but now that I'm thinking about it, the earliest one to strike intrigue was Harpoon IPA.

DrStiffington likes this.
  12. jmwildwest

jmwildwest Initiate (0) Mar 10, 2013 Florida

DFH , 2HEARTED or just go straight for a Heady or a Headhunter. If you don't like those Forget about it.

13. joelwlcx

joelwlcx Initiate (0) Apr 23, 2007 Minnesota

14. sukwonee

sukwonee Initiate (0) Dec 13, 2011 Washington

15. Roguer

Roguer Grand High Pooh-Bah (7,757) Mar 25, 2013 Connecticut
    Super Mod Pooh-Bah Society Trader

My first IPA, ever, was Enjoy By, so I kind of did things in the wrong order. That said, I echo what many people here have said: DFH 60.

Alternatively, depending on what's available:
    Flower Power
    Union Jack
    DFH 90
    Jai Alai
    Torpedo

All of them are tasty and smooth, and the hoppier entries aren't excessively astringent. There are some doubles that pass that test, too (Pliny comes to mind), but for most IPA newbies, I'd steer them away from DIPAs.

16. Droogins

Droogins Initiate (0) Sep 4, 2012 Massachusetts

or LUNCH :slight_smile:

GuitarIPA likes this.
  17. onrivertime

onrivertime Initiate (0) Apr 11, 2013 Georgia

Lagunitas IPA is one of my favorites. (Say "Lah Goo Knee Tuss")
    It is refreshingly hoppy, well balanced and easy to drink.

18. teamwiggum

teamwiggum Pooh-Bah (1,950) Nov 30, 2008 Wisconsin
    Pooh-Bah Trader

For me it was Dale's, and then Central Waters' Glacial Trail IPA.

19. MrKsBeer

MrKsBeer Initiate (0) Mar 31, 2009 Massachusetts

Actually, my wife doesn't like hoppy beers, and loved Heady Topper. I think it has a more approachable (fruitier) hop character than some of the bitter bombs out there. I think it turns some people off to IPAs if they start with Arrogant Bastard or even 90 min or Torpedo... you have to work your way up to that intense bitterness. Start with light and fruity hops, Heady Topper, Flower Power, even Racer 5 (Bear Republic) or Hop Notch by Uinta.

The other thing you can do is buy a hefeweisen, and mix it so that your glass is 15% wheat + 85% hoppy IPA. It'll kill just enough of the bitterness that you can enjoy the hop flavors without making sour faces when you swallow.
    Cheers!

20. Rare_Man

Rare_Man Initiate (0) May 15, 2013 Illinois

Probably developed my palate with pale ales (plenty of Moon Man), but (D)IPA's were always too bitter for my liking. Then, one winter I discovered SN Celebration and combo this with accidentally ordering Sucks one night (thought tap list said Brown Shugga but missed the substitute part...)-I've never looked back.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.