Heady Topper comparatives

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by mcBrewsAlot, Mar 5, 2013.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrDave

MrDave Initiate (0) Jan 23, 2013 California

Not side by side, but throughout the weekend I had Heady Topper, Enjoy By, and Cafe Racer 15. This was the third time I've had HT, and while still very good it just didn't seem to be on the same shelf as the other two IIPAs. I'd take a Racer 15, Enjoy By, or fresh Pliny over HT any day.

2. M-Fox24

M-Fox24 Grand Pooh-Bah (3,617) Mar 17, 2013 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I figured more people would suggest Resin. Anyways, I'll throw in Founders Double Trouble. Nonetheless, there are a lot of great IPA's out there but as far as a Heady comparison that's tuff

Hoptimus-Prime likes this.
  3. SeanBond

SeanBond Pooh-Bah (2,880) Jul 30, 2013 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Is Resin that comparable? As someone who lives in Chicago and has Resin here aplenty (one of my favorite DIPAs), it'd be nice to know that I've got a decent stand-in.

(and before anyone responds, I do understand that there isn't anything that tastes exactly the same)

4. Massbmx

Massbmx Pundit (884) Apr 5, 2011 Vermont

Like others have mentioned nothing is really comparable to Heady (that I've tried at least), some of the answers in here I can see (Double Sunshine, some HF beers), but something like Resin is so far off I don't understand. Someone mentioned the hops in Heady just lasting forever on the taste buds and its true, one of my favorite parts of drinking a can is tasting it for the next hour whenever I burp.

5. BeerGreg

BeerGreg Initiate (0) May 17, 2013 Illinois

Well, now I have to go out over lunch and pick up some Resin to try tonight. I've never had it. I have some HT in my fridge still, so maybe I can do a blind tasting.

6. BleepBloopBlap

BleepBloopBlap Initiate (0) Aug 19, 2011 Massachusetts

Fresh Sculpin for me.

njramsfan likes this.
  7. jdense

jdense Pooh-Bah (1,782) Sep 5, 2007 Oregon
    Pooh-Bah Society

Tankslapper. I think I will go to Baker City and have one this afternoon at Barley Brown's.

8. MugOfGoodness

MugOfGoodness Initiate (0) Dec 12, 2006 New Hampshire

I drink Heady Topper alot. Maybe too much. But its one of my all-time favorite beers.

And asking a bunch of beer heads about comparable beers is like asking a really good fisherman - "hey man - where is your best fishing spot" - but here goes.

Sebago's Hop Swap (it was a seasonal) drank alot like Heady Topper.

Brew Kettle's White Rajah (year-round) drank alot like Heady Topper.

I am sure there are others - I will keep trying them until I find them all.

I have a neighbor who thinks Golden Road's Heal the Bay is very comparable.

9. flayedandskinned

flayedandskinned Initiate (0) Jan 1, 2011 California

Don't agree at all. Its a tad maltier in back end, but Pliny's hop profile is a lot more punchy and snappy off of said malt profile.

10. BearsOnAcid

BearsOnAcid Pooh-Bah (2,215) Mar 17, 2009 Massachusetts
    Pooh-Bah Society

HT's unique flavor is very dependant on the house yeast. I haven't found anything similar except for home brews that use it.

11. cutsw

cutsw Initiate (0) Jun 24, 2013 Florida
    Trader

Bot has to be only a week or less old.

12. joeebbs

joeebbs Initiate (0) Apr 29, 2009 Pennsylvania

Double Sunshine

13. ChesterHop

ChesterHop Initiate (0) Sep 14, 2010 Connecticut

There are no Heady comparatives. It is truly in a league of its own. With that said, there are plenty of other great IIPA's that I've tried. Gandhi-Bot and Double Trouble are the first to come to mind...

Jason likes this.
  14. TravisR

TravisR Zealot (555) Dec 31, 2012 New Jersey

I may be way off here, but the only beer I've had that I thought was remotely similar to Heady in nose, taste, and mouthfeel was Apocalypse Cow. Both are stellar.

15. opwog

opwog Initiate (0) Jun 16, 2008 Minnesota

16. TheLostGringo

TheLostGringo Initiate (0) Dec 7, 2011 Connecticut

Cafe Racer 15 - California
    Enjoy by - California
    Pliny - California

MRDave - California

I smell a common thread :wink:

Roguer likes this.
  17. cavedave

cavedave Grand Pooh-Bah (4,145) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I don't know if you have tried to brew with it, it is a problem child to use. I'm on batch 5 with it now and I think I may have it licked. Really makes you appreciate Mr. Kimmich at The Alchemist.

18. JayORear

JayORear Grand Pooh-Bah (3,034) Feb 22, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Actually, I'm pretty sure Heady's the only beer that I could reliably pick out in a blind tasting. So unique.

19. jivex5k

jivex5k Initiate (0) Apr 13, 2011 Florida

My favorite IPA of all time is Jai Alai....of course it helps when you get it 4 days old.

20. MrDave

MrDave Initiate (0) Jan 23, 2013 California

I know, it wreaks of homerism. Oh well, I like what I like. Cheers!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.