Would you charge your buddies for a six year 120 vertical tasting?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by jbone78, Aug 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jivex5k

jivex5k Initiate (0) Apr 13, 2011 Florida

Yeah this too.
    I feel like I have to bring something, so I do. When my buddy held a stout tasting I got lucky and found BA rasputin sitting on the shelf at TW...of course a non-ba rasputin would have been fine too.
    Or, when we are so stocked with beer we have no need, I'll offer to make my world famous mac and cheese. (It's really good)

2. kzoobrew

kzoobrew Initiate (0) May 8, 2006 Michigan

Social etiquette. I think it would only be proper to offer to chip in, be it beer, food or money if you were so inclined. On the same note, I believe it is in bad taste to ask for money to participate. If I were hosting and invited you to share my beer, the invitation should come with no expectation of reimbursement. As friends, there should be an understanding and everything should even out in the end. I really see no need to ask for money.

Providence and Rathakem like this.
  3. mverity

mverity Initiate (0) Oct 6, 2012 Florida

I don't know about most of y'all, but I have charged my friends for every single tasting I have EVER put together. I got into craft beer a few years before them and trade fairly regularly for beer. I take the price of the beers I'll be serving and divide it up by the number of people who show up for the tasting. I'm not going to flit the bill for every tasting I put together. I have 2008-2013 DFH 120s and was planning on cracking them sometime soon with friends. Like several people have said, if they're over just for a card game or party, I'd never, ever, charge for what they drink; however, when I go out of my way to track beer down for side-by-sides, verticals, or other tasting, gotta fork over the cash!

4. Pahn

Pahn Initiate (0) Dec 2, 2009 New York

5. kzoobrew

Okay, we are on the same page. I can agree with your statement. I will expand upon that and say that a party of that nature comes with an understanding that falls outside of what would be considered a tasting or bottle share.

If you are having a "rent party" or something similar, ask away.

6. Shmuffalo

Shmuffalo Zealot (707) Feb 26, 2012 Pennsylvania

7. jbone78

jbone78 Initiate (0) Feb 7, 2009 Florida

Bring it. And for all who think I'm charging my friends, reread.

8. rozzom

rozzom Pooh-Bah (2,534) Jan 22, 2011 New York
    Pooh-Bah Trader

To share in the pain of a six year vertical of 120, I reckon you should look to pay your friends somewhere in the region of $5 per person per ounce.

Edit: sorry - misread the question

elephantrider likes this.
  9. beernut

beernut Initiate (0) Jun 6, 2008 New Jersey

Never charge your friends. Only ask for them to each bring an appetizer.

10. Ivegotmule

Ivegotmule Initiate (0) Nov 7, 2012 North Carolina

My drinking buddies are on the I'll get ya next time system. BUT if the price was really high I might. Like Utopias high.

11. sblanton83

sblanton83 Initiate (0) May 29, 2013 Michigan

If I "needed" the money, I wouldn't be buying 12$ bottles of beer in the first place.

Otherwise...

I wouldn't charge them. I want them to enjoy the same beers I'm lucky enough to be able to try. Its just like sending extras to a trading partner.

12. FatBoyGotSwagger

FatBoyGotSwagger Grand Pooh-Bah (3,728) Apr 4, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

Letting beer age does not make it more valuable. And friends always drink for free.

13. groovy24

groovy24 Zealot (502) Jul 13, 2007 Wisconsin

Unless you have agreed to this vertical prior to purchase asking for a monetary contribution is unacceptable. I have a 07-12 stone vertical epic that I plan on cracking open soon and will not ask for anything in return.

If I were invited and was asked to pay I would respectfully deny the offer.

14. JISurfer

JISurfer Pooh-Bah (2,982) Dec 10, 2002 Utah
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I always bring back beer for my friend when I travel, and I travel a good bit. For example, when I went to Anaheim for business, I brought him back a bottle of Knee Deep Simtra and a bottle of some other local SoCal beer. I never charge him for it and I don't expect to get anything in return. I just like to share the wealth when I can.

15. udubdawg

udubdawg Initiate (0) Dec 11, 2006 Kansas

2-3 times a year we have BYOB events. sometimes something you like + something you don't like + something you haven't tried.
    and about once a year I have a big tasting, and my friends pitch in about $20. It defrays anywhere from a third to a half of a cost of the beer, and I provide food.
    *shrug* to each their own.

16. mfrigon

mfrigon Initiate (0) Mar 21, 2011 New Hampshire

I agree with not charging when you have friends over and you crack open something from the cellar. I also think you don't in this situation. A food or more beer suggestion without any expectation is ok in my book. However if I help put together a tasting where, lets say, I drive to mass to pick up a load of beers so we can have a better selection then I charge. Mostly because I have a few of those friends that never seem to even offer to go out of their way for a tasting, you know the ones. 90% will pitch in some way but that other 10% don't or bring some shitty additions even though they claim to love craft beer. Dont bring applehead to a tasting ever. Some how they keep getting invited. Sorry for the rant.

17. t420o

t420o Initiate (0) Jul 16, 2009 Colorado

I wouldn't charge them anything, but it would be nice if they returned the favor by bringing food, beer, or something else of use. I mean, I would definitely bring a couple nice bottles over to add to the tasting as a "thank you" of sorts.

18. inchrisin

inchrisin Pooh-Bah (2,013) Sep 25, 2008 Indiana
    Pooh-Bah

Do you expect your friends to shell out money for a concert or an event that sets only you back $60+ FUUUCK yes!

19. alysmith4

alysmith4 Initiate (0) Feb 11, 2005 District of Columbia

Why have them over, if you feel they owe you money for doing so? Just have the vert yourself (and subsequently put your name on a liver transplant list).

jrnyc likes this.
  20. kzoobrew

Huge difference between asking a friend if they want to go to an event with you, not inviting them as a guest, and inviting someone as a guest to share some beers with you.

inchrisin and rudzud like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.