What is the worst price gouging / profiteering you've seen?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by SerialTicker, Jan 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tommysagblad

tommysagblad Initiate (0) Oct 6, 2011 Connecticut

The bar's cost is probably $2 a bottle. F that place.

2. hopley

hopley Pooh-Bah (2,608) Feb 24, 2010 Massachusetts
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

One of the Goose Island's bombers - Matilda or Lolita - or one of these - I saw in a liquor store in downtown Boston for $36. There was also another Goose Island in the $20 - $30 range. But at the same store they were selling BCBS for $6 / bottle which seems to be standard (and fair considering other craft beer prices and the ~15% ABV). This suggests to me that the $36 for that one bottle was the MSRP - but can not be sure about this - regardless, way out of my price range for a beer of any type (maybe with the exception of really high ABV Sam Adams' Utopias, etc.).

Consistent with other comments in this thread - I'm trying to not pay anything over $10 - $12 per bomber but do believe that if people continue paying outrageously high prices, then brewers and retailers will keep charging them. That is the capitalistic system we operate within, like it or not. So I'll just keep rebelling in my own way by not supporting those who charge such high prices - regardless of beer quality, brewer or retailer.

mxchap likes this.
  3. TheGator321

TheGator321 Initiate (0) May 29, 2013 Connecticut

Those Spencer, Ma. monks selling beer for 18/ 4-pk.

markdrinksbeer and Rekrule like this.
  4. WelshBrewer

WelshBrewer Initiate (0) Mar 17, 2013 Oregon

Highest I paid was $13 for a bottle of True Love from Crux, that was stiff, but then I bought (3) bottles of Bois from the Bruery for $30 a pop. IMHO it was worth it for the Bois. Some one said they wouldn't pay $30 for a bottle of wine? well I would which means I would pay $30 for a good bottle of beer. Mind you not always but I will do it.

Mapboy likes this.
  5. otispdriftwood

otispdriftwood Initiate (0) Dec 9, 2011 Colorado

I believe that's the going price, or at least in the neighborhood.

jrnyc and Providence like this.
  6. SerialTicker

SerialTicker Pooh-Bah (2,815) Jun 18, 2012 Michigan
    Pooh-Bah

That's really the only beer I saw on their menu that was way off the mark with pricing -- everything else is pretty fair for a bar. They have 300 bottled/canned beers with a nice tap selection, so I'd say one joke is fine.

They sell cans of Old Chub for $3.50, which is a steal in my opinion, considering it's a bar.

tommysagblad likes this.
  7. waddellc2

waddellc2 Savant (1,187) Aug 23, 2012 Pennsylvania

A case of Dogfish head 120 minute (Also WWS I believe, but not positive) is $220 at the actual brewery. Although expensive, $10 a bottle is selling it ALMOST at cost ($9.16 a bottle)

8. Crazy4LegMoose

Crazy4LegMoose Zealot (583) Jun 24, 2008 Massachusetts

Worst I have seen is a local Gastro Pub near my work and they want 16 for a bottle of Maine Peeper. Even worse they want 20 for a bottle of Maine's MO. They have a good selection and most beers aren't that outrageous but those two were crazy.

9. Rbartuska

Rbartuska Initiate (0) Jul 12, 2013 Illinois

Posts like this are irritating for those of us that manage bars. Our cost on a case of bcs is $101. Liquor stores pay the same. When people complain about $20 four packs in a store or $9 bottles in a bar, they need to do the proper math. Where did you get your $2 figure from? Cases of founders imperial, harvest ale, backwoods are $55. So you can't even get those for $2.

dedbeer, chrisinidaho, HRamz3 and 5 others like this.
  10. willbm3

willbm3 Initiate (0) Feb 19, 2010 Massachusetts

And at $20/4 pack, the store is hardly making any money

adamcarlson28 likes this.
  11. jesskidden

jesskidden Grand Pooh-Bah (3,071) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

That would be the case only if the brewery is selling it on-site at retail for the same price its distributors are selling it at wholesale to retailers (which, of course, is unlikely - since most breweries do not undercut their main market, their wholesale and retail customers).

12. rxeight

rxeight Initiate (0) Feb 5, 2012 Illinois

$35 for Proprietors, yes I paid it, because it was the first bottle I got (and at the time feared it might be the only).

13. dkrep

dkrep Initiate (0) Oct 4, 2013 Wisconsin

Local distributor told me they are getting DFH WWS at about $7.60~ per bottle, so to see it in stores at $8.99-9.99 is not too crazy. $18/bottle would be gouging.

14. KolbMarley

KolbMarley Initiate (0) Aug 7, 2013 Pennsylvania

Bombers get ridiculous around here(Lancaster, PA) and places around here that fill growlers make no sense price wise. I dont know that Ive ever divided the price of any 64oz. growler fill by 4(number of pints I'll get) and said "man, what a deal!"

15. hikanteki

hikanteki Crusader (405) Oct 11, 2013 California
    Trader

About 90% of everything in bars. :stuck_out_tongue:

KolbMarley likes this.
  16. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Initiate (0) Mar 18, 2010 California

Beverages4Less?

MrDave likes this.
  17. KolbMarley

KolbMarley Initiate (0) Aug 7, 2013 Pennsylvania

Bars, bottle shops and distributors don't get any sort of discount from the actual retail price on cases? And let's not forget tapped craft beer, basically a gold mine and don't attempt to convince me its not, especially these places with there 12, 10 and even 8 ounce pours

18. SupremePie

SupremePie Initiate (0) Sep 30, 2012 Vermont

$75 Grand Cru Bruoscella

19. RhyminBelmont

RhyminBelmont Initiate (0) May 14, 2013 Illinois

Non-variant Dark Lord 2011 for over $100 at a suburban bottle shop.

$50 for a 4-pack of BCBBW (for which i almost took the pinch :/ ). $40 for a Proprieter's at the same location.

$15 for a Hop Stoopid bomber at a bar in my Alma Mater's hometown.

20. ChrisMQ

ChrisMQ Initiate (0) Jun 30, 2010 New York

$100 for Fou Foune at a beer store (not a bar) in Brooklyn

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.