Mikkeller Beer Geek Breakfast Weasel

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by deadonhisfeet, Apr 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deadonhisfeet

deadonhisfeet Pooh-Bah (2,419) Apr 23, 2011 Kentucky
    Pooh-Bah

I read somewhere that Mikkeller's Beer Geek Breakfast Weasel (an oatmeal/coffee stout) is actually brewed with civet coffee. Is this true? Can anyone confirm this?

By the way, if you don't know what civet coffee is, look it up. You wouldn't believe me if I told you.

2. cmmcdonn

cmmcdonn Initiate (0) Jun 21, 2009 Virginia

It's Beer Geek Brunch Weasel, and yes, it's brewed with civet coffee. It's got the description on the bottle.

edit: The description

This imperial Oatmeal stout is brewed with one of the world’s most expensive coffees, made from droppings of weasel-like civet cats. The fussy Southeast Asian animals only eat the best and ripest coffee berries. Enzymes in their digestive system help to break down the bean. Workers collect the bean-containing droppings for Civet or Weasel Coffee. The exceedingly rare Civet Coffee has a strong taste and an even stronger aroma.

3. deadonhisfeet

deadonhisfeet Pooh-Bah (2,419) Apr 23, 2011 Kentucky
    Pooh-Bah

That's so cool! It must cost a fortune to make that stuff. Civet coffee is hellishly expensive (hundreds of dollars per pound).

4. FishPondManager

FishPondManager Initiate (0) Feb 28, 2012 Colorado

Never had civet coffee, but I bet it tastes like shit! I keed, I keed.

5. Wowcoolman

Wowcoolman Pooh-Bah (1,636) Sep 25, 2010 California
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

It's worth the extra few $$ for the civer crap.

6. klaybie

klaybie Initiate (0) Nov 15, 2009 Illinois

I knew what it was going into it and I still enjoyed it! Awesome idea from Mikkeller yet again and not too bad of a price.

7. trenchtown4

trenchtown4 Initiate (0) Apr 13, 2010 Massachusetts
    Trader

Alesmith has done a similar stout, Speedway Kopi Luwak, not sure if it's confirmed civet coffee, but Kopi Luwak is a synonym for it.

deadonhisfeet likes this.
  8. tyrsis

tyrsis Savant (1,050) Mar 13, 2009 California
    Trader

De Molen as well. I've had the Mikkeler and Alesmith versions, they're both good.

deadonhisfeet likes this.
  9. cmmcdonn

cmmcdonn Initiate (0) Jun 21, 2009 Virginia

With the prices for any Mikkeller beer as they are, I'd assume they all had civet coffee in them.

JohnB87, Hanzo, jtmartino and 3 others like this.
  10. H0rnedFr0gs

H0rnedFr0gs Initiate (0) Mar 12, 2012 Texas

This will also be the case with Jester King's collaboration with Mikkeller, starting with the second batch of their Geek Rodeo (or whatever it's final name is)

http://jesterkingbrewery.com/blog/?pg=4

11. Bendurgin

Bendurgin Initiate (0) Feb 5, 2010 Maine

I'm pretty sure the beer is roughly fifteen bucks a bottle.

BarryMFBurton likes this.
  12. bigfnjoe

bigfnjoe Initiate (0) Oct 22, 2009 Pennsylvania

Mikkeller's IPAs consistently disappoint me, but his stouts are incredible. This one takes the cake IMO.

callmeishmALE likes this.
  13. cpinto6

cpinto6 Initiate (0) Feb 25, 2010 Georgia

you just don't need a lot of it, that's why the bottles aren't too expensive.

14. NoLeafClover44

NoLeafClover44 Initiate (0) Feb 24, 2011 Delaware

Yeah, it's only $2/oz!!

15. cpinto6

cpinto6 Initiate (0) Feb 25, 2010 Georgia

That's why I said not too expensive...the bourbon barrel version wasn't that expensive either since it was in the same size bottle but I drew the line at the little shit they put the cognac version in. Who does mikkeler think he is? Only narke will have me buying bottles at that size...

16. DirtyPenny

DirtyPenny Pundit (879) Jun 25, 2011 Massachusetts

So how long until we have a beer that was brewed with previously shat organically processed barley?

17. TapeDeck

TapeDeck Initiate (0) Mar 31, 2011 Illinois

Kopi Luwak is WEIRD. It tastes like normal coffee, but has next to no aftertaste. I've brewed it, and I've also brewed beer with it. :slight_smile:

18. Heatwave33

Heatwave33 Initiate (0) Sep 13, 2011 Florida

GREAT BREW! CIVET POO PWNS!

19. DevilsCups

DevilsCups Initiate (0) Mar 3, 2010 New York
    Trader

All but their Tiger Baby IPA were off to me. Tiger Baby was an incredible IPA, and I agree his stouts are fantastic. Brunch Weasel is one of the best I've ever had.

20. lucas1801

lucas1801 Initiate (0) Apr 5, 2012 Massachusetts

Good to hear I am not the only one that felt that way about Weasel, I did enjoy it but it was not near the level of the KBS I was drinking a lot of at the time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.