Was there ever a time where you "wish you knew better?"

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by RaulMondesi, Sep 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mnstorm99

mnstorm99 Initiate (0) May 11, 2007 Minnesota

Sounds like you did it right for me. As long as it was good, who cares what it was? I had beers never heard of here in the states, or if they are, I haven't seeked them out. Every area has their great beers, just enjoy them, fuck the notes.

TongoRad and BeerAssassin like this.
  2. BeerAssassin

BeerAssassin Initiate (0) Aug 17, 2012 Antarctica

I'm confused is there some rule that if you like beer, you can't also like wine? I love both, although I don't love the prices of wine and sadly now a few beers.

MattXT likes this.
  3. GuinnessAtRogerWilco

GuinnessAtRogerWilco Initiate (0) Mar 20, 2013 New Jersey

Ages ago Three Floyds used to be in NJ and at the time I didn't know how good they were. Just as Cantillon used to be in NJ and I didn't know of them either. Now I know and I wish I knew then what I know now, you know?
    I'm also sure there's been loads of times I've been to Monk's in Philly going through their 'Beer Bible' (there's one on every table) and passed up on a beer I hadn't yet heard of that is probably a fucking whale now.

4. TongoRad

TongoRad Grand Pooh-Bah (3,848) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Just to clarify- I do agree with your attitude of enjoying the moment; I also don't take notes when I'm out for that reason (and hardly ever at home, too). I did say 'make note of', because I did think it was a wasted opportunity to make the simple observation of whether I was having something made by Adnams, Conniston, or whomever- even if just for comparison's sake. That's the kind of thing that just takes a moment, and as it stands I sit here today with no idea what I had on that trip. I would just do it a touch differently these days, that's all.

5. joaopmgoncalves

joaopmgoncalves Pooh-Bah (2,277) Dec 17, 2012 Portugal
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Went to Germany about a year ago. The only german beer I've had was Berliner Kindl. On the same trip, went to Sweden, just tasted some macro-shitty beers and some Åbro. Only if I could find Omnipollo at that time! By the other hand, I was introduced to craft beers in a bar in Stockholm having Maredsous 6. My life changed since that day. :slight_smile:

6. Andrew041180

Andrew041180 Initiate (0) Mar 15, 2013 Massachusetts

I think his point is that he didn't realize that he could also go to Russian River, Bear Republic, and a couple other nearby breweries. I was fortunate enough to have someone tell me of these places and thus was able to enjoy a pint of Pliny at Russian River. If I found out about Russian River after I got back I would be shedding a few tears myself. My wife and I went for our honeymoon. I doubt I'll be going back within the next ten years. And yes, I enjoy wine as well.

7. mnstorm99

mnstorm99 Initiate (0) May 11, 2007 Minnesota

Your clarification makes much more sense to me, cheers.

8. Jacurdy60

Jacurdy60 Initiate (0) Jan 23, 2013 Massachusetts

When I purchased my first gose. It was like drinking liquefied over-salted bread dough with a shit ton of lime juice.

9. rowingbrewer

rowingbrewer Maven (1,396) May 28, 2010 Massachusetts
    Trader

Sat down and had a glass of the SH BRL instead of immediately returning to the line, could have ended up leaving with more bottles than I did.

10. Greywulfken

Greywulfken Grand Pooh-Bah (5,731) Aug 25, 2010 New York
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I completely missed out back when Founders released CBS and Better Half... I didn't know how diligent I had to be about watching for limited release-type beers. Both of those beers hit the stores without me knowing and were gone before I even knew they existed. I've always been as much a fan of Curmudgeon as of KBS, so this was bad double-miss.

11. Beeranator

Beeranator Initiate (0) Feb 8, 2013 North Carolina

My first trade.... Looking back at it I made someone very happy.

12. wpqx

wpqx Initiate (0) Aug 12, 2013 Illinois

I've have shamelessly missed Dark Lord day like every year despite living and hour from Munster for the majority of my life. It's funny how even a year ago I'd balk at certain asking prices for beer that now I'd gladly pay 3 times that. Such as not asking my girlfriend to bring back some Russian River last year when she went to San Francisco. The point is you learn from your mistakes.

Someone else mentioned King Henry I did know a guy close by who sold some for $75 a bottle, bit steep but where else are you going to find it these days?

13. ridgeline23

ridgeline23 Initiate (0) Aug 6, 2009 Pennsylvania

Right on ....... I like wine but I love beer.. A few months after our trip, I found out about all the quality breweries I missed out on.

14. Adamostella

Adamostella Savant (1,088) Apr 3, 2009 Washington
    Trader

Seasonally appropriate comment:

2010 - First year at GABF, overwhelmed by everything and not as aware, Cable Car and CBS apparently were poured on the floor.

2011- Went back thinking I knew it all, Kern Citra was the blissfully unaware miss.

2012 - Finally did some real homework and pre-festival planning. Still missed out on Southampton Black Raspberry Lambic and Persica. At least those were due just to prioritizing other things until after they ran out.

2013- Ready as ever for this round, sure there will be another one or two gems in hindsight. However, what makes the thing so great is that for all these I've missed above, I've gotten to try countless other amazing brews. The hunt, the new awesome things that come out each year and the unknown is what makes it all fun.

15. mitch3114

mitch3114 Pundit (849) Feb 20, 2012 New York

...when I bought that 22 oz bottle of SN Southern Hemisphere this past weekend for 4.99... after choking down half a pint I poured the rest, along with the other half of the bottle down the drain. It tasted horrid...shouldve known... NEVER BUY AN IPA AT A SPECIAL PRICE!!! It said harvest so I thought it came out for fall, recently... oh well, SHOULD'VE KNOWN!!!

16. Danny1217

Danny1217 Initiate (0) Jul 15, 2011 Florida

When I was in California two years ago. I passed up a bottle of Parabola on the shelf of a Whole Foods because I thought it was too expensive. Didn't know shit about barrel aged beers.

17. mrcraft

mrcraft Grand Pooh-Bah (3,322) Dec 15, 2012 California
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I took out Kern River Citra from a cooler and put it back thinking I'll buy it next time. Well, now it's a brewery only release and much harder to get than reaching into your neighborhood bottle shop cooler!

18. pathman

pathman Pooh-Bah (1,629) May 25, 2011 Ohio
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I was visiting a great craft beer store in Pennsylvania. They had just received a small shipment of RR Blind Pig. I passed on it since it was "just an IPA" (not a DIPA), it was "too expensive". Well, I've been kicking myself ever since. It's been a few years and I still haven't seen this beer again at that store.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.