The Alchemist is closing the cannery to the public on 11/15

Discussion in 'New England' started by BoldRulerVT, Nov 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jomobono

jomobono Savant (1,114) Mar 12, 2012 Massachusetts

From this moment, November 5th will no longer be known as Guy Fawkes Day, but National Butt Hurt Day.

Remember, remember!
    The fifth of November,
    The Alchemist treason and plot;
    I know of no reason
    Why the Alchemist treason
    Should ever be forgot!

LeRose, rozzom, lovindahops and 33 others like this.
  2. MikeT77

MikeT77 Initiate (0) Jul 2, 2010 New York

They put this up as a reply to what someone posted:

The AlchemistIt's better than if we closed altogether. Sorry to disappoint but we have a lot of factors to consider here. We will try to get our retail locations more stock. Stay tuned for updates - we will share news as it's available.

So it seems to me that the town was probably making a big stink and there's more to it then they're letting on. There would be no reason to close other than those in charge of the town threatening them in some way.

They also say "we will try to get our retail locations more stock". If they're not selling out of the cannery and they're not opening any new retail accounts, wouldn't there be plenty of beer to go to existing retail accounts?

3. JMagee

JMagee Initiate (0) Jan 2, 2013 New York

I wonder if the incredible grey/black market that has developed throughout the NE for HT ($8-15 a can on LI) played any sort of role in this decision. It seems like it pops up quite frequently at bottle shops and even bars, and you could probably find a can whenever you wanted to, if you were willing to look hard enough.

I know that in theory the resale should only hit the shops, I'm curious if the Alchemist was starting to feel any heat/pressure to regulate on his end, even though he shouldn't have to worry about where his product was going.

4. ommegoodness

ommegoodness Initiate (0) Apr 21, 2010 Massachusetts

That is an interesting theory, and could be fairly lucrative for both Alchemist and CBC. Notably, CBC's Facebook post was the first place I learned of this development and they are totally supportive of the move. Of course they could (and should) be sucking up to make sure they get added as a retailer, even if Alchemist isn't completely outsourcing the distribution to the CBC shop down the hill.

jomobono likes this.
  5. tkdchampxi

tkdchampxi Initiate (0) Oct 19, 2010 New Jersey

I got the same sense from reading their replies on FB. I imagine
    1) that the vehicular traffic could be too much of a nusiance to the neighbors, with so many cars coming in and out of Alchemists' gravel parking lot;
    2) that there may be too much vehicular traffic affecting traffic patterns (though i doubt that); or
    3) that there may be some issue with zoning, because they are now operating more as a beer retailer than a beer cannery that happens to also sell from the location.

This is all speculation, of course

6. WeymouthMike

WeymouthMike Initiate (0) Jun 22, 2004 Massachusetts

Lets be honest the neighbors have little ground to stand on but I undertsand you want to be a good neighbor. In reality the Alchemist is responsible for bringing a shit ton of money into Vermont in tourism and taxes that the state would otherwise not see. I would assume the amount of money they bring to the state would be measured in the seven figure range.

Is this beer still worth it? I would be happy drinking nothing but heady if I had to make that choice but I wouldn't be as apt purchase it weekly $15 4 packs as I would at $12. It may only be $3 but I could also pick up a 12 pack of SN Celebration for less than the price of a Heady 4 pack.

7. BottleCaps80

BottleCaps80 Initiate (0) Jan 12, 2013 Iowa

There is a definite grey/black market for it outside of VT and even the NE. It was recently for sale at an Iowa bar (El Bait Shop) for $12 a can. Ridiculous!

8. emannths

emannths Initiate (0) Sep 21, 2007 Massachusetts

The easiest way to solve this problem is just to charge $8-15/can in the first place, not move the store down the road a few blocks.

Brewers would have a much easier time if they would just recognize the presence of market forces...

woodfinish and Rekrule like this.
  9. Squidly

Squidly Initiate (0) Nov 26, 2006 New Jersey

Or just open a retail shop with better parking out in the woods somewhere. Fire up the refrigerator and start selling again.

bribo likes this.
  10. Rekrule

Rekrule Initiate (0) Nov 11, 2011 Massachusetts

Their Facebook page is a laugh riot of entitlement.

KS1297 and kinopio like this.
  11. AdamsDTD

AdamsDTD Initiate (0) Jun 5, 2011 Massachusetts

I go to VT for Hill Farmstead primarily. If I happen to have time to get some HT, awesome. Otherwise, I've had plenty of enjoyable experiences in the area without that particular beer. It's a delicious beer, but I'm not too saddened by this news.

LeeMarvin and Horbar like this.
  12. emannths

emannths Initiate (0) Sep 21, 2007 Massachusetts

That's not a bad price. Enjoy By is $7/10oz. A $12 can is $7.50/10oz. And you're guaranteed a full pour.

13. jbdpsu82

jbdpsu82 Pundit (942) Aug 28, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Trader

I highly doubt it is permanent. Given that someone said they would be coming up in June of next year and Alchemist replied that they would have a solution figured out by then. Also, someone stated they should open a new cannery/sales location, and they said they're working on that as well.

fermentedbarley likes this.
  14. BumpkinBrewer

BumpkinBrewer Pundit (993) Jan 6, 2010 Massachusetts

This will probably turn out for the best. They can now concentrate on making beer and filling their accounts. Who knows, maybe now it'll be more available closer to the borders so people won't have to drive that far.

pjs234 likes this.
  15. BoldRulerVT

BoldRulerVT Initiate (0) Oct 2, 2013 Vermont

Alchemist makes 1,800 cases per week. Currently 1,200 go out of the cannery and 600 go to retailers. Retailers will be getting triple the stock of HT.[/quote]

16. bahnfire

bahnfire Initiate (0) Jan 17, 2011 Vermont

There is a house literally on the other side of the brewery if you drive 50ft up the road. Just beyond that is more homes. There are also two homes/small business directly before the brewery on either side of the road. I have no doubt those folks have complained over time and it came to a head.

17. LambicPentameter

LambicPentameter Initiate (0) Aug 29, 2012 Nebraska

The oddest post I saw on the Facebook firestorm was this exchange:

[redacted name]: "So basically, I now have to hunt your product down instead of getting it from the source, and be subject to nothing but retailers who will all surely sell it for more than the $3.25/can you sold it for at the brewery?

Well that sucks. Royally."

[The Alchemist]: "It's just beer Hayden. Relax. We are working on a plan but it won't happen overnight. Have patience."

It's not often you see a product vendor tell their obsessed fans to chill out about wanting their product. It's the frenzy you see in that comment that has driven Heady Topper's popularity. Well, that and the fact that it's an amazingly tasty beer.

Methinks they could have prevented a great deal of angst if they had alluded to this being a temporary stopgap in their original announcement...

18. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Grand Pooh-Bah (3,181) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

This was posted in Beer News: http://www.alchemistbeer.com/a-difficult-decision/

Cheers!

LambicPentameter likes this.
  19. Luk13

Luk13 Initiate (0) May 25, 2009 Canada (QC)

It seems too much of a bad decision to not be temporary.

#119 Luk13, Nov 5, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2013
  20. bribo

bribo Initiate (0) Dec 11, 2012 New York

I'd be happy if they would start shipping to southern Vermont.

MRLMedic and LopeJuice like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.