Fathers: Beer(s) you opened once wife said "I'm pregnant" with your first born?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by RBassSFHOPit2ME, Aug 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gatornation

gatornation Grand High Pooh-Bah (9,502) Apr 18, 2007 Arizona
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

1st congratulations to you.. Really dont recall if i opened anything but with three kids over the years it did drive me to drink more

2. mikeburd1128

mikeburd1128 Maven (1,409) Oct 28, 2011 New Jersey

I think a much more interesting question would be "what did you drink for your first born vs second born?" I'd imagine the second born would average a much higher alcohol content.

But in all seriousness, congrats OP!

RPH2327 likes this.
  3. cosmonick

cosmonick Initiate (0) Apr 19, 2010 Indiana

Congrats!
    I didn't open anything special the day that I found out my wife was pregnant, but I did pop a Lou Pepe Kriek the day after our daughter was born.

MEW likes this.
  4. RPH2327

RPH2327 Initiate (0) Dec 5, 2010 Pennsylvania

Must be your first - otherwise, you wouldn't be celebrating. Joking! Kids are the best thing in the world (for the most part). At the very least, they're another excuse to drink in the AM. Congrats!

TongoRad likes this.
  5. rocdoc1

rocdoc1 Savant (1,191) Jan 13, 2006 New Mexico

It was probably a Shiner Bock or Lone Star since we were camping in Big Bend when she figured it out. Certainly not what I'd drink today but in that part of the world in 1984 choices were kind of limited.

RBassSFHOPit2ME likes this.
  6. DIM

DIM Grand Pooh-Bah (4,134) Sep 28, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Congrats to you both! I got the news less than a year ago and we are loving life with our four month old son. Weyerbacher's Decadance was my Dad's favorite so I cracked my last bottle in remembrance of him when I had some time to myself that night.

Enjoy every moment, the best time of your life is just beginning.

cosmonick and TongoRad like this.
  7. TongoRad

TongoRad Grand Pooh-Bah (3,848) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Congrats. man.

I'll never forget when I heard those words myself.

The funny part is that my wife was waiting for 'the perfect moment' to tell me while we were on a Vermont/NH trip; in fact, before we left she told me a white lie that we weren't successful the past month, but maybe the trip would bring us luck. As it turns out we stayed a few days in a condo with a hot tub. While she was in the tub I read the safety rules on the wall and commented something along the lines of "it's a good thing you aren't pregnant, because you shouldn't be in there if you were." Well, she just jumped the hell out of it as quick as she could, and I kind of knew the jig was up right then and there- so that's how I found out. Later that night I had a Catamount Porter to accompany all of those life-changing thoughts. It went pretty darn well.

RPH2327, Scalzo, TwoTrees and 4 others like this.
  8. tharper178

tharper178 Pundit (815) May 16, 2008 Florida

Congrats! Skip beer for the best champagne you can afford!

9. Ljudsignal

Ljudsignal Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2013 Massachusetts

Congratulations, sir! I've never had occasion to open such a bottle (I should hope not, at a few months shy of 22!), but I'll be dedicating my very last can of Heady tonight to you and your wife. Skål!

10. BedetheVenerable

BedetheVenerable Initiate (0) Sep 5, 2008 Missouri

This is absolutely killing me right now, because I just did this a couple of weeks ago and I can't for the life of me remember what I had. I do know that I'll be knocking my cellar down a whole bunch between now and March, as I won't have as many opportunities to knock out the 'big boys' (I age mostly English old ales/barleywines and Belgian strong ales) once I'm dealing with diapers and sleepless nights.

Whatever you're having tonight, cheers, best of luck, and blessings upon your new, or rather, soon-to-be, family.

TongoRad and cosmonick like this.
  11. fullmetal1381

fullmetal1381 Initiate (0) Jul 30, 2011 Florida

Grats, good sir! When my wife told me the good news almost two years ago, I had no beer (much less one worthwhile) to crack open, and that was part of the reason I started collecting and trading. When the little man was born, I celebrated with a CBS. The birth of your first born will only happen once; I say shoot for the moon when you are looking for things to celebrate with.

12. RBassSFHOPit2ME

RBassSFHOPit2ME Initiate (0) Mar 1, 2009 California
    Deactivated

Mums. Delicious!

ahermsen likes this.
  13. lordofthewiens

lordofthewiens Grand Pooh-Bah (5,891) Sep 17, 2005 New Mexico
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

My first born was conceived about 46 years ago, before there was such a thing as fetal alcohol syndrome.
    We celebrated at my fraternity with Budweiser on tap.
    My tastes have refined since then.

14. Kerrie

Kerrie Initiate (0) Aug 24, 2012 Michigan

I'm celebrating not being pregnant with any good beer I can get my hands on. Tonight, it was a Chimay Blue, shared with me by my bf who also does not want children. We're about to head out and have a few more brews. The place we're going to always has fresh Two Hearted :grinning:

15. ChickenSandwichCarl

ChickenSandwichCarl Initiate (0) Aug 29, 2012 Maine

Congrats! It's really fun!

I don't remember what I drank when she told me we were expecting, but I drank this when she was born.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/16320/94508

If she's going to grow up to be the worlds greatest brewer she could use an idol like Megan Parisi.

16. SlightlyGrey

SlightlyGrey Maven (1,394) Apr 4, 2011 Minnesota
    Trader

Congrats! For me it was a PBR - that was a long time ago. Now I have a beer with my son.

17. FATC1TY

FATC1TY Pooh-Bah (2,502) Feb 12, 2012 Georgia
    Pooh-Bah

I don't think I drank shit. I was scared to death.

However, I have a beer for whatever reason I'm attached to, that I'll open when my twin boys come in a few weeks.

Greenman Brewing's "Dweller" RIS.. It's from 2011 and was bottled once only.

I was going to open it, when I bought my first house, since it was my "Dwelling" finally.. Forgot about it, so... here's to the boys!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.