I heard a great PBR conversation today

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by black13, May 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. black13

black13 Initiate (0) Apr 11, 2010 Oregon

I work in a hospital and while walking the hall today heard a couple people talking about a bar in Portland that was recently renovated. This person was going on about how it was refurbished and how nice it was. I've been to this bar, and it's much nicer than it used to be, but nothing special. Anyway, the last thing I heard him say as I walked away was "and they even have Pabst Blue Ribbon on tap". I have nothing against BMC beers, but thought it was great that he had to say the words rather than just PBR. Must make it a better beer.

2. CMUbrew

CMUbrew Initiate (0) Jan 27, 2012 Michigan

I like Pabst Blue Ribbon

jRocco2021, Drew26, YogiBeer and 11 others like this.
  3. jcc0007

jcc0007 Initiate (0) May 4, 2010 Alabama

So you find it funny that he said Pabst Blue Ribbon instead of PBR, or that he liked that they had it on tap?

There is a bar I used to go to that had very good beer on tap, but they also used to have PBR on tap. They also had good bands on some weekends. When I was at that bar for a band, I would drink the PBR draft, because it was 1$ a pint. When I am there to see a band, and not to drink good beer, and I have already paid a cover, 1$ PBR pints were pretty damn awesome. No need to pay 7 bucks or more for a beer when I am only drinking it to get drunk and listen to music. If I came there on a night without a band, it would be a different story.

4. TongoRad

TongoRad Grand Pooh-Bah (3,848) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Ya know...Dennis Hopper never abbreviated it. "Heineken?!! Fuck that shit- Pabst Blue Ribbon!!!" Anyone who says PBR is just a freakin' poseur. Kinda what you're getting at, I guess...

5. JHamm

JHamm Initiate (0) Dec 8, 2009 Delaware

Somewhat like "Ya know" and "Kinda" and "freakin" right? lol (or laughing out loud). No, seriously, lol.

6. Geno78

Geno78 Initiate (0) Apr 1, 2010 Ohio

It did win a blue ribbon.

luwak, dachshunddude86, Mgm54 and 5 others like this.
  7. Crackerroll

Crackerroll Initiate (0) Jan 16, 2011 Missouri

I can remember drinking Pabst from a waxed paper cup at a great drinking bar (Kelly's in KC). The stuff always tore me up.

8. mjohnson17

mjohnson17 Initiate (0) Apr 29, 2012 Illinois

I find this thread amusing. Mostly because I just got back from a bar that had two 16 oz PBRs for $3. Of course I had to order them because the rest of the selection wasn't any better. Until then I haven't had Pabst's in years.

dachshunddude86 likes this.
  9. IceAce

IceAce Pooh-Bah (2,220) Jan 8, 2004 California
    Pooh-Bah Society

Just out of curiosity, what part of BMC is PBR?

(JessKidden, this is a rhetorical question so give me some space!)

beerFool28607 and Chaz like this.
  10. NEO68710

NEO68710 Crusader (479) Mar 6, 2006 Washington

I like Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) it tastes better than most American Adjunct Lagers and you can't beat the price. I say it both ways but mostly PBR because I've got no time to waste! :wink:

11. bobbidylan

bobbidylan Initiate (0) Jan 5, 2010 Florida

us from the south say PBR.it would be hard to call all the southern states beer drinkers poseurs? i like a PBR from now and than just like anybody else.we have bars doen here that sell it for a dollar a 16oz can..but it is funny to here people talk about how great the beer is.. let me tell you alot of people from the south still dont know what craft beer is..

12. Hanzo

Hanzo Initiate (0) Feb 27, 2012 Virginia

I thought as a member of this site we were required to use as many acronyms as possible, or has this policy changed?

13. chcfan

chcfan Initiate (0) Oct 29, 2008 California

I know what you're getting at and I'm pretty sure the answer is that "BMC" pretty much means "any adjunct lager made in the US" on BA these days. I prefer AAL unless specifically talking about the actual companies AB-Inbev and or Miller Cuurs, but I can't control what terms others use.

Bobator likes this.
  14. TongoRad

TongoRad Grand Pooh-Bah (3,848) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Nothing really meant by it, it was just a cheap excuse to get in a Blue Velvet reference. Sorry if I caused any offense.

15. LiquidTable

LiquidTable Initiate (0) May 3, 2011 Michigan

An important side note is that PBR is all malt-no corn or rice...it's actually true to the original recipe, as opposed to the rest of the "bmc" and retro beers (even Schlitz Gusto is more than 15% corn).

YogiBeer likes this.
  16. jesskidden

jesskidden Grand Pooh-Bah (3,071) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Better let Pabst know that- they think Miller uses corn syrup in the recipe...

The Pabst Blue Ribbon recipe isn't even the same one as the 1980's, much less the turn of the 20th century "Pabst Select" which evolved into the "Blue Ribbon" brand.

Schlitz "Gusto" claims only to be a recreation of the 1960's Schlitz recipe- it makes no claims of being all-malt, which very few US beers were at that time.

Bobator, tronester and Chaz like this.
  17. ChefBergo

ChefBergo Initiate (0) Nov 9, 2011 Illinois
    Deactivated

Don't really have anything against BMC drinkers but PBR always did tear up my stomach. If I want to feel like that again I'll eat a couple greasy-undercooked cheeseburgers and drink some stale milk. :astonished:

18. LiquidTable

LiquidTable Initiate (0) May 3, 2011 Michigan

Hmm...if this is the case, a lot of craft brewers who use pbr as a fallback will be bummed. I am interested in hearing more about this. Can you provide a link?
    And regarding Schlitz, maybe I just didn't expand enough on my thought. I have had many tell me that the new/old version is the "original" and all malt recipe. I am aware that's not the case. If I remember the competitors sellsheet I ripped off a few years back, I believe it was 84% malt for Schlitz, vs 71% for Bud. (again, those figures are approximated based on my memory...)
    :slight_smile:

19. MaxSpang

MaxSpang Initiate (0) Jan 28, 2011 Ohio
    Trader

You mean to tell me hipsters in Portland drink Pabst Blue Ribbon? No way!!

jRocco2021, OneBeertoRTA and Brew33 like this.
  20. Tut

Tut Initiate (0) Sep 23, 2004 New York

Anyone who drinks PBR is just a freakin' poseur.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.