The most consistently overpriced beer

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by TommyLiam, Oct 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deleted_user_749702

deleted_user_749702 Initiate (0) Aug 20, 2013

Ten fidy and anything from the bruery

CoalCellar and azorie like this.
  2. BeerAssassin

BeerAssassin Initiate (0) Aug 17, 2012 Antarctica

Anything from the Bruery and any limited or seasonal Founders. The difference is Founders makes very good but overhyped and over priced beer.

chuckstout likes this.
  3. GodlessWatermelon

GodlessWatermelon Initiate (0) Apr 12, 2012 Maryland

Rogue, Green Flash.

4. TequilaSauer

TequilaSauer Initiate (0) Dec 31, 2006 Florida

The worst, to me, is Breckinridge. The Bruery might be slightly more expensive overall, but at least their beers are good. Everything I've had from Breckinridge has been mediocre excluding the vanilla porter and even that wasn't amazing, just good.

5. jbertsch

jbertsch Pooh-Bah (2,710) Dec 14, 2008 Massachusetts
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Yep. Not even 19 ounces - they're 16.9 oz

alex_hart likes this.
  6. DarkDragon999

DarkDragon999 Savant (1,147) Feb 13, 2013 Rhode Island

Duvel. I cant find a 4 pack for less than 18 bucks and singles are usually at least 5 bucks. People here were saying they got a 4 pack for 12.99 or something and I was like, damn its never that cheap over here. I guess thats what happens when you live in an area that doesnt sell beer in supermarkets/grocery stores. Youre forced to go to liquor stores and endure their higher prices.

7. JamesShoemaker

JamesShoemaker Initiate (0) Sep 21, 2012 Michigan

Founders Backstage releases, The Bruery BA beers (I don't mind paying $10/750 ml for something like Hottenroth), Hoppin' Frog BA beers, Ten Fidy, and anything Evil Twin (even though Imperial Biscotti Break is amazing).

Now, completely and consistently reasonable beers: I would start with BCS ($7.99/4 pk for an age-friendly RIS? yes please!), Southern Tier bombers ($6.99-$8.99), and anything Great Lakes.

8. TheEpeeist

TheEpeeist Maven (1,360) Nov 5, 2008 Maryland
    Trader

I like a good quad and will try almost any i can find but i've drawn the line at the La Trappe Oak Aged series. A minimum of $19 for a 12.7 oz bottle is too much for me.

9. DropDead

DropDead Initiate (0) Feb 6, 2013 Illinois

Most places I've seen are $16 with the Duvel glass which is worth it bc it's a very fine glass. Otherwise if it's just beer then no

10. DCgolfpro

DCgolfpro Initiate (0) Oct 26, 2011 Maryland

11. rozzom

rozzom Pooh-Bah (2,534) Jan 22, 2011 New York
    Pooh-Bah Trader

Come to the magical city of New York, where everything is overpriced.

I always laugh at the threads where people talk about being "gouged" because they paid $9.99 for a six pack of XYZ, when in NYC it's likely 30% more.

To answer the question - off the top of my head a brewery that is new to NYC that tends to be on the spenny side is Crooked Stave.

12. KS1297

KS1297 Initiate (0) Apr 14, 2013 Wisconsin

I second the ten fidy. I hear it's good but come on.

ThomasMetal75 and azorie like this.
  13. Domingo

Domingo Grand Pooh-Bah (4,206) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Pooh-Bah Society

To me it's anything (san sours) that's designed to be sessionable or highly drinkable but is in an overpriced bomber.

dedbeer likes this.
  14. BoleroSnort

BoleroSnort Initiate (0) Jan 3, 2013 New Jersey

Recently saw a place asking $19.99 for a single 12oz of DFH 120 - every where else had it for $8.99-12.99 per range

cestlavie likes this.
  15. RacerX5k

RacerX5k Pundit (990) Feb 11, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Trader

in my area, kbs. someone actually paid $14.95 for one at a local bar recently. that's ridiculous. the 5050 eclipse series is consistently overpriced. i paid $22 and $25 for 2 variants, they generally sell for $30. i won't do it again. on a friday night i drank the ec 12 and was so underwhelmed i just wanted another beer. the bruery cuir and bois, another i won't do again, they're just not that good, luckily i paid $22 not the $30-$35 you see commonly. ive personally found that anytime i spend > $10 on a bomber i'm always dissapointed, the beer itself may be good but not worth the $. bourbon county bombers are the only exception. another example is evil twin imperial biscotti thats a beer i want to try but don't want to spend the $15 so i'll try to find it on tap, smaller serving but sometimes alot less expensive. even the abyss i didn't think at the time $18 was all that much, but it still wasn't good enough.

how does stone consistently deliver great taste and better value < $10 bombers? the wootstout, espresso imperial, 15th anniversary, 17th anniversary all fantastic beers. even the ones i dont particulary care for (enjoy by, ruinten) are still better value than most of the product out there.

16. Ranbot

Ranbot Pooh-Bah (2,389) Nov 27, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

In my area (greater Philadelphia) I find most bottles of Stone, Rogue, The Bruery, Jester King, Ommegang, and Dogfishhead are overpriced compared to suitable alternatives typically sitting on the same shelf.

This may be slighty OT...but FWIW, I have no issues with buying any of the above on draft.

17. ChrisMQ

ChrisMQ Initiate (0) Jun 30, 2010 New York

Anything from Allagash is supremely over priced

18. bsnone

bsnone Initiate (0) Nov 22, 2012 Arizona

For me, I won't ever pay $12 for a DFH 120 Min IPA again. It flies off of the shelves here so there are people who gladly pay for it, just not me. We have a local restaurant that has some bottles of this and World Wide Stout that they want $30 for... ugh.

19. NickMunford

NickMunford Pooh-Bah (2,094) Oct 2, 2006 Wyoming
    Pooh-Bah Society

I like Rogue beers, but they seem to be the most consistently overpriced to me.

Marty552 likes this.
  20. evilcatfish

evilcatfish Initiate (0) May 11, 2012 Missouri
    Trader

I paid $25 for a 375ml of 3F Golden Blend once. I definitely had buyer's remorse...

DropDead likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.