Cantillon Zwanze Day - Toronto, Mtl, Vancouver

Discussion in 'Canada' started by atomeyes, Jul 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kjyost

kjyost Initiate (0) May 4, 2008 Canada (MB)

Holy hell, that's usurious. I have been to Volo once and didn't have a good experience. This just helps me cement my opinion...

2. liamt07

liamt07 Initiate (0) Jul 26, 2009 Canada (ON)

Didn't mean to indicate that that would be what they are charging, however I do expect them to squeeze every penny out of any patron who has intentions of attending this event.

3. atomeyes

atomeyes Initiate (0) Jul 13, 2011 Canada (ON)

LOL jump to opinions much?? unless your experience was that awful, i'd give them a second chance. or don't. leaves more great beer and beer events for the rest of us.

not sure where you get that from. of course, they are running a Yonge St bar with Yonge St/Toronto rent and they have the right to make money. and they've been to Belgium a # of times to build a relationship with Cantillon so that Cantillon would forgive and forget the LCBO's errors in days long gone. so consider spending money for Zwanze Day to be a thank you for the opportunity to drink Cantillon in Toronto. yes, at $45-50/bottle...which cost $150/sku to lab test and a ridiculous amount of $$ per palate to ship overseas.

from what i've heard, Zwanze Day details will be released after the Bellwoods tap takeover. between the Bellwoods event and Cask Days tickets, the Moranas have likely been a wee bit busy. i'd cut them some slack.

hoser likes this.
  4. liamt07

From being at every notable Volo run/hosted event in the past ~4 years. I'm not saying I won't pay what they're going to ask us to pay, I'm just saying I highly anticipate paying a good chunk of change to take part.

5. bylerteck

bylerteck Grand Pooh-Bah (3,143) May 17, 2009 Canada (ON)
    Pooh-Bah Society

Details on Montreal seem a bit slim. I'm assuming no tickets, raffles, other BS? Is it best to just show up early?

6. atomeyes

how much were tickets to that shitty beer event that was 3 weeks ago? more than a Volo event, methinks.

i understand pushback on the Bellwoods event at Volo. not sure if the original release was a typo or not, but man, that really crossed the line dollar-wise.

people are going to line up for Zwanze Day. i am sure Volo will put other things on tap to make it an amazing event. supply and demand. make $$ when the hay's rolling, right?

7. kjyost

I was with three people who all said thu wouldnt go back, it was bad. I get into Toronto every 4 or 5 years for a couple of days. I don't plan on spending time were I feel like I'm being abused for my cash. And yes, as presented, a $50 charge for admission and a 4 oz pour is ridiculous.

8. liamt07

Not sure what beer event you're referencing.

Bellwoods event is going to be hella pricey - entry + $5-7.50 for a half (!!!) pint ($10 pints on the cheap end??) - thank god I backed out on that one.

People will line up, without a doubt. I just hope we won't be gouged.

I was kidding about the cost and pricing. Exaggerating, but probably something similarly ridiculous.

kjyost likes this.
  9. atomeyes

you're 100% making stuff up. where are you getting this info from??

10. Luk13

Luk13 Initiate (0) May 25, 2009 Canada (QC)

FWIW, Zwanze 2011 + DDC anniversary: you had to get in line at 14h30-15h to secure a sample and the bar opened at 15h (not everybody were getting Zwanze, lots of people were going for the anniversary).

Zwanze 2012 (no anniversary because delayed in november): Opened ad 13h and you were fine getting there at 15h+

There will be an anniversary event also this year, so it should be similar to 2011. But it is a 30L keg instead of 20L for the last two years, so there should be enough for everyone.

11. Lurkaholic

Lurkaholic Initiate (0) Jun 14, 2013 Canada (BC)

Fairly sure Vancouver's getting a 20L keg, I'd imagine you guys will too. Good luck!

12. Luk13

Well, it really looks like it will be a 30L keg. I hope you guys can get a bigger keg too.

As per DDC's Facebook page :

"On September 14th, our Montreal brewpub will celebrate it's 15th anniversary. And it's also when the Cantillon Zwanze Day is happening this year.

The celebrations will begin at 3:00 PM with around 28 beers on draft, including some guest beers. The 2013 Zwanze will also be served starting at 3:00 (this year, we have a 30 liter keg!)

Welcome all! "

13. kjyost

That's right, I make up how often I go to Toronto and what my experiences have been like. The info I got was from when I read liamt07's post (on page 1) and assumed it was factual. He has since clarified that he was joking.

14. bylerteck

bylerteck Grand Pooh-Bah (3,143) May 17, 2009 Canada (ON)
    Pooh-Bah Society

So it seems like it doesn't get too crazy then. Would it be safe to show up when they open or is there a line?

15. atomeyes

hahaaaa!

show up 1-3 hrs before opening if you want a beer. there was a big line last year.

16. Luk13

I wouldn't show up when they open as it seems risky, events like this tends to be more popular every year.

There was no line last year when it opened at 13pm (about 30 people by 14h) but there was a line outside at 15pm, I don't think nobody who arrived close to 15pm got shut out (or very few) last year, but there will be more people this year (like 2011), so showing up a little early would be a wise move.

17. KeKeKumba

KeKeKumba Initiate (0) May 5, 2011 Canada (ON)

18. liamt07

Volo taplist for anyone who is curious. Looks great Volo, and good job keeping the price of admission down. Lets Hope the pours are affordable!
    • Cantillon Zwanze 2013 (Abbaye de Cureghem)
    • Cantillon Gueuze (100% Lambic Gueuze)
    • House Ales Wild Style (English Mild w/ Brett)
    • House Ales Belgian Porter (Belgian Porter w/ Brett)
    • House Ales Shikki Mikki (Sour Berliner Weiss)
    • House Ales Goldenrod (English Golden Aged In Spirit Tree barrel w/ Brett)
    • House Ales 25th Anniversary Ale (Barleywine Aged In 4 Roses Barrel)
    • Le Trou Du Diable Oude Blanche (Sour Wheat)
    • Dieu Du Ciel! Derniere Volonte (Belgian IPA Pinot Noire Barrel Aged)
    • Dieu Du Ciel! Solstice D'Ete (Sour Raspberry Wheat)
    • Les Trois Mousquetaires Gose (German Sour Wheat)
    • Hopfenstark Epilogue (Berliner Weisse With Raspberry)
    • Hopfenstark Saison Station 16 (Aged)
    • Dunham KeKriek (Sour Cherry Ale)
    • Dunham Raspberry Saison (Aged In Zinfandel Barrels)
    • Beau's Greener Futures Strong Patrick Sour
    • Bellwoods X Evil Twin No Sleep Till Brooklyn (Sour Stout)
    • Amsterdam Order and Chaos - (Wit aged in a freshly emptied Biodynamic Chardonnay barrel)
    • Amsterdam DeWallen - (Raspberry Sour Aged In Pinot Noir Barrels)
    • Amsterdam Domestic Disturbance - (100% Brett Brux Golden Ale Aged On Wine Skins. Collaboration with Erica Graholm)
    • Sawdust City Dawson's Kreik (Alt Aged In Sour Wine Barrels On Tart Cherries)
    • Sawdust City The Princess & Girlpants Meet the ODB (Belgian Golden Aged in Chardonnay & Gamay barrels)
    • Great Lakes Fangboner (Brett IPA)
    • Great Lakes Deliverance On Brett (American Farmhouse)
    • Great Lakes Cryptic Cherry (Barrel Aged Double With Cherries)
    • Nickelbrook New World ( Belgian Pale Ale Brux Aged In Pinot Grigio Barrels)
    • Nickelbrook New World: Roselare
    • Nickelbrook Le Payson: Lambicus Saison
    • Indie Ale House Roll In The Hay (Belgian Ale Chardonnay Barrel Aged With Brett.)
    • Indie ale House Spadina Monkey (Barrel Aged Sour Ale)
    • Indie Ale House Sour Abbey (Pumpin Ale Aged 12 Months In Champagne Barrel With Brett.)
    • West Avenue Cider 'Cherry Beach'. Pinot barrel aged Montmorency cherry & Lacto cider.
    • Black Oak Selfish Lover (Imperial Saison With Brett)

19. JonnyBeers

JonnyBeers Savant (1,187) Oct 24, 2012 Canada (BC)

So $15 for a 5 oz. pour in TO, or FREE in Vancouver for 10oz+

20. atomeyes

well...no.
    first, Vancouver people had to go to another event in order to have a 25% chance in winning a ticket. so they spent money on 2 events versus paying admission for one event.
    second, torontonians get a pretty sweet glass with it. beer glasses are usually $5-10.
    third: the 10 ounce Vancouver pour is idiocy. 120 tickets to get into a toronto event that sold out in minutes, but still gives lots of people access, versus the Vancouver event being an elitist event where fewer people get to drink more.

i think the the Vancouver event was done in poor taste and those who have been to Funk Night in the past know that the Toronto event is going to be killer. 2 killer events in 1 night with 1 price of admission and a glass? hit it up. can't wait to see which idiots sell their glass on ebay for a stupid amount of money.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.