1. Trying to obtain a specific beer? Looking for a proxy or trustee? Tired of trading on other platforms? We've got you covered. Join our Beer Trading community to unlock this forum and new features! — Todd, Founder of BeerAdvocate

advice on value of k13 versus murda'd

Discussion in 'Trade Talk' started by Captiveodyssey, Jan 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Captiveodyssey

Captiveodyssey Initiate (0) May 24, 2011 Florida

i know a good guy who would like to do a trade with me but i want things to be fair on both sides. In relation to one another, are both beers roughly equal in trade value, or is one leaps and bounds rarer. Just need some UNBIASED advice. thanks

2. Anonymous1

Anonymous1 Initiate (0) Mar 19, 2012 Illinois

The answer to this question is 42.

powz87 and kapkenobi like this.
  3. mikeincharleston

mikeincharleston Initiate (0) May 1, 2009 North Carolina

I'm not 100% sure on the value of murda'd but I would think it would be a lot easier to get than K12

claaark13 likes this.
  4. Captiveodyssey

Thank you both for completely useless advice.

calcnerd likes this.
  5. Stevedore

Stevedore Grand Pooh-Bah (5,072) Nov 16, 2012 Oregon
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Rarity of the K13 (limit 1, bottle count was like 260?) should balance out the fact that Murda'd was $50 (brewery-only turd that sat on the shelves for months) vs the $21. Its subjective as to who should add, but I would say 1:1 isn't completely unfair.

claaark13 likes this.
  6. Crawfordesquire

Crawfordesquire Initiate (0) Dec 20, 2011 North Carolina

You ask stupid questions you are bound to get stupid answers

7. Captiveodyssey

I don't see how. There is not a lot of info in iso's except for a bunch of people ransom in off both beers. One was super limited, the other was less limited, older, equally tasty and won't be brewed again. Regardless of whether or not a beer sat on the shelves upon its first release, does not indicate current value (I.e. South Hampton black raspberry)

8. Stevedore

Stevedore Grand Pooh-Bah (5,072) Nov 16, 2012 Oregon
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

The real answer is whatever you guys work out that makes both of you walk away happy.

/thread

9. Crawfordesquire

There is just a better way to do it, bm'ing those who put the beers up ft is a start, you can compare the numbers released, the gots/wants, average review scores, gauge the iso/ft threads, check out the already established threads which tried to determine the value. I just thought your post was stupid because of the comparative nature. I know I've done in before, but it was dumb of me when I did it. I think the best approach is to evaluate the value of each separately then compare on your own, and then maybe throw up a ft:iso post just to test the waters.

10. Captiveodyssey

Because I didn't already do that? Had I not already exhausted those resources, I would not have asked for help.

11. Crawfordesquire

Well then I apologize.bol with the trade.

12. Anonymous1

Murda'd was released about a year ago or so for $50 per bottle, and I think there were around 1,000 bottles, brewery only. It was released in two different waves and lasted 3-4 total weeks because of the high sale price and because it was initially limited to one per person. It's a bourbon barrel aged blend of Darkness, Dark Lord, Black Albert, and Beer Geek Brunch all solid beers in their own right.

K13 was released 3 months ago, one per person, brewery only, 260 bottles at $21 per. So I figure the higher sale price, and the fact that Murda'd is a one-off, would probably be a close 1:1 with K13. Doesn't seem unfair to me, though some may argue you could get rarer stuff with K13 and may have ammo in your cellar that can score Murda'd without giving up the K13 since Murda'd is less "rare".

At the end of the day it's just beer, not an equity investment. You're trading one excellent beer for another because you want to drink it, not because you're hoping that it appreciates in value so you can trade it for something else in the future. Which is why the real answer to life, the universe, and everything is 42.

13. sideshowe

sideshowe Initiate (0) Jun 20, 2008 Pennsylvania

Just to clarify, Black Raspberry Lambic was a low bottle count brewery only release which sold out that day.

14. Captiveodyssey

That helps a bit. My main concern wasn't if it would appreciate in value over time, but more so if it would be made again. I know murda'd won't, so I'd hate to trade it ++ for k13 and then have them remake k13 in a year or two. Your info was beneficial though, so thanks again bud.

15. Rhettroactive

Rhettroactive Pooh-Bah (2,225) Mar 28, 2009 Virginia
    Pooh-Bah Society

For what it's worth, I've had both beers, and I can easily say that in my opinion, Murda is a far better beer. Not sure if that actually helps (doubtful), but I seem to find K13 to be vastly overrated.

16. raveskdr

raveskdr Initiate (0) Oct 10, 2009 Virginia

+1. K13 was booooooooooooooozy. Good, but a real bourbon bomb.

17. Shilt

Shilt Initiate (0) Dec 26, 2011 Virginia

Have had both beers in the last month, and I think Murda'd has fallen off drastically from what it was fresh. K13 is boozy, but at this point is a better beer IMO. It's prolly fair 1:1, both are one offs, but I wouldn't personally give up my last K13 for a Murda'd. But as said above, trade good beer for good beer, especially one you want to try.

ncaudle likes this.
  18. Shilt

This isn't happening. Voodoo is out of Pappy barrels, and isn't likely to get any in the near future. K13 like Murda'd is a one off. Could both be brewed again in the future? Sure. But chances are, Murda'd would be made before K13 if anything.

19. Anonymous1

I'd say the chances of Voodoo sourcing another Pappy barrel, or even putting K13's base in another bourbon barrel is quite a bit higher than Surly, Mikeller, and De Struise all sending their base stouts to Munster, IN to be put into bourbon barrels for a year to make Murda'd Out.

JohnfromPurdue and raveskdr like this.
  20. Shilt

The base could be put in another barrel yes, but it wouldn't be K13. In talking with Curt, he was saying its very unlikely he will get his hands on another Pappy barrel. Voodoo is a pretty small operation compared to FFF. Hence my reasoning.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.