Barney Flats Oatmeal Stout

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by CincyTK, Apr 27, 2012.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CincyTK

CincyTK Initiate (0) Dec 21, 2010 Ohio

So the gas station (which as a decent beer selection for a gas station) near me has 6 pack 12oz cans of this highly rated stout...naturally I ask the cashier to scan it to see what the price is. I was expecting at LEAST 9.00. It scanned 3.99. I asked "are you sure?". She says "yes". Obviously this is put in their system wrong. So I bought ALL TEN of the 6packs they had. I did ask her twice if the price was correct, so should I feel bad? I practically robbed them!

I consider this a huge beer WIN. I may never top this one. Or is this a standard price for this beer? First time I have seen it around here.

Bitterbill likes this.
  2. denver10

denver10 Grand Pooh-Bah (4,081) Nov 17, 2010 New Mexico
    Pooh-Bah Society

I wouldn't feel bad, their screw up and you even double checked. I'd pop a beer open and celebrate your good fortune.

BB1313 likes this.
  3. TongoRad

TongoRad Grand Pooh-Bah (3,848) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Standard price?- not around here! We get bottled sixers for like $11.99.

Ten, huh? It's a good thing for you that it goes down nice and easy :wink:. You guilt should be assuaged by your fifth or sixth in a row- and then you'll still have a huuuge stockpile to fall back on. Honestly, though, you suspected a screwup and gave them a chance to double check it. They confirmed the price, so you did all you really had to do if it were up to me. Enjoy the break you got.

As to the beer- it's one of those that hits that sweet spot of being something you could 'ponder', if the mood struck, but also is just as much a real quaffer. And it's pretty flawless to boot- something I really enjoy drinking in twos and threes every now and then. Cheers!

4. CincyTK

12.00 for 6!? Ok.. I got a great deal. I have 60 cans. I would buy more if they make this "mistake" again. I did double check twice... I can't force them to charge me more! lol I just had my first one.. I like it... great color and smooth drinking and still retains the oatmeal stoutness I like

5. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Initiate (0) Mar 18, 2010 California

It's a good beer but 60 cans of it from a gas station?

6. CincyTK

Gas station with a rather long beer section.. several imports and micro brews.. both local and national. A good selection for a local gas station/convenience store. And yes.. Then 6 packs. They had 6 in their cooler and 4 in back. I took em all.

7. JuicesFlowing

JuicesFlowing Initiate (0) Jul 5, 2009 Kansas

That's a huge win.

8. ledzeppelin4

ledzeppelin4 Initiate (0) May 18, 2011 Illinois

That's a great catch and all, but was it really necessary to buy all 10 of the 6 packs? (Unless you have a business and plan on selling them). It just seems like they would drop-off in flavor before you can enjoy them.

9. jchoffman

jchoffman Devotee (387) Jan 28, 2012 Georgia

I would of done the same thing, and shared with friends before I let that deal go...

10. MikeyMikee

MikeyMikee Crusader (456) Mar 4, 2010 New York
    Trader

Maybe it was out of code? That could be why they had 3 cases of it and probably got it for really cheap. Maybe they had it for a while and knocked the price down to their cost just to get rid of it.

The only reason I'm suggesting that is because no body in their right mind sells a 6 pack for $4... That's cheaper than bud, and anyone who has worked in a store (gas station or not) would know that.

11. Blueribbon666

Blueribbon666 Pooh-Bah (1,645) Jul 4, 2008 Ohio
    Pooh-Bah Society

I would have cleaned them out too, Barney Flats is one of my favorite oatmeal stouts, top notch and I can't wait to try the cans I've just recently seen on the shelves in Ohio going for $8.99 a sixer. I've only recently seen them in cans so age can't be a huge factor and stouts keep fairly well, even better in total darkness...

CincyTK likes this.
  12. FosterJM

FosterJM Initiate (0) Nov 16, 2009 California

9.99 here in Chino Hills, CA

Cheers!

CincyTK likes this.
  13. CincyTK

Cheers is right!

14. CincyTK

I know this store's beer case by heart.. this beer was just put in 2 weeks ago.. I read reviews on here before I try something new.. especially something expensive(or what I think will be expensive) Rang up 3.99. I asked them to check again. End of story. I don't expect this beer to be around too long for any aging to occur . I will drink it semi regularly..and share with friends. It really is a quality oatmeal stout.

15. CincyTK

I live in Cincy

16. FunkyMacGroovin

FunkyMacGroovin Initiate (0) Sep 22, 2009 California

$8.99 where I work. Dunno if I would've bought them all, but I definitely would've bought several.

17. denver10

denver10 Grand Pooh-Bah (4,081) Nov 17, 2010 New Mexico
    Pooh-Bah Society

Yeah, I couldn't have bought them all due to my need to switch things up but I'd definitely have bought as much as I thought I could drink before they'd get too old. Definitely one of my favorite beers.

18. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Grand High Pooh-Bah (6,772) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Pooh-Bah Society

Top notch Oatmeal Stout that I got in a trade. I wish it was distributed here at a regular price, never mind the awesome price you bought it at!

19. shand

shand Pooh-Bah (2,166) Jul 13, 2010 Florida
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I'd have probably went in for a case at that price, not sure if I'd go through it fast enough to warrant two and a half cases. It's a really good beer for sure though, you got a nice price.

20. beerFool28607

beerFool28607 Initiate (0) Feb 22, 2012 North Carolina

Got it for $18/case..but it was on clearance sale. I would have snatched it all at that price too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.