Westvleteren 12 vs Rochefort 10 and Bernardus 12

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by bochman, Mar 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Danny1217

Danny1217 Initiate (0) Jul 15, 2011 Florida

Rochefort 10 > Westy 12 > St. Bernardus 12

All extremely close, and some of my favorite beers.

2. johngalt12345

johngalt12345 Initiate (0) Feb 19, 2012 Maryland

I'd say they are listed in the correct order in the thread title.

3. MarcWP

MarcWP Initiate (0) Dec 2, 2012 Arizona

I found St Bernardus to be the overly hyped between the three. Westy and Rochefort are just better beers in my opinion. And the beauty of it is that Westy and Rochefort vary amongst themselves enough to keep it interesting. Two of my favorite all time brews

4. SLOCruzin

SLOCruzin Zealot (620) Sep 30, 2013 California
    Trader

I had westy, st. Bernardus, pannepot, rochefort, chimay blue, and la trappe in a tasting. My personal preference was pannepot> Westy> Rochefort> St. Bernardus> chimay blue> la trappe. Westy was good, but I didn't hear angels singing when I had it.

5. papaholmz

papaholmz Initiate (0) Nov 7, 2012 South Carolina

Just out of curiousity, did the Angels sing when you had the Pannepot?

azorie, MarcWP and Kadonny like this.
  6. Kadonny

Kadonny Pooh-Bah (2,582) Sep 5, 2007 Florida
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Abt 12 is hyped? Where? If anything, I'd say it's not talked about enough, it's almost taken for granted. I think Abt 12 is the best of the three because it's not as sweet.

Fresh Abt 12 is a thing of beauty, so much fruit it's insane.

keithmurray, PSU_Mike and od_sf like this.
  7. SLOCruzin

Trader

Haha no, unfortunately not, nor was the pot of gold and the end of the rainbow revealed. I probably need to try Westy 12 again , seeing as one taste is never enough to get a sense of a beer, especially something as complex as a quad.

8. mlhyatt

mlhyatt Initiate (0) Jul 27, 2013 Georgia

I haven't had the westy 12 yet, granted it is sitting in my room (not sure what i'm saving it for) but i have had rochefort 10 and st. Bernardus. I would have thrown pannepot into the mix of tasting and as far as i know i would order them rochefort 10, pannepot, then st. Bernardus: leaving room for westy 12 when i try it. All excellent beers. Been waiting for an american brewery to make a quad as good as these. The sixth glass is really good but unfortnately nowhere near these beers.

9. Dreizhen

Dreizhen Initiate (0) Jun 6, 2013 District of Columbia

Rochefort>Westy>St. B.I've had a good amount of all 3 and Rochefort is hands down my favorite.

10. shnsajax

shnsajax Initiate (0) Jul 2, 2013 Idaho

Westy>Abt12>Rochefort. Had a Rochefort last night, still like the Abt 12 over it. Might have to drink one tonight. You know, just for science.

11. SLOCruzin

Trader

For it to be statistically significant, you need at least 5 reps per sample. Therefore, you must conduct your tasting 15 times. I feel for you.

12. MarcWP

MarcWP Initiate (0) Dec 2, 2012 Arizona

Weird, I found it the sweetest among the three. But the ratings speak for themselves on this one. Maybe that fruitiness is what also didn't do it for me. I like balance and complexity and the St Bernie wasn't on Westy's or Rocheforts level.

13. SLOCruzin

Trader

I didn't like St. Bernardus the first couple times I had it. The third time, I enjoyed it. Not sure what to chalk it up to, but it drives home the fact that sss doesn't tell you much about beer one way or another.

14. GodlessWatermelon

GodlessWatermelon Initiate (0) Apr 12, 2012 Maryland

Had all 3 on separate occasions. Rochefort 10 has always been a favorite.

15. Kadonny

Kadonny Pooh-Bah (2,582) Sep 5, 2007 Florida
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

That is weird. I hardly remember my Westy tasting but ABT12 and Rochefort I have had just recently and in my opinion the Rochefort is much sweeter.

16. azorie

azorie Pooh-Bah (2,409) Mar 18, 2006 Florida
    Pooh-Bah

only if your in Amsterdam when you do it. lol

17. Dupage25

Dupage25 Savant (1,020) Jul 4, 2013 Antarctica

Haven't had Westy but for me the order goes like this, approximately:

1. Cuvee Van de Kaizer Blue aged 2-3 years
    2. St. Bernardus ABT 12 750ml bottle aged 2+ years
    3. Fresh Rochefort 10
    4. Rochefort 10 aged 2 years
    5. Fresh St. Bernardus ABT 12 330ml bottle

Can't remember the other Belgian quadruple strong dark ale beers enough to rank them, with the exception that Alvinne Cuvee D'Pygmy or however it's spelled is the best Belgian quad strong dark ale beer ever. Also enjoy Chimay Blue and Pannepot.

18. Tayloraphilips

Tayloraphilips Initiate (0) Aug 9, 2013 Texas

Rochefort all day

19. PSU_Mike

PSU_Mike Initiate (0) Sep 6, 2013 Pennsylvania

I had Rochefort 10 and a St. Bernardus Abt 12 this weekend with my father and brother in law. I found them to be VERY similar. Minimal aroma, very well hidden ABV, silky smooth finish, etc. All 3 of us preferred St. Bernardus. Is Westy as similar?

20. DarthGuitarHero

DarthGuitarHero Initiate (0) Jan 15, 2011 Minnesota

Two buddies and I did a blind tasting of Rochefort 10, St. Bernardus Abt 12, Westy 12, and Pannepot. All the beers had roughly 1 year of aging. We'd all had all of those beers at least once before.

We ranked them from best to worst, and tried to guess which was which. All agreed that these are 4 phenomenal beers. It was unanimous that Rochefort 10 was the best, and all agreed that Westy 12 and Rochefort 10 were the most similar to each other. It's good to know that after I drink my last Westy that I can always pick up some Rochefort 10, pour it in my Westy glass, and not really be able to tell the difference.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.