Pilsner Urquell in cans better?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by rebelguy, Mar 9, 2014.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Uniobrew31

Uniobrew31 Pooh-Bah (1,567) Jan 16, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah

The bottle's new packaging have made a world of difference in this beer. There has been no indication of light contamination in the last few cases I have bought. I would try cans if I could find them. Hopefuilly they make it my way soon!

2. LambicPentameter

LambicPentameter Initiate (0) Aug 29, 2012 Nebraska

Well, it's certainly better from the "giant can" (aka, on tap), so yes, I'd imagine it's better from the 12 oz variety as well.

3. steveh

steveh Grand Pooh-Bah (4,030) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah Society

Even better, 500 ml.

jesskidden and LambicPentameter like this.
  4. DubbelTrubbel

DubbelTrubbel Initiate (0) Nov 19, 2012 Georgia

YES
    They are delicious

5. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Grand High Pooh-Bah (6,772) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Pooh-Bah Society

Not the way it's packaged in bottles now. No threat from light...

utopiajane likes this.
  6. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Grand High Pooh-Bah (6,772) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Pooh-Bah Society

I had Budvar on draught in Vienna in 1968. The day I graduated from High School. Something about having a great beer at a beer garden, sun shining, the rest of my life to look forward to.

7. rebelguy

rebelguy Initiate (0) Nov 16, 2009 Rhode Island

I've never had a problem with Skunkiness as even before the new enclosed six packs I would always either buy the case or go get one from the back of the cooler that hadn't been hit by the light yet, do this with all green bottle beer.

8. rebelguy

rebelguy Initiate (0) Nov 16, 2009 Rhode Island

that is a great evaluation

9. bubseymour

bubseymour Grand Pooh-Bah (4,656) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Anyone try canned Warsteinner pilsner? I saw a 6 pack cans for $5.99. Seems like a no brainer to buy unless I'm missing something.

10. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Grand Pooh-Bah (3,181) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

Do you like Warsteiner Pilsner? If so, then it is a worthwhile purchase. I would strongly recommend that you confirm the canning date prior to purchase. The majority of the German brewed beers that I see at beer stores are not fresh.

Cheers!

11. Providence

Providence Pooh-Bah (2,628) Feb 24, 2010 Rhode Island
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

For all you Pilsner Urquell enthusiasts, what other beers do you think come closest to replicating it?

12. JMS1512

JMS1512 Initiate (0) Feb 18, 2013 New Jersey

I was in the black Forest of Germany, but I agree. The real "Bud" recipe....?

13. tfischl

tfischl Initiate (0) Dec 28, 2005 Indiana

I have had Pilsner Urquell in cans and it is great! Anyone know if this will be a regular canned beer or a special packaging for a short time?

14. Seanvino

Seanvino Devotee (375) Jan 5, 2009 California

I like Staropramen quite a bit but buy it only when I can get it fresh and out of a sealed case (green bottles).

15. herrburgess

herrburgess Grand Pooh-Bah (3,053) Nov 4, 2009 South Carolina
    Pooh-Bah Society

At its unpasteurized freshest, there is nothing else quite like it -- even in the Czech Republic.

16. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Grand Pooh-Bah (3,181) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

Jesse, I have been on the lookout for Pivovar Kout na Šumavě but I have not found it yet.

Shelton Brothers imports this beer:

Koutska 12

Pivovar Kout na Šumavě • Czech Republic

Kout na Sumavé, a small town in the Bohemian Forest near the German border, was a prosperous center for beer production until it’s local brewery was shut down in 1969. a local businessman bought the brewery building in 2003, took two years to clean and renovate it, and in 2006 brought in a master-brewer to create a new line of traditional Czech beers. The company has struggled to survive, but the undeniable integrity and quality of it’s products has gradually earned Kout followers and awards, in its home country and abroad.

Koutska 12º is the brewery’s flagship beer, and was named Czech “Lager of the Year” in 2010 (as almost all Czech beer is lager, let’s just say “best beer”). The 12º is an absolutely heavenly balance of rich, round, clean Czech malt and flowery, spicy Saaz hops- you’d be forgiven for not wanting to stop at one, or ten.

This is traditional Czech beer, made the old way-according to 200-year-old recipes-with it’s own well water and all-local barley and hops, using either double or triple decoction mash. It’s also open-fermented and unpasteurized-subsequently it has had to be shipped in cold containers, door-to-door, from Kout na Sumavé to Shelton Brothers, to preserve it’s unique quality as a “real lager”.

Style: Lager
    ABV: 5.0%
    Packaging: 20L kegs
    Brewer Website: http://www.pivovarkout.eu/

PJBScript, Providence and Gutes_Bier like this.
  17. Tilley4

Tilley4 Pooh-Bah (2,667) Nov 13, 2007 Tennessee
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Would love to pound some Urquell in cans this summer... if I could FIND them....

PJBScript likes this.
  18. herrburgess

herrburgess Grand Pooh-Bah (3,053) Nov 4, 2009 South Carolina
    Pooh-Bah Society

Unfortunately I have yet to try the Kout na Šumavě either (brewery in its current incarnation was reopened in 2006, IIRC, after I had moved back from Germany). Jack's correct that it sounds similar to PU in its ideal condition/form. If anyone reading this has had it, please chime in. Stuff sounds heavenly.

19. diesel59

diesel59 Initiate (0) Jan 3, 2012 New York

Ill have to pick up a 4 pack

20. bubseymour

bubseymour Grand Pooh-Bah (4,656) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Yes I did enjoy the Warsteiner Pils in bottles previously. Gave it a 4.25 review which is a solid decent beer rating for me. So I'm guessing if the cans are still pretty fresh, it may be similar to the discussion of Urquell cans improved taste over bottle since both are Euro imports. For $5.99 sale price even if not perfectly fresh its priced as a BMC product so its a rare find and worth it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.