Three Floyds Goes to Europe

Discussion in 'Beer News' started by radium, Apr 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. radium

radium Initiate (0) Feb 17, 2010 California

Check the full article here: http://www.chicagotribune.com/featu...en-a-chicago-brewpub-20120425,0,7354010.story

First, why would he expand to Europe? Yes, going across the pond could mean more collaborations, more exposure to the European craft market (if it exists), and potentially more revenue. On the flip side, by distributing your beers WEST to the other half of the country, I could imagine your revenue would be much higher. Why? We don't get Three Floyds on the west coast, and if we do, it's old or through a trade. It seems to make more sense to distribute to the west coast first, then go to Europe. I get that he's english, but why not distribute to California/Oregon/Washington first?

Really? Have you checked out Deschutes, Cascade, or Hair of the Dog lately? They've been putting out great beers - Cascade's Tap-It-Tuesday barrels or ANY of their sours, the Abyss, Adam, Doggie Claws (and/or barrel aged versions). Maybe I'm missing something...

2. JRod1969

JRod1969 Maven (1,266) Nov 23, 2010 New York
    Trader

How about east to NY? Baby steps.

marshmeli, jzeilinger, DanE and 10 others like this.
  3. Orca

Orca Grand Pooh-Bah (4,441) Sep 18, 2010 Washington
    Pooh-Bah Society

Maybe he's afraid of the competition.

4. SammyJaxxxx

SammyJaxxxx Initiate (0) Feb 23, 2012 New Jersey

I thi
    I think it would make sense to start in New Jersey before going into New York.

5. cpinto6

cpinto6 Initiate (0) Feb 25, 2010 Georgia

:grimacing: Maybe Struise and Mikkeller convinced him...it really doesn't make sense, its like CCB that ships to europe sometimes. They're not even on any of the coasts, I'm sure if they went to NYC and Boston they'd sell a lot quicker and make more than shipping to Europe. I'm still scratching my head trying to understand the reasoning behind this. I get that he likes to travel but his beers are doing the extensive traveling, not him although I guess he would go there to promote or something like that like Koch did.

6. stxSS07

stxSS07 Initiate (0) Nov 23, 2010 Illinois

I'd check out their company slogan for more info.

7. cpinto6

cpinto6 Initiate (0) Feb 25, 2010 Georgia

Breweries distros make no sense...CCB went to NYC before it expanded to GA, which is right freaking next to them. I don't get why they'd send the beer further when it will all get gobbled up just as much in the state right above them:confused:

chardlogic and schwaeh like this.
  8. Hanzo

Hanzo Initiate (0) Feb 27, 2012 Virginia

Doesn't Three Floyds have super super small distro in the US? You have such a high demand here (I'd kill to be able to pick up ZD off the shelf here), why would you skip everything else here for abroad?

DanE likes this.
  9. stupac2

stupac2 Pooh-Bah (2,031) Feb 22, 2011 California
    Pooh-Bah Society

That he's an ignorant asshole? That's the only way you could say that.

FarmerTed likes this.
  10. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Grand Pooh-Bah (4,092) Jun 18, 2002 Arizona
    Pooh-Bah Society

11. stxSS07

I'd love to be able to pick up ZD off the shelf 40mi away from the brewpub!

BarryMFBurton likes this.
  12. Mandark

Mandark Zealot (575) Apr 8, 2008 Illinois

I get angry at the internets, too, sometimes.

gory4d likes this.
  13. nesarebad

nesarebad Pooh-Bah (1,804) Feb 4, 2012 Massachusetts
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

WHY AM I SO MAD ABOUT THIS!?

14. aasher

aasher Grand Pooh-Bah (4,471) Jan 27, 2010 Indiana
    Pooh-Bah

Good for Chicago!

MarkIntihar likes this.
  15. generalnotsew1

generalnotsew1 Initiate (0) Feb 25, 2012

Don't they distribute to Japan also?

16. sethbradley

sethbradley Initiate (0) Feb 14, 2012 New York

Why aye man he's a Geordie. :slight_smile:

17. beefandbean22

beefandbean22 Pundit (820) Oct 15, 2008 Oregon
    Trader

Even tho I would love more distribution to the west coast, I can't hate on them for wanting to spread their beer to more places around the world. But, I can't even come close to agreeing with him about Portland. So much great beer there and enough breweries trying new things.

18. TheFlern

TheFlern Initiate (0) May 9, 2009 Idaho

Wow, wtf? Portland is the same beer as twenty years ago? Way to diss on every brewery in the whole town like a jackass.

19. SpottedZombie

SpottedZombie Initiate (0) Feb 7, 2012 Illinois

He's already got some of the most unique hoppy beers in the US. FFF has never had reliably good sours, which Europe is famous for. They want our hops, we want their yeast!

He's not concerned about ramping up his bbl's produced a year, he can meet demand in Chicago alone with his current amount of 30,000 bbls. The only way he can increase production is to increase the amount of breweries, and he cant control everything if he has to build a brewery in California (for example).

He already makes as much money as he feels is necessary (or he'd increase the prices). He's clearly not in it for that (it helps, but not his goal), as stxSS07 said, refer to their motto!

20. stxSS07

First time we've agreed 100% since I've seen you on here. I think that deserves a brew at DLD!

ADTaber and SpottedZombie like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.