India wild ales

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by gibbleguts, Sep 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gibbleguts

gibbleguts Initiate (0) May 25, 2010 Canada (AB)

So I was lucky enough to score a bottle of the de garde mulligan a double India wild ale while in portland last week. My question is do you drink this fresh or age it to let the funk shine. The only other of this style I have tried is the portland beer week beer and I tried it fairly fresh but old enough that the Brett was noticeable a friend tried it young and said he got no funk out of it and revisited and said it had gotten better.

Is there a rule with these?

By the way all de garde beers seem to be awesome!

jmgrub, deGardebrewing and box_social like this.
  2. Orca

Orca Grand Pooh-Bah (4,441) Sep 18, 2010 Washington
    Pooh-Bah Society

Brett funk tends to develop considerably more slowly than hops fade. So I'm gonna say find a second bottle.

LotsofLupulin likes this.
  3. BurgeoningBrewhead

BurgeoningBrewhead Initiate (0) Jul 18, 2012 Pennsylvania

Ugh...just because something is hoppy doesn't make it "India ______________."
    But my rant aside, I don't have any experience with brett so I have nothing to contribute.

HighWine and TNGabe like this.
  4. jmgrub

jmgrub Initiate (0) Nov 20, 2010 California

I think it's ready to rock now. Had a nice sample this past weekend from a bottle acquired by a friend. It's hard to do this style well and, while Mulligan is no Banks, and I even liked Regards a little better, it's pretty damn good.

5. Jules11788

Jules11788 Initiate (0) Feb 15, 2011 California

Wait a month. If it's high enough alcohol and hopped as much as a regular DIPA, then it should still have plenty of hop flavor and the Brett will be more pronounced.

Win-win

6. deGardebrewing

deGardebrewing Initiate (0) May 3, 2013 Oregon

It's pretty funky already at this point. It was hardly young when released awhile back to begin with given it's extended spontaneous fermentation.
    Im currently drinking through mine before the hop flavor and aroma bottoms out and it's just a funk bomb. Which according to my father who tried it today, happened yesterday.
    We release our hoppy stuff when we think it's at it's peak. Tastes vary though. Just my opinion. Hope you enjoy!

Orca likes this.
  7. deGardebrewing

:slight_frown:
    We'll have more Banks like blends eventually, and some beefed up hoppy wilds like Regards.
    Promise!

8. jmgrub

jmgrub Initiate (0) Nov 20, 2010 California

Haha...this was hardly meant as an insult. Mulligan was great...I just liked the other two better! Banks is easily one of the best beers I've had all year.

9. deGardebrewing

Thanks man!
    Just waiting for some more lambicesque brew and hoppy wild to cross paths to make something similar...

Oh, and to the other poster questioning our use of 'India Wild Ale'; it's a spontaneously fermented IPA. Better idea for trying to throw a style at it? I'm certainly open to suggestions. Alot of our brews don't develop much acidity because of the hopping rates, so it becomes an issue trying to give folks an idea of what to expect.

10. cavedave

cavedave Grand Pooh-Bah (4,145) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

So, since you brought it up, what, exactly, does it make it?

Here, complete this. "I just had a really hoppy pale ale secondaried on Brett. It is a style called _________________________________."

TongoRad likes this.
  11. TongoRad

TongoRad Grand Pooh-Bah (3,848) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

"Original India Ale"?:wink:

This actually seems like the one place where the 'India' moniker fits best these days.

deGardebrewing and cavedave like this.
  12. TNGabe

TNGabe Initiate (0) Feb 6, 2012 Tennessee

Great thing about hoppy brett beers is that the hop aroma doesn't fade nearly as fast as sacc beer. Never lucked into any De Garde stuff, but Galaxy White IPA keeps getting better over time.

13. DimensionX

DimensionX Initiate (0) Oct 1, 2010 Oregon

The Portland beer week India Wild Ale was likely a pitch of a pure Brett culture (probably Brett B according to my taste buds) where as Mulligan was an open fermented wild ale and should have a mix of Brett cultures and other fun bugs. I don't think using the first as an aging guideline for the second will do you much good, Mulligan was fairly funky right out of the gate.

I'll point out that this is pure speculation and I liked both beers but for different reasons. You should try to get you hands on some Solei D'Or, the new hoppy wild ale De garde released on Saturday. Nelson hops, rye, and aged in a gin barrel, crazy good.

deGardebrewing likes this.
  14. CowsandBeer

CowsandBeer Initiate (0) Sep 24, 2012 Nebraska

I've been trying to track down a six pack of that Red Swingline ipa for awhile. Sounds awesome to me!

15. machalel

machalel Initiate (0) Jan 19, 2012 Australia

Why not "Wild IPA"? :slight_smile:

deGardebrewing likes this.
  16. HighWine

HighWine Initiate (0) Dec 11, 2010 Illinois

Pale Ale

17. SDDanC

SDDanC Initiate (0) Mar 1, 2011 California

according to Yakobson, hoppy brett beers wont exhibit fading hop character. Brett acts as a scavenger of residual oxygen. basically, drink it whenever the hell you want.

18. drgarage

drgarage Initiate (0) Aug 19, 2008 California

You must be a blast at parties.

HighWine likes this.
  19. cavedave

cavedave Grand Pooh-Bah (4,145) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Actually this is the real answer I would give too. I truly believe no more than 14 different style names are needed to adequately cover all styles.

Since that isn't going to happen, India Wild Ale seems a nice pick by the man who brewed it.

20. sjverla

sjverla Initiate (0) Dec 1, 2008 Massachusetts

cavedave likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.