Northern Lights Rare Beer Fest

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by igor, Jan 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lit202

lit202 Initiate (0) Feb 8, 2011 Minnesota

Not gonna lie, the list looks pretty darn attractive.

2. will1256

will1256 Initiate (0) Dec 4, 2010 Minnesota

If i'm understanding this post correctly, this is NOT a confirmed list of beers but speculation on what MAY be offered? Seems like this should be clarified as a post like this could be easily misconstrued.

psychotia likes this.
  3. Ol_Johnny_Skippelwicky

Ol_Johnny_Skippelwicky Initiate (0) Feb 13, 2013 Minnesota

Tickets go on sale in 1 hour

4. Cyclone8

Cyclone8 Initiate (0) Oct 19, 2011 Minnesota
    Trader

Yeah, Dude, I totally agree with will1256 above. I glanced at this, thought, "Holy cow, that's a great list!" Then I read your intro more carefully. This kind of hopeful/wishful speculation is not helpful, somebody just giving it a perfunctory glance could be really misled.

McRyan likes this.
  5. MNMike

MNMike Initiate (0) Dec 3, 2013 Minnesota

I apologize to everyone who doesn't know how to read

mjchapley likes this.
  6. SipIt

SipIt Zealot (735) Jul 18, 2013 Minnesota

Sorry dude, I know you didn't have any ill intentions, but when I read Surly Four on a beer list I don't see much else.

Anyhow, I'm giving this a whirl and got my ticket. I've spent $100 on a lot dumber things than this.

dzyneguru, copslovebeer and McRyan like this.
  7. will1256

I'm assuming based on your post above that you are involved with the festival, and i'll further assume that the intent of the speculative beer list was to drum up some ticket sales. I would say as someone considering attending the festival, posting dickish comments toward potential customers may not be the best marketing strategy.

That aside, my question is how speculative is this list? Given the uber-whale status that Surly Four has attained recently, suggesting that it *might* be there seems likely to result in some pissed off people if it turns out not to be true.

I know, I know, it's just beer. I agree, but some people get pretty worked up about this stuff.

McRyan likes this.
  8. sacrelicio

sacrelicio Pooh-Bah (1,826) Feb 15, 2005 Minnesota
    Pooh-Bah Society

Eh, you worded it confusingly. It sounded like you knew what you were talking about. I considered doing it but backed out when I realized it wasn't a legit list and others I know did too.

9. Cyclone8

Cyclone8 Initiate (0) Oct 19, 2011 Minnesota
    Trader

I did not get the impression that the guy has any association with the tasting whatsoever.
    Just a guy who decided to post his wish list, which is very eye-catching. And consequently misleading.

lonewolfcry likes this.
  10. XmnwildX12

XmnwildX12 Grand Pooh-Bah (3,066) Nov 12, 2010 Minnesota
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

That list ended up on someones Facebook, good thing someone let them know it wasn't the actual list, haha.

11. caskstrength

caskstrength Zealot (705) Nov 26, 2008 Minnesota

The idea of creating a "rare" beer fest and marketing the "rare" beers you'll have there, some of which are brewed just for this "rare" event rubs me the wrong way.
    I'm sick of rarity being a flavor.

#31 caskstrength, Feb 7, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2014
    brydeen and psychotia like this.
  12. XmnwildX12

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

And then they release it in their taproom the following week...

13. will1256

I was basing that on the usage of "we" in the post, interpreting that as "we the festival organizers" but now rereading I see how it might have been "we, the attendees". Either way, misleading.

14. lonewolfcry

lonewolfcry Pooh-Bah (1,982) Dec 7, 2007 Minnesota
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

MNMike is right...people just can't read - or read what they want to.

He was just stating he wished that some of those beers would make it to the festival...period
    It really wasn't misleading at all.

15. psychotia

psychotia Pundit (821) Jun 27, 2009 Wisconsin

They lost me at "rare" and made me laugh at "elite"

16. BeerGoogler

BeerGoogler Initiate (0) Jan 23, 2014 Minnesota

Whew now that all the typical stuff is out of the way...who's going to this? I know I'm in because why not.

17. SipIt

SipIt Zealot (735) Jul 18, 2013 Minnesota

While there's no Surly 4 on the lineup, I'm happy with these offerings...

#1 - 2010 Darkness
    #2 - 2011 Darkness
    #3 - Syx - Rumor has it that it may be barrel aged but no final confirmation yet!
    #4 - Asator Viking IPA - It was made for a concert a few weeks back and really only available at the Taproom

BeerGoogler likes this.
  18. XmnwildX12

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

No Surly One? I'm out!

SipIt and BeerGoogler like this.
  19. BeerGoogler

BeerGoogler Initiate (0) Jan 23, 2014 Minnesota

Well, I guess someone had to do this eventually. Here is the line-up – reported reported via their Facebook page – as of this morning (they keep releasing new ones periodically):

Surly Brewing

#1 - 2010 Darkness

#2 - 2011 Darkness

#3 - Syx – Rumored to be a barrel-aged version; although, that is unconfirmed

#4 - Asator Viking IPA

Stone Brewing (Steve Gonzalez – Research and Small Batch Manager and Treasurer at Master Brewers Association of Americas – is coming)

#1 - Cali-Belgique Aged in Red Wine Barrels

#2 - Barrel Aged Arrogant Bastard

Bemidji Brewing

#1 - German Gosé: 3.4% ABV, 6 IBU -- Brewed with a heavy dollop of wheat as well as coriander and sea salt, expect this gosé to be dry and refreshing. An eclectic session beer just in time for spring!

#2 - Sour Red: The newest blend out of the sour program up at BBC! This Flemish-style red ale has hints of caramel, stone fruits, and a bright, lactic acidity.

#3 - Brett Saison: A Belgian Saison aged with Brettanomyces Bruxellensis. Dry, crisp, and slightly funky; This Farmhouse Ale gains an earthy, fresh-hay character from extended aging on wild yeast

Grand Teton Brewing (Owners Steve and Ellen Furbacher are coming)

#1 - Barrell Aged Grand Saison - This beer took Silver at the 2012 Festival of Barrel Aged Beers in Chicago

#2 - Huckleberry Sour - Arguably the most sought after beer ever produced by GTBC, it is a Double White Ale aged with 65 lbs of local Huckleberries per barrel, Brettanomyces added, and aged for three years. "We have never entered it into a competition. But its badass" Says Chris Furbacher, son of owners Steve and Ellen

#3 - 2012 Oud Bruin - Oud Bruin was first brewed in 2007 and quickly became a brewery legend. fermented with a Flemish blend of yeast and bacteria cultures, including lactobacillus, pediococcus, and brettanomyces. It took six months at cellar temperature for the culture to achieve the style’s characteristic quenching sourness.

#4 - Barrel Aged Dopplebock

North Coast Brewing

#1 - 2011 Barrel-Aged Old Rasputin

Sierra Nevada Brewing

#1 - A special, Single Hop IPA

#2 – Weizenbock

Ommegang

#1 - A vintage Chocolate Indulgence

#2 – Prereleasing the next Game of Thrones beer at the event

Northbound Smokehouse & Brewpub

#1 - SPECIAL DOPPLEBOCK - A special treat made for this event specifically

#2 - Snownami Double Chocolate Raspberry Stout – “This beer speaks for itself, I like to call this CERTIFIED DELICIOUS”

Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery

#1 - Eye Wine- Its 10% Eye of the Storm Honey Ale well aged in a French Oak Red Wine barrel

#2 - Double Barreled Jack Frost- This Imperial Stout was first aged in an American Whiskey barrel and then in a French Oak Red Wine Barrel

#3 -The Phoenix- This beer symbolizes the rebirth of Town Hall Brewery after a lengthy remodel and expansion. This dark IPA accents caramel and chocolate malts and plenty of both American and English hops. SERVED ON NITROGEN

Lakefront Brewery* (Co-founder Jim Klisch is coming)

#1 - 25th Anniversary Imperial Stout Volume 1 - This has been tucked away for a couple years since its release and is sure to be aged to perfection

#2 - Volume 1 Aged in Rum Barrels - If this doesn't make you have an accident in your pants then I don't know what will! An Imperial Stout that is a couple years old and spent time in Rum Barrels for even more sweetness is going to be DY-NO-MITE!

#3 - Eastside Dark Lager Aged in Rum Barrels - The Roasted Malts, the clean lager yeast, and then sweeten that baby up with a rum barrel and you have this tasty treat

#4 - CHAD Barleywine - A special line of beers that don't normally make it to MN, but to top it off this beer is RETIRED!!! We are super lucky to have this one.

* An extra little teaser is that the barrel aged stuff is done in Great Lakes Distillery Roarin’ Dan Rum Barrels” – Northern Lights Rare Beer Fest, 2/5

August Schell Brewing (Jace Marti – sixth generation family member and head brewer – is coming)

#1 - CASK OF 1984 PILS - The classic recipe first used when the brewery first released Pils

#2 - CASK OF BAVARIA MANDARINA PILS - This is a new hop varietal coming out of Germany and sure to impress

#3 - CASK OF RYE PILS - Spicy and Sweet is the first thing that comes to mind, and I am sure this will stand out for sure

Boulevard Brewing (Jeremy Danner – brewer – is coming)

#1 - Foeder Projekt #1 - The beer that originally became FP #1 was originally brewed to be soured, aged, and used for blending. But the brewers found out that the beer was pretty good on its own. Aged 6 months in a Foeder, in that time it cultivated a healthy population of Lactic Acid and a bit of wild yeast. FUNK HEADS WILL LOVE THIS ONE!!!

#2 - One year old Barrel Aged Imperial Stout - A great beer in its own right, this beer is one year old and flavors will be further developed and is sure to be tasting great!

#3 - 2014 Rye-On-Rye - Aged in Templeton Rye Barrels is enough to get your mouth watering in its own right, but this Rye ale is fresh and ready to be drank!

Lagunitas Brewing

#1 – 2008 GnarleyWine

#2 – 2011 GnarleyWine

Tallgrass Brewing

#1 - Area 51 "Pool Party" - 100% Brett Session IPA. 3.8%abv and 50 IBU. This is sure to get you Sour Heads excited for Summer!

#2 - Kansas Gueuze Project - Which is a 100% secret that will be released at 8:15pm and it is another one of those sexy sour treats from Head Brewer Andrew Hood, who will be in the house that evening!

#3 - CASK of BIG RICCS - Cask Conditioned Russian Imperial Chocolate Coffee Stout on Oak

Fitger’s Brewhouse Brewery and Grille

#1- Starfire Reserve Pale Ale - For the first time they made a double version of this standard! Organizer, Mark has been jumping up and down over this one!!!

#2 - 1100 Wheatwine - Which is a wine strength Wheat Ale. aged 2 years to allow flavor development.

#3 - Bourbon Barrel Aged Beaver Bay Brown Ale - Aged in a Woodford Reserve barrel it has very nice vanilla notes and some oak from barrel aging, great flavor and finish.

We can add more as they announce, but I thought it'd be useful to see the complete list in one, easy-to-read, post.

McRyan likes this.
  20. jesseparker1

jesseparker1 Initiate (0) Sep 24, 2010 Minnesota

I like the looks of this!!!

BeerGoogler likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.