Cantillon Zwanze Day - Toronto, Mtl, Vancouver

Discussion in 'Canada' started by atomeyes, Jul 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Luk13

Luk13 Initiate (0) May 25, 2009 Canada (QC)

That's too bad. Zwanze was good but not even close to Iris though ...
    There was way more people this year. I saw there was still a big line still at 16h which is kind of nuts.
    Can I ask what time you got in line?

2. papat444

papat444 Initiate (0) Dec 28, 2006 Canada (QC)

I got there around 2:30, was at the corner of Laurier & St-Laurent. Got in around 6-ish? (i`d have to check my cell, took a few pics). Iris was awesome, Morality on cask was wicked, the Root Beer was interesting. Free sample of peche & Disco Soleil will waiting was cool!

3. ricochet173

ricochet173 Initiate (0) Jul 6, 2011 Canada (QC)
    Trader

I got there at about 12:50 and snagged the first table on the terrasse, nearest the door, where we stayed until 7ish. The system at DDC was pretty horrible... when you want a second round you have to head to the back of the line? Yeah, no thanks. The rootbeer was quite nice, enjoyed the New Belgium collab with Feijoa fruit... it was a pretty nice selection overall.

4. Luk13

Wow, 6h .... Once the bar is full, they basically let people in make multiple orders and the others have to wait outside for people to leave.

Morality was my favourite non Cantillon with 15 Nord, it was highly aromatic (dry hopped simcoe). Nice red wine barrel treatment on 15 Nord.

5. bylerteck

bylerteck Grand Pooh-Bah (3,143) May 17, 2009 Canada (ON)
    Pooh-Bah Society

Totally agree. Getting to the bar was a nightmare. I was too stressed out by 6:30 to stick around any longer.

6. Luk13

The pub si so small though, there is not much else they can do that I think of.

7. papat444

I snagged 3 drinks on the first run, found a spot inside near restrooms. There was a small line on that side, waited about 20 minutes for another round, not too bad. There was a way out in the back leading to a place where they were doing mechoui outside on Clark. Wanted to grab some but arrived in between 2 batches. Could easily go back inside from there though...

8. papat444

Damn, meant to try this but forgot about it. Some much choice!

9. atomeyes

atomeyes Initiate (0) Jul 13, 2011 Canada (ON)

eh. it was pricey, but i'm also taking the cost of shipping, etc into consideration.
    the positives about Volo? it wasn't insanely packed. you could freely move around. so i'm putting $10 of the admission price towards that.
    $5-10 towards the glass that, if you want, you can easily sell on this website. people want it.

in the end, the Zwanze was very disappointing. didn't like the bitterness. not sure what style they thought it was. it was just...lacking. i drank it anyways, but for those that missed it, i'd probably give the beer a 6/10. the nose was the most redeeming part.

10. peensteen

peensteen Pooh-Bah (1,891) Apr 3, 2010 Canada (ON)
    Pooh-Bah

I think Volo did a great job with this one, plenty of room to move around never waited more than a minute for a drink and the bottle list was amazing and far better than the tap list (which was still pretty good) hope they do this again next year.

liamt07 likes this.
  11. liamt07

liamt07 Initiate (0) Jul 26, 2009 Canada (ON)

Yeah, Zwanze itself was disappointing but the bottle list was fantastic - and 1 token for a generous pour of anything other than the 'loons was sensational. Guess the pricing was on the high end but there's partial justification for that.

12. tbadiuk

tbadiuk Pundit (790) Feb 9, 2009 Canada (MB)
    Trader

I'm a bit puzzled why Vancouver didn't go with 8oz pours so 2x the people could attend...

Lurkaholic and Rutager like this.
  13. kjyost

kjyost Initiate (0) May 4, 2008 Canada (MB)

BECAUSE IT WAS FREE!!!!!!!!

Rutager and tbadiuk like this.
  14. Lurkaholic

Lurkaholic Initiate (0) Jun 14, 2013 Canada (BC)

I might have the glass size wrong, actually. It was served in the glasses second from the left in this photo (picture unrelated) which might be 14.5 oz pours as opposed to 16oz... either way, your point remains.

[​IMG]

On an unrelated note but also interesting - two of the people at my table had never tried any Cantillon before! Quite the diving in at the deep end.

15. atomeyes

atomeyes Initiate (0) Jul 13, 2011 Canada (ON)

yeah, let's tackle the Zwanze, shall we?

was supposed to be a tripel, yes?

thin body.
    astringent/bitter finish that lingered unpleasantly
    ok funk, but nothing special.

tasted like a bitter light beer flavoured with essence of Cantillon. and C's my favourite brewery in the world. but they crapped the bed with this one.

the bottle pours were so very good. many of the tap pours were so very ungood. i found almost all of them disappointing and, out of respect to a local brewer, i won't mention which one i asked the bartender to drainpour....which is strange, since i saw on another board that some people loved that beer. tasted like unfermented wort. gross.

16. oldp0rt

oldp0rt Initiate (0) Feb 24, 2011 Canada (QC)

I got at ddc at 11. Grabbed my glass pf zwanze with another beer and was out of there by 4. Way over crowded.

17. noeldundas

noeldundas Initiate (0) Dec 23, 2008 Canada (BC)

Ask anyone who went to the event if it was in "poor taste" it was a free event that we all could have made a money off of, but chose not too. It's not elitist. It's the opposite. If you can't understand that the spirit of giving away a bunch of free beer above and beyond the Zwanze is in line with what Zwanze day is all about then I'm not sure I can get through to you on this. (It wasn't 10oz either, it was 20oz).

18. noeldundas

We actually gave everyone 20oz so that people could actually enjoy the beer and have more than a "sampler".

JonnyBeers likes this.
  19. noeldundas

And Nigel from the Alibi fed everyone for free too.

JonnyBeers likes this.
  20. Lurkaholic

Lurkaholic Initiate (0) Jun 14, 2013 Canada (BC)

Have to correct you, they were not 20oz pours - they were 14.5oz.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.