What's the best tongue numbing sour you know?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by chamawaiian, Nov 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LambicPentameter

LambicPentameter Initiate (0) Aug 29, 2012 Nebraska

Thanks for the info Jeremy. I did see that blog post when it was originally posted (although I didn't remember that the acidity of Foeder was higher), but having tried both beers several times, I get much more "pucker" from LC than I did from Foeder. In fact, I found Foeder to be a pretty well-balanced beer, as far as sours go. I love the fact that it has a jammy taste without being sweet.

Acidity and pH remind me a little bit of IBUs, in that they are scientific measures of something that we perceive subjectively.

2. JeremyDanner

JeremyDanner Zealot (679) Dec 20, 2005 Missouri

For sure. That's why we drink beer rather than just reading the specs. All of the numbers are great, but can't accurately express how your tongue is going taste the beer. Beer is cool.

LambicPentameter likes this.
  3. waddellc2

waddellc2 Savant (1,187) Aug 23, 2012 Pennsylvania

Bear Republic Tartare!!!

afrokaze likes this.
  4. Larkin4beer

Larkin4beer Initiate (0) Nov 25, 2012

The Bruery Mother Funker or TOD are some of the most sour beers I have had

5. youbrewidrink

youbrewidrink Initiate (0) Apr 9, 2009 Vermont
    Deactivated

Trinity Old Growth by a large margin!

6. haknort

haknort Initiate (0) Apr 10, 2013 Illinois

Agreed. But just tried it against a Cantillon Kriek, and the Kriek edged it out on sourness.

7. hoerr

hoerr Initiate (0) Oct 18, 2009 South Carolina

How has everyone left out Jester King???

Funk Metal
    Boxer's Revenge
    RU-55 (possibly my personal favorite sour/wild ever)

8. JCam9981

JCam9981 Pundit (797) Nov 30, 2011 North Carolina
    Trader

Hanssens Scarenbecca Kriek was the first thing to come to mind, would also throw Cantillon Rose de Gambrinus out there too. Although I could drink Gambrinus all day, while a few sips of Scarenbecca had me reaching for the antacids.

9. MusicaleMike

MusicaleMike Savant (1,220) Mar 17, 2008 Pennsylvania

Correct. Though they will be very soon...they have a building and are working on the brewhouse.

10. mizary

mizary Initiate (0) Oct 25, 2007 Ohio

My Blueberry Nightmare - Birrificio Del Ducato
    http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/16043/84897

perhaps it was also the high abv (9.4%) that made it seem more sour...

I was not a fan. Reviews are either 5 or 1.

Just seemed over the top to me...

afrokaze likes this.
  11. afrokaze

afrokaze Pooh-Bah (1,933) Jun 12, 2009 Oregon
    Pooh-Bah Society

JK makes some great sours for sure, but the OP asked for ones that are puckeringly sour; most of the JK sours I've tried are more on the balanced side and decently funky rather than outright sour (which is fine by me.)

hoerr likes this.
  12. mychalg9

mychalg9 Pooh-Bah (2,061) Apr 8, 2010 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah Society

Without a doubt, it was Upland Persimmon Lambic. After that I'd say NG Very Sour Blackberry. That stuff fills the gaps between your teeth with sourness.

13. Miruguy

Miruguy Zealot (631) Nov 22, 2010 California

Sounds like you need to try some different Bruery Sours - I think Bottleworks XII is one of the best sours out there, and Wanderer, SitR w/peaches or kumquats, Oude Tart w/Cherries are all excellent. They are society releases only, so you need to trade for them, but it's well worth it.

14. 4DAloveofSTOUT

4DAloveofSTOUT Grand Pooh-Bah (3,730) Nov 28, 2008 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

cool! Thanks!

15. kbuzz

kbuzz Initiate (0) Jan 22, 2011 North Carolina

I wasn't overly impressed with Bottleworks XII and considering I don't like regular SitR or Oude, I'm certainly not going to trade for the variants, especially at their massive pricepoint. Until I get a sour Bruery beer that impresses me, I'm not chasing down anything by them in the that department.

16. jkblodge

jkblodge Initiate (0) Jun 27, 2005 Maryland

I would have to say the most sour tongue ripping beer I've ever had was Old Growth from Trinity

17. Miruguy

Miruguy Zealot (631) Nov 22, 2010 California

Very good.

18. MLaVioletteJr

MLaVioletteJr Initiate (0) Jun 12, 2013 Massachusetts
    Deactivated

I had my first sour beer today. Bruery Oude Tart. I liked it, it was a totally new experience for me. I couldn't believe how sour it was. It tasted like lemon juice dry hopped with sour cherry Sour Patch Kids aged on a bed of Shock Tarts. They actually get more sour than this?

19. sacrelicio

sacrelicio Pooh-Bah (1,826) Feb 15, 2005 Minnesota
    Pooh-Bah Society

Is there a measurement for how sour a beer is, like how IBUs are used to indicate hop bitterness? Would pH be a good measure? I'd be interested to test the pH of sour beers to determine the most sour ones.

20. jmccullough108

jmccullough108 Initiate (0) Jan 3, 2013 Missouri

La Folie
    Le Terroir
    Petrus Aged Pale

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.