MOST bitter IPA

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Robtobfest, Aug 20, 2013.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MPSTARR

MPSTARR Initiate (0) Apr 28, 2013 Florida

1000 IBU. By far the most bitter beer that I have tried so far. Can't say that I really enjoyed it I believe that it is way over the top as far as bitter goes!

2. zestd

zestd Savant (1,027) Jan 18, 2013 Idaho

Recently, Green Bullet was a tough drink.

3. Keffa

Keffa Initiate (0) Jan 8, 2009 Ohio

I thought it was a tough drink due to the grungy, oniony hop used in it. If that's Green Bullet the hop, I don't want to ever use it.

To me, the most bitter IPA of any sort that I've ever had would be Hopsickle. Nothing else is even close. It seriously felt like my entire palate was covered in hop oil and it was stripping away my enamel.

4. PaulyB83

PaulyB83 Initiate (0) Sep 1, 2013 Michigan

Fresh Oracle, pretty much any Sierra Nevada. Gonna try some Green Bullet this week, wish me luck.

5. Beeelander

Beeelander Initiate (0) Jan 2, 2013 New York

For me personally it is a toss up between fresh Ruination or fresh Double Bastard. I find both unpleasantly bitter when they are young.

6. VitisVinifera

VitisVinifera Pundit (855) Feb 25, 2013 California

I don't have any stats to back me up, but the Stone Ruin Ten was just insanely intense.

PaulyB83 likes this.
  7. Keffa

Keffa Initiate (0) Jan 8, 2009 Ohio

I don't think you have anything to worry about. You've had Oracle, and fresh Oracle is more bitter than Green Bullet, IMO.

8. flayedandskinned

flayedandskinned Initiate (0) Jan 1, 2011 California

Palate Wrecker 100%
    for me...

and I loved evey minute of it.

9. TruePerception

TruePerception Initiate (0) Aug 30, 2013 California

My store had one that was 144 IBUs, but I don't recall the name.

10. Mybeercanbeatupyourbeer

Mybeercanbeatupyourbeer Initiate (0) Oct 1, 2013 Ohio

I almost died drinking F:grinning:D

MWilt likes this.
  11. Hdredfern

Hdredfern Initiate (0) Feb 16, 2012 Texas

when I go to bars with great beer selections I tell the bartender to give me an IPA that will punch me in the face and call me names on the way down.

utopiajane likes this.
  12. Dan269605

Dan269605 Initiate (0) Jul 10, 2013 Connecticut

If I had to pick one that I remember being particularly hard to finish, I would say Devil Dancer, one that I also found bitter is Harpoon's Rich and Dan's Rye IPA, but that was old, unbalanced and obviously declining and not what intended to be.

I had Ruination yesterday and really don't find it THAT bitter, it's very easy for me to drink. Ruinten I thought was quite a step up, but I wish I had it more than once to re-evaluate.

Finestkind is fairly bitter for a single IPA, but I remember just enjoying it

One more I would put up there is Resin, it was like the name, very, very resinous.

I need to get my hands on Hoptimum and not IPAs but their are many American style Barleywines are quite bitter...

13. TequilaSauer

TequilaSauer Initiate (0) Dec 31, 2006 Florida

Green Bullet and Fresh Deviant Dale's were the first that came to mind. And I love them both.

dawatts likes this.
  14. dawatts

dawatts Initiate (0) Dec 27, 2006 Massachusetts

Came to post Deviant Dale's. Thanks.

15. BobConner

BobConner Initiate (0) Jun 12, 2013 New York

I find that IBUs can be misleading as far as bitterness registering on the palate...at least for me. Dogfish 120 for instance, I find that the malt sweetness and the heat overcome a good deal of that bitter punch. Same with the Ruin Ten. ST Unearthly Ive only had the oak aged, and there the aging tends to temper the bitter, as one would expect. Dbl Crooked Tree however, there's a big beer with a bitter kick in the teeth. And here's one that's outside the IPA box but I found the sweetness does not overcome the big lingering bitter finish...Stone's Double Bastard. I taste that bitter on the roof of my mouth an hour after I have it. And speaking of Mikkeller, I recently had the USAlive and any real influence from the Brett was lost in the bitter of that beer.

ChrisMyhre likes this.
  16. Rimbimhoot

Rimbimhoot Maven (1,420) Sep 26, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

Galaxy Slayer. No question there

17. TequilaSauer

TequilaSauer Initiate (0) Dec 31, 2006 Florida

Yeah, you can't go by IBUs. There are beers with lower IBU ratings than 90 minute that are FAR more bitter. I don't find RuinTen to be all that bitter, honestly. I don't know the IBUs on these, but Green Bullet (much moreso than Wrecker), Humidor Jai Alai, and Deviant Dale's have the most over-the-top bitterness of any IPAs out there. Tastes like you're chewing on a grapefruit rind.

18. jfh

jfh Crusader (440) Apr 25, 2008 California

Hopsickle from Moylans tied with HopCraic XXXX also from Moylans. IMO, nothing else comes close. Hoptimum, Hoptologist, Ruination, all drinkable by me. No so with the 2 Moylans beers. If you want Hopsickle, send me a message and we can trade. Bombers are $10, pretty much year round availability.

19. cpjtr9559

cpjtr9559 Initiate (0) Nov 30, 2007 New York

Mean Manalishi Double I.P.A.

20. time4lunch

time4lunch Crusader (432) Aug 10, 2012 New Hampshire
    Trader

The recent batches of smuttynose finestkind have been rediculously bitter imo

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.