Best "GATEWAY" beer for someone new to IPAs

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by fugazidps, Aug 8, 2013.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nc41

nc41 Initiate (0) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

Pliny would be a great starting point, very well balanced for the ABV, not over the top at all. But the guy lives in NY, hence Flower Power, Two Hearted, Racer 5 all great stuff IMO.

ChanChan likes this.
  2. jstevie

jstevie Initiate (0) Jul 9, 2013 Massachusetts

Coming from someone who is not and was never a hop-head, DFH 90 min made me further seek out the style. I think you want to stick with the malty IPA's. You could also try a Belgian IPA. Stay way from anything Stone. After they have acquired the taste, go for Lagunitas Sumpin' and Maximus, Ballast Point Sculpin, Bear Republic Racer 5 or the like to expand their taste buds.

3. Acidisco

Acidisco Initiate (0) Apr 20, 2010 Massachusetts

For someone new to IPA's, the very dry bitter end of the spectrum will probably be off-putting. Pretty Things Meadowlark IPA is now a year round brew, and its citrusy, floral, hint-of-pineapple flavor might just convert someone.

4. Buzzardsuds

Buzzardsuds Initiate (0) May 27, 2013 Ohio

Most mentioned here I think are a little too strong for beginners! I'd start someone on Dale's (mentioned) or Two Brothers Sidekick, which I think is a great starter beer! It's got a nice little nose on it but not overwhelming, taste wise!

5. jstevie

jstevie Initiate (0) Jul 9, 2013 Massachusetts

Many DIPA's are much less hoppy then IPA's. As a non-hop head, I prefer many DIPA's over their little brothers.

6. VictorWisc

VictorWisc Maven (1,355) Jan 2, 2013 Massachusetts

Also, in terms of alcohol, a 12-oz DIPA is a rough equivalent of two small glasses of wine, which the most common consumption, so splitting a bomber between two people is just about right.

7. Weisseguy1

Weisseguy1 Initiate (0) Aug 11, 2013 Texas

I think the real question is should an IPA Be the beer you use to get someone into craft beers. Maybe an APA or a craft lager

8. DWheeler379

DWheeler379 Zealot (747) Jun 15, 2012 Colorado

DIPAs are not less hoppy, they're less bitter. There's a difference. In DIPAs, the extreme amount of hops are often balanced with more sugars.

The most logical gateway IPAs are those that aren't overly bitter up front, as people have mentioned. Some balanced IPAs that aren't too intense are Full Sail IPA and Dogfish Head 60 Minute. Those are balanced with enough malt and even non-IPA fans like them. There are also very hoppy, but more juicy/fruity IPAs that aren't very bitter but are certainly more intense. Some newbies might love them. These are ones like Odell IPA and Bell's Two Hearted. Founders Centennial as well.

If you start with Pale Ales, Sierra Nevada is a logical one, Live is good, Lagunitas New Dogtown, Founders Dry Hopped, Stone PA, etc. Dale's IMO is a bit intense for a PA and new-to-hops person.

I haven't had some west-coast and Maine/NH beers, so can't comment on those.

9. LampertLand

LampertLand Grand Pooh-Bah (3,109) Nov 2, 2011 Canada (BC)
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Sierra Nevada 'Torpedo' American , see it everywhere
    Central City Red Racer IPA (Green can) Canadian
    good startin point's

10. Buzzardsuds

Buzzardsuds Initiate (0) May 27, 2013 Ohio

The thread is "Best Gateway beer for someone new to IPA's" not craft in general!

11. LegalBrew87

LegalBrew87 Initiate (0) Mar 6, 2012 California

Nelson will convert anyone

JayORear and VictorWisc like this.
  12. HoptasticBeergasm

HoptasticBeergasm Initiate (195) Feb 28, 2013 Vermont

Let's just back off a bit with the Big Name IPAs -- remember the person you're converting has NO hop palette, so a 60 min would probably be insanely bitter for them. Even Sierra Nevada Pale Ale was too bitter for me at one point... The non-IPA-initiated will nearly choke on something like Racer 5 or Torpedo!

I second whoever said "anything from Harpoon." Their Leviathan series may be too much, but the rest of the regular offering beers are great starters for a multitude of styles. I suppose the same could be said for Sam Adams; maybe something out of their Hopology series (haven't tried any myself)? Also second the Dales Pale Ale suggestion.

Heady Topper is an outlier. I've had lots of people who are "not IPA fans" tell me they loved Heady. Go figure.

13. sajaffe1

sajaffe1 Initiate (0) Feb 16, 2013 Utah

Oskar Blues G'Night Red IPA is one that I quite like even though IPAs are far from my favorite style. In the Tuscaloosa area, Druid City Lamplighter IPA is a very good local option.

14. FinchSCF

FinchSCF Initiate (0) Aug 22, 2013 Michigan

Agree with Torpedo suggestions, and as a cheating suggestion, Southern Tier Iniquity would be a decent stepping stone... It has the hoppy IPA bite but is smoothed out a bit more and is just fantastic in general.

BurgeoningBrewhead likes this.
  15. socalbrewlvr

socalbrewlvr Initiate (0) Sep 9, 2013 California

Blind Pig or Two Hearted

16. DelMontiac

DelMontiac Initiate (0) Oct 22, 2010 Oklahoma

Ease 'em into it with a Ranger or Two Hearted.

Biffster and Eastside151 like this.
  17. zookerman182

zookerman182 Initiate (0) Oct 8, 2013 Alabama

Green flash west coast was what got me started.
    Bells two hearted I could see being a nice intro to ipas.
    Westbrook IPA I feel would be a solid one too.

18. BPGEFL

BPGEFL Initiate (0) Aug 14, 2013 Virginia

Lagunitas New Dogtown
    Devil's Backbone Eight Point

19. 9uns

9uns Initiate (0) Jun 5, 2013 California

SN Torpedo and Pale ale along with RedHook Long Hammer were the first to hook my hop addiction

20. bpasquini

bpasquini Initiate (0) Feb 26, 2013 California

I think FW pale 31 would be your best bet, very light bitterness and dry mouthfeel, but still has a nice hoppy character to it, no way they will turn it down

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.