Foul tasting Smutty Finestkind

Discussion in 'New England' started by Dools9, Sep 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dools9

Dools9 Initiate (0) Jul 5, 2011 Massachusetts

A friend of mine bought a six pack of the same batch earlier this week, and also got some similar tasting bottles. Must be a bad batch going around. Either way, I've always found this beer to be very inconsistent but never this bad.

2. nicholasofcusa

nicholasofcusa Initiate (0) Jan 14, 2006 Florida

This. I remember my last experience with Smutty IPA well...Bought a sixer on 6/22, bottle stamped best before 8/22. Not super fresh obviously, but with 2 months before the best by date, should still be pretty decent. Nope. There was absolutely no hop presence, except for some bitterness in the finsh. If I hadn't know what I was drinking I would have guessed Imperial Pale Lager. I contemplated sending an email to the brewery but never did. The previous two sixers I bought last winter also tasted bad. Probably won't be buying this anymore, which is a shame because I used to fucking love this beer and was almost always in my fridge.

3. dennho

dennho Initiate (0) Oct 29, 2006 New York

Finestkind is one of my go to beers. It's great and incredibly underrated. I once bought a two year old four pack of Big A Ipa. My fault, I didn't check the date code. I emailed the brewery saying they should try to do something about old beers. They apologized and sent me a nice shirt.
    I've never had a problem with them otherwise and I drink more than my share. Breweries want to know if there is a problem with their product. Let them know.

4. hudsonvalleyslim

hudsonvalleyslim Savant (1,070) May 29, 2003 Massachusetts

I love Smutty. Hope this isn't anything more than a bad bottle or two. They did change the label....

5. drtth

drtth Initiate (0) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania
    In Memoriam

What did you have for lunch?

6. drtth

drtth Initiate (0) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania
    In Memoriam

Take a deep breath. Relax. That sensation of disbelief will slowly disappear, but keep breathing slowly and deeply. In... out... In... out....

7. DLF

DLF Initiate (0) Apr 2, 2011 Oregon

You can buy individual bottles and a handful of six packs pretty easily here in Philadelphia now, but they're all outrageously overpriced. Literally 50%-100%+ more than in NJ, where I'm originally from. It's really pretty shocking. When you buy single bottles, you pay very close to what the beer would cost in a bar, and sometimes even more (especially if you hit up a decent bar during Happy Hour - half-off HH drafts are thankfully rather popular here). For example - Founders Porter and Bells Two Hearted are both around $3.75/bottle. Was shopping around yesterday and a bottle of Dogfish Head Punkin is over $4 and bomber of Southern Tier Pumking is between $13.50 and $15.50 at the three bottle shops in my area. Those prices are indicative of how overpriced everything is. I can't wait to move.

8. EnronCFO

EnronCFO Pooh-Bah (1,969) Mar 29, 2007 Massachusetts
    Pooh-Bah Society

I lived in NH for 5 years and drank a 12-pack of Smutty IPA almost every week as it was cheap and always fresh. Never had a problem with them. I moved to Mass. 1 year ago and the 6-packs I've purchased down here have not been as consistent. This also coincides with the final build out of the new Smuttynose brewery and I've wondered if there have been some QC issues as they have expanded to the max for their current space and are spending a lot of time and money on the new place. No proof that this is true, but as someone that drank the beer religiously I hate to see it not live up to expectations.

9. Thads324

Thads324 Initiate (0) Jan 21, 2010 Connecticut

I bought some about a month ago and it tasted great. It was a six pack, no problems.
    Really hope this is an isolated incident because I love this beer and agree it is underrated.

smutty33 likes this.
  10. cjoc83

cjoc83 Initiate (0) Jul 31, 2010 Pennsylvania

The Wegmans by my house in SE PA recently started carrying Smutty sixers, and when I saw Finest Kind I immediately grabbed a 6 pack, given the high marks and overall praise it gets on here. While I didn't have an experience like the OP where it tasted "awful", it just tasted like a regular old IPA to me, certainly nothing to write home about. Pretty average IMO.

11. BethanyB

BethanyB Initiate (0) Jun 20, 2013 New York

Funny. I bought a single bottle just yesterday and it smelled reeeeeally skunky. The taste was fine, but the hop flavor was lacking. Compared to what others have said about the beer, I could only assume I had a bad bottle.

12. StlHopHead77

StlHopHead77 Initiate (0) May 30, 2010 Illinois

Bought two at Global Brew in Illinois about 3 months ago.Actually made our server show me the empty bottles.Not being an ass,just because I knew it wasn't supposed to taste like that and thought maybe she had poured us something else by mistake.A distributor friend of mine who sells Smutty was in town and agreed that it was off.It was my first Finest Kind so I can't speak on consistency but these two bottles were definitely sub par.My friend contacted their rep,I believe.

13. blt2646

blt2646 Zealot (559) Mar 20, 2006 New Hampshire

Being in NH, I drink quite a lot of Finest Kind, especially when I can get it fresh at $10.99 or even 9.99 a 12 pack when on sale. I have too noticed inconsistencies where some batches are downright great and others are good to decent at best. I am drinking one bottled 8/14 and it is tasting pretty good to me.

14. jburd19

jburd19 Initiate (0) May 14, 2013 Ohio

Just bought my first sixer. Dated 12/4/13 on bottle all smell and taste like dirty dish water. One of worst beers I've had

15. Todd

Todd Founder (13,254) Aug 23, 1996 Finland
    Staff Super Mod Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.