Best Barrel Program, State by State

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by GreesyFizeek, Jan 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sefus12

sefus12 Pundit (884) Sep 7, 2006 Massachusetts
    Trader

This is one area my beloved Commonwealth has a bit of an advantage.... being in the middle of bourbon country gives great access to barrels. And no one is making better use of those barrels than Against the Grain in Louisville, KY. HANDS DOWN.

dataylor21 likes this.
  2. Loganyoung

Loganyoung Initiate (0) Jul 16, 2011 Georgia

Yeah burnt hickory and wrecking bar crossed my mind. I know 5 seasons playes around quite a bit with barrels also. Theres just not really any large well known breweries here with well known barrel programs.
    I've yet to have the BA drafty kilt but will keep an eye. and I believe terrapin did a extremely small amount of BA wake n bake. The porter had some last week I think.
    Btw I just drank a beard envy I got eairlier. Totally awesome stuff!

3. sefus12

sefus12 Pundit (884) Sep 7, 2006 Massachusetts
    Trader

Don't forget London Balling, their BBA English Barleywine. I'd put it up against most any BABWs in the country. It's THAT good.

4. twizzard

twizzard Pooh-Bah (2,080) May 11, 2013 New York
    Pooh-Bah Trader

aaaaaaand crickets from N.Y.

EnthusedAboutBeer likes this.
  5. dortenzio1991

dortenzio1991 Initiate (0) Aug 12, 2011 Connecticut

Guess they win by default. Havent had Redrum, but BA IST was quite tasty. Whats their competition? Two Roads Fake Rum Pumpkin Beer :stuck_out_tongue:

Bizoneill likes this.
  6. Reaper16

Reaper16 Initiate (0) Oct 3, 2008 Alabama

My two states are Missouri and Alabama.

I've not had the privilege of drinking a Side Project beer, but I would have to say based on reputation so far that they'd be #1 in Missouri. Which is insane, because Boulevard does great things with barrels. Side Project is far more ambitious of a barrel program however.

In Alabama, the only brewery putting out noteworthy barrel-aged beers is Straight to Ale. There are others working with barrels, but their output isn't up to snuff yet.

7. mattvandyk

mattvandyk Initiate (0) Apr 25, 2013 Michigan

Brooklyn (Black Ops)?

8. GreesyFizeek

GreesyFizeek Grand Pooh-Bah (5,512) Mar 6, 2013 New York
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

As I stated in my original post, Captain Lawrence is doing some great barrel stuff.

9. aasher

aasher Grand Pooh-Bah (4,471) Jan 27, 2010 Indiana
    Pooh-Bah

Let me stop you right there. Three Floyds is terrible at barrel aging. All of their sours have been a disaster. Yes the BA Dark Lords are good but they don't save the rest of the lot. BA Behemoth was the most disappointing beer of 2013 for me. I didn't see all of the hype between Murda'd Out either.

For me it's Upland followed by Flat 12. Upland's sours are what they are but their BA Barleywine is pretty damn good and BA TBK is much better than the original. Flat 12 does a ridiculous amount of one barrel batches that are often in your top five beers of a festival. Sun King is ok. Velvet Fog is the best beer they've done IMO and the Pappy Van Muckle was pretty spectacular. The other barrel aged offerings from them, namely the sours or the beers that accidentally went sour, have been a little disappointing.

ZachOfAllTrades likes this.
  10. dataylor21

dataylor21 Initiate (0) Sep 13, 2013 Kentucky

Haven't had it! I'll have to make a trip down next time its on tap.

11. ncaudle

ncaudle Initiate (0) May 28, 2010 Virginia

Odio Equum was distributed. I'm still sitting on 2 bottles from the half case I bought at my local shop here in VA. half of the barrel series they bottled aren't any good anymore (they may have been good/decent when supersuper-fresh but some of them took a nosedive)

#111 ncaudle, Jan 24, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2014
  12. aucanuck

aucanuck Crusader (411) Dec 18, 2010 Georgia
    Trader

I can't think of any Burnt Hickory stuff I've had that have been barrel aged. They make so many different beers it is hard to keep up. I have had a few of Wrecking Bar's barrel aged beers but none blew me away. They were all REALLY boozey.

13. tweezer159

tweezer159 Initiate (0) May 2, 2008 Alabama

Agreed! Blue Pants does some nice stuff as well. I guess Huntsville is the barrel-aging capital of Alabama.

14. TinCup69

TinCup69 Initiate (0) Jun 26, 2012 West Virginia

The only one I have had and it was pretty good was Bridge Brew Works Scot-Irish. Other then that there is absolutely nothing and it sucks.

15. GreesyFizeek

GreesyFizeek Grand Pooh-Bah (5,512) Mar 6, 2013 New York
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I haven't had any yet, unfortunately, but it would seem that the answer for Alaska is Anchorage Brewing Company. Goddamn does A Deal With the Devil sound incredible. I'm desperate to try Bitter Monk and Love Buzz as well.

16. bluewolf17

bluewolf17 Initiate (0) Mar 3, 2013 Maryland

Yes, I agree. Heavy Seas does some great stuff. But, our state still sucks for BA beers.

russpowell likes this.
  17. Ri0

Ri0 Initiate (0) Jul 1, 2012 Wisconsin

I'd say New Glarus comes very close. They have brewed close to a dozen barrel aged beers over many years since they take so long to age. Not stouts, but wild ales and Fladers Oud Bruins. We should start to see these more often with the fruit cave. WI is in pretty good shape with these two breweries.

Rand_ale_Thor and SeanBond like this.
  18. Xandrose

Xandrose Zealot (695) Jul 11, 2013 Maryland

True, but Heavy Seas is my vote. Just had BBA Siren Noire for the first time tonight and I was pleasantly surprised.

19. Premo88

Premo88 Grand Pooh-Bah (3,486) Jun 6, 2010 Texas
    Pooh-Bah Society

Karbach's F.U.N. series in Texas ... the 005, 006, 007, 008 ... all of it has been really good so far.

I've not had any barrel-aged Jester King yet, but I don't doubt it's potential. Everything (512) and Jester King that I have had so far has been fantastic.

texasalec likes this.
  20. drmcleod10

drmcleod10 Initiate (0) Oct 14, 2013 Missouri

Missouri is definitely Side Project and Perennial

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.