1. Trying to obtain a specific beer? Looking for a proxy or trustee? Tired of trading on other platforms? We've got you covered. Join our Beer Trading community to unlock this forum and new features! — Todd, Founder of BeerAdvocate

Inbox Floods and Culture Change

Discussion in 'Trade Talk' started by drummermattie02, Jan 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drummermattie02

drummermattie02 Initiate (0) May 10, 2009 Texas

I don't know whether this is appropriate, how long it will last, or if discourse like this is permissible. If not, apologies in advance. But it's frustrating when a perceived trading "culture change" is blamed for someone's own questionable actions.

We have all had a flooded inbox before as a result of posting an offer that is personally believed to be fair, but perceived by the community as being quite generous. But an ISO:FT post is not a tool to gauge the market value of your beer. Auctions are not permitted, and the effective reverse auction that occurs when someone re-posts asking for more or offering less should be equally frowned upon. If this is how someone chooses to handle their ISO:FT postings, so be it, but they have as much to do with that culture change as anyone.

2. imperialbeerdude

imperialbeerdude Initiate (0) Feb 5, 2012 Colorado

slow day at work?

StevenSpringer likes this.
  3. Photekut

Photekut Initiate (0) Mar 31, 2006 Tennessee

People do it because they do not get called out for it.

Why try to be reasonable if you are not held accountable for being an asshole?

cavedave, claaark13, pjl44 and 2 others like this.
  4. mythaeus

mythaeus Pooh-Bah (2,050) Jul 22, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Trader

I saw this happened a only few times (having been trading in only 6 months though), fell "victim" to the latest. There is a 3rd that started with a 1:1 only became 1:1++ an hour later after a bunch of comments. Still, I don't know if this qualifies as a change in the culture given the hundreds of trades happening each week. As more people voice discontent about such behavior, that practice would likely stay relatively insignificant...that's my sense and hope anyway.

5. drummermattie02

drummermattie02 Initiate (0) May 10, 2009 Texas

Just to be clear (since the threads are gone), my reference to culture change was because the trader tried to blame his actions on culture change and people trying to take advantage of one another. Basically the story went "[I had an inbox explosion, I know that everyone wants to take advantage of people around here now that the trading culture has changed, so re-posting a trade offering less than I initially did is acceptable. Because culture change.]"

6. mythaeus

mythaeus Pooh-Bah (2,050) Jul 22, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Trader

Oh I see. I didn't see that he said that. He did make another thread for the same trade without that explanation though :slight_smile:

7. pjl44

pjl44 Initiate (0) Oct 3, 2008 Massachusetts
    Deactivated

Depressing if that's what it's come to. If you find you overshot and get deluged with messages, my move would be to comb through them and find a vet and/or someone you recognize as being a solid contributor. Most people will want to expand (especially in this case where it was a 1:1 deal) and will likely repay your generosity. Someone who chooses to delete the trade offer and restructure in their favor is not someone I'd ever want to deal with. That sorta move tells me expanding is going to be a nightmare and I can expect a light box if we do manage to hammer something out.

8. imperialbeerdude

imperialbeerdude Initiate (0) Feb 5, 2012 Colorado

Give me a break a bunch of people who act like this is some huge issue are the same people that go in threads and yammer about how a beer isn't worth b beer and how beer from their region is better.

9. Photekut

Photekut Initiate (0) Mar 31, 2006 Tennessee

This thread strike a nerve?
    You seem to be very interested in it for some reason.

Nm, I get it.

BrettHead, ridglens, cavedave and 3 others like this.
  10. pjl44

Deactivated

Just the opposite, actually. The sort of people engaging in the nonsense you describe are the ones most likely to pull the rug out from under a bunch of others who responded to their trade offer.

11. CarolinaKevin

CarolinaKevin Initiate (0) Feb 28, 2010 North Carolina

12. huskermike12

huskermike12 Initiate (0) Nov 14, 2011 Vermont
    Deactivated

13. jrnyc

jrnyc Pooh-Bah (2,988) Mar 21, 2010 New York
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I totally agree with no auction posts but in reality most posts in essence are auction posts even if they are not meant to be. Posts that are not specific in exact beers and quantity basically result in inbox offers where the poster can take best "offer" or negotiate one. This is not a blatant auction but can turn out to be one behind the scenes.

cavedave, vurt and pjl44 like this.
  14. pjl44

Deactivated

I think the same thing when I see that. "FT: X ISO: Some combo of beers from this list"

vurt and huskermike12 like this.
  15. huskermike12

huskermike12 Initiate (0) Nov 14, 2011 Vermont
    Deactivated

I quit responding to anything that doesn't list a specific number. I'm in total agreement.

SkyBlueWaters, cavedave, Kelp and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.