'13 Goose Island Bourbon County Stout sightings already?!? (Midwest or anywhere..)

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by VagabondHops, Nov 22, 2013.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stephenieman

stephenieman Zealot (552) Oct 14, 2011 Illinois
    Deactivated

Hahn's Liquors 1410 W. Devon has 4-5 Backyards, about 10 Proprietor's, (7) 4-Packs of Barleywine & LOTS of Regular for $35.99 each. That's right, that's per 4-pack AND PER BOMBER!

I gotta be honest: I wanted nothing more than a 4-pack of the Barleywine as it's my favorite style and King Henry maybe the best beer I've ever had (so I'm confident the Barleywine is delicious). But this year this shit has gone off the chain... and no I did NOT buy any of the above mentioned products.

The owners I've spoken to about the speed at which bottles have moved / actual truck chasers (that's f'real now, it's not just a joke) have all had the same flabbergasted look on their face. I don't know if this release has become entertaining or just plain sad.

2. jtg5678

jtg5678 Zealot (572) Nov 27, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

Headed back to Chicago via St. Louis...any shops worth checking along the way?

3. steebo777

steebo777 Initiate (0) Jun 30, 2009 Michigan

I'll be in Lakeview within the hour. Anyone know of any around there? is fine if you don't wanna post on here.

4. gregdafdxguy

gregdafdxguy Initiate (0) Feb 17, 2013 Illinois

Here's one roundup: First, for price comparisons, Whole Foods was selling the bombers for $19.99, and the four packs, all of them, for $22.99. Beer Temple had the best price of anybody, $19.99 for the bombers and the four packs, and he keeps earning my trust. $29.99 was typical for bombers and four packs at the small liquor stores on the North Side. I missed a couple of cool releases because I work so damn early or I'm just busy. Wish I could have made the Capone's party at midnight on Thanksgiving, they had Cantillon and FW17 for sale too, and great samples. West Lakeview is only telling people "we don't have it in yet," which I think is code for, "we'll sell it when the hype is over." I hope that's soon, I've been buying BCBS there for almost 10 years (and Pipeworks for the last year) and I'd like to keep the streak alive. Some dependable Jewels in the city are still awaiting their delivery. So there's more coming this week, for those not exhausted from the hunt.

5. Kwaz

Kwaz Initiate (0) Mar 31, 2012 Illinois

Proprietor's still in store when I was there an hour ago. 4-packs maybe not the best deal but the owner is super nice and I have no problem paying $30 for a bomber of Proprietor's.

6. stephenieman

Deactivated

$35.99 is a better deal on a 4-pack than a bomber and the owners, both husband and wife, are as nice as nice gets.

7. Kwaz

Maybe a better deal per oz if the beer contained within were the same exact thing.

8. arash1000

arash1000 Initiate (0) Sep 26, 2012 California
    Trader

I was just there now and they are all out of bombers. They did have some barely wine variants left but that was it except the regular BCBS.

9. lopy

lopy Aspirant (256) Sep 22, 2010 Illinois
    Trader

10. Dontcounttoday

Dontcounttoday Initiate (0) Apr 23, 2010 Illinois

As much as I love Christina and her shop, I'm pretty sure that means that she is holding everything back for her favorites/regulars and when/IF anything is left over, it will hit their shelves at a great price. Most likely itll be regular BCBS only. Whatever she wants to do though is cool by me. Taking care of the regulars is much better than ridiculous price gouging

Bond111 likes this.
  11. stephenieman

Deactivated

Add 1/4 oz. of Templeton and some toasted Coconut to a regular pour in a snifter = "Poor(-ietor's) Man's BCBS"... we can agree to disagree on pricing.
    And hell, your money is your money, do your thing!

12. jdhende

jdhende Initiate (0) Sep 27, 2010 Illinois

Kristina is honestly one of the nicest people you will ever meet. She just doesn't like truck chasers who will never come into her store again. Which I can't really blame her for. I'm not her biggest customer, but anytime I go in and talk to her she goes out of her way to show me new great beers they have in the store.

Bond111 likes this.
  13. Dontcounttoday

Dontcounttoday Initiate (0) Apr 23, 2010 Illinois

I fully agree, and I have nothing bad to say about her. I'm just saying, she holds her big beers back for her regulars 90% of the time, so I wouldn't hold out much hope to get any variants there.

14. da_bulls

da_bulls Initiate (0) Jun 7, 2012 Illinois

I'm sure you are not a regular there and that is what he would tell people he didn't recognize. I went in there this past Tuesday (I think, could have been Wed) just to see what was up as I was passing through the area. Beer dude, who I've met before and has been the beer manager for <1yr, said he had no idea and was real stern about it. I don't think he recognized me as I don't shop there as often as I used to, especially since he has taken over the reigns. I no longer pass this location while in route to my buddie's place in Wheaton since he has moved. Really irked me because I knew he was lying, he even appologized for his short response and emphasized the point of him not knowing anything while just getting off the phone and writing a name and number on a piece of paper. I was shocked, gave him a weird look and left.

I am no truck chaser and haven't even secured any bottles from my usual local spots that are <10min from my house. The BCBS hunt this year has really changed my view about liquor stores and the scene in general, dude behind me at South Loop on Friday wouldn't stop talking about how he was at his 7th location that day and his amazing haul and all the people across the country he was in contact for trading said bottles.(And no he wasn't wearing a fedora) All I could think was this guy is a fucking crazy loser. FFS it's just a god damned coconut flavored BCBS, #INSTAWHALE. I learned a lot in the past few days of the people who are in the scene and more about the liquor stores I will continue to shop at and avoid.

[/rant]
    [/melt]

Barrylicious, ppohio and stephenieman like this.
  15. Kwaz

I wasn't trying to snub your assertion; I bought a 4-pack of barleywine for $35.99 and am OK with it. I was just trying to make the point that the two beers are different substances, and cannot be strictly compared on $/oz without taking that into account.

16. nucmedmario

nucmedmario Initiate (0) Sep 1, 2010 Illinois

The shady people at Evolution have single bottles of BCS on "sale" for $10.99
    [​IMG]

DLDlulz and ravot like this.
  17. tag

tag Initiate (0) Dec 1, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

That looks like it is only the online price, singles are $8.99 (still overpriced) at the lakeview store. But I got my 4-packs of coffee, barleywine, and bombers at Evolution for $24-$26 on Friday - on the higher end of the range in Chicago but I wouldn't call it shady.

18. imperialbeerdude

imperialbeerdude Initiate (0) Feb 5, 2012 Colorado

Can the proprietors still be found? I have a friend going to Chicago so I'm curious. Help a beer brother out.

19. nucmedmario

nucmedmario Initiate (0) Sep 1, 2010 Illinois

Same people who wanted you to give them your credit card number over the phone just to reserve BCS.

20. tinypyramids

tinypyramids Pundit (897) Jul 19, 2012 Illinois

ouch. makes me glad i didn't call them after all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.