Top 5 Beer Shops in your area

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by HoppySeb, Mar 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ozzylizard

Ozzylizard Grand Pooh-Bah (5,825) Oct 5, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Thanx! I'll be in Albuquerque in early April diligently hunting beer.

#81 Ozzylizard, Mar 19, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2014
    ONovoMexicano likes this.
  2. sefus12

sefus12 Pundit (884) Sep 7, 2006 Massachusetts
    Trader

Have to add Liquor Barn in Springhurst to this list. Their tap wall alone is worth the trip. I also believe that Old Town in the Highlands is a better spot than the Wine Rack. Regardless, plenty of good spots to pick up beer in the Louisville area.

fleurdelou likes this.
  3. spicoli00

spicoli00 Pooh-Bah (2,231) Jul 6, 2005 Indiana
    Pooh-Bah Society

Is there anything decent on the West side of town? preferably off of 70.

4. carolinabeerguy

carolinabeerguy Pooh-Bah (1,931) Oct 10, 2005 North Carolina
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Fort Myers, Florida:

1. Total Wine
    2. Publix
    3. Target
    4. 7-Eleven
    5. Fresh Market

5. FlakyBiscuit

FlakyBiscuit Initiate (0) Sep 11, 2012 Pennsylvania

The aforementioned are all good places. Some Giant Eagle's are way better than others (Market District in Robinson - YES; Market District in Wexford - MEH). I am north of Pittsburgh so I am going to add Whole Foods in Wexford (great selection, prices, taps, and, a quaint little bar/pub), and, Vintage Estates in Youngstown, OH (45 min from Pittsburgh but the best place I have been to).

robgage and chuckv like this.
  6. KornWallace

KornWallace Initiate (0) Dec 1, 2011 New York

Just spent a couple days in Brooklyn looking at bottle shops so I thought I'd give this a go in no particular order:

-Eagle Provisions- They have the biggest selection I saw (Including Cantillions ranging in price from $50-100) with something from nearly every state. Their issue is that they have a lot of old beers. Just make sure to check the date before purchasing a beer. A little pricey.
    -Brouwerij Lane- As the name implies they have a very nice selection of Belgian beers plus a lot of stuff you might be hard pressed to find elsewhere. They also have some amazing stuff on tap.
    -Bierkraft- They are the jack of all trades beer shop. They have a decent selection, a nice sandwich shop, and they are going to start brewing their own stuff sometime in the near future.
    -Hops and Hocks- This store had the most interesting pairing as a beer/market in that they chose to pair the beer with fine hams. When I was they they had a leg of Ibiza ham. It was amazing. What I appreciated about the store was that they had a number of Spanish beers to go with the hams.
    -Breukelen Bier Merchants- I haven't been able to make it yet but everyone I spoke to in Brooklyn said this was a must do. It will be my next stop.

Kanger likes this.
  7. beerwolf72

beerwolf72 Savant (1,094) Aug 12, 2006 Ohio
    Trader

Cincinnati area:
    Cappy's
    Dutch's
    Jungle Jim's
    Party source
    Lots of other solid choices, but those are always worth a visit.

Spinach937 likes this.
  8. weltywm

weltywm Zealot (590) Jul 27, 2012 Pennsylvania

Sorry if someone has already posted Philly. In no particular order:

1) The Foodery
    2) Hawthornes (unfortunately, it just burned down)
    3) Brew
    4) Bella Vista
    5) Total Wine (in New Jersey, but a decent selection, and it doesn't have those Philly prices)

ThePaintedGrey likes this.
  9. Kanger

Kanger Initiate (0) Sep 3, 2013 New York

My Choices for NYC would be:

Breukelen Bier Merchants
    Brouwerij Lane
    Bed-Stuy Beer Works
    Good Beer
    Bierkraft
    Hops and Hocks

ONovoMexicano likes this.
  10. TheGator321

TheGator321 Initiate (0) May 29, 2013 Connecticut

no love for The Big CT? here it is.

Coastal wines and liquors - Branford, CT
    Amity discount wines and liquors - Woodbridge, CT. (just over the border from new haven)
    CT Bev Max. multiple locations.

the good thing about being in a little state is that I can hop over state borders and obtain out of my distribution beers. deciccos in NY is about 45 mins to 1 hour away. also, places like table and vine in Springfield, Mass. and Yankee spirits near treehouse brewing (i always forget the town) are right over the border as well. so I have access to all the NY and Mass stuff plus NY gets almost everything in from cigar city to bell's. So the bottom line is if you live in CT you should have relatively easy access to all NY, CT and Mass beers. plus VT is 3 hours to the border. :wink:

11. TheBeerBro

TheBeerBro Initiate (0) Sep 10, 2013 Iowa

I was going to say, all these North Side Chicagoans have no clue. Kenwood Liquors is still the best liquor store I've been to. Period. Prices, selection, and store layout are all supurb. Plus, no crook county taxes.

Anytime I'm in Chicago, I always make a stop.

12. hopley

hopley Pooh-Bah (2,608) Feb 24, 2010 Massachusetts
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

This is a spectacular idea - I do the same thing all the time and recently did it for El Vieques, a small island off the coast of Puerto Rico...not that it's a big city and needless to say, there wasn't a lot there, but through my research I was able to find North Coast and Bell's offered at one bar which I ended up frequenting...and this is in an island where most people are drinking Medalla Light, a few regular mainstream beers like Stella Artois and Heineken and, at best, Sam Adams.

#92 hopley, Mar 19, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2014
  13. fleurdelou

fleurdelou Initiate (0) Nov 11, 2013 Kentucky

Both very good additions. The Liquor Barn on Shelbyville Rd. is a steady go-to for sure as well.

14. anticipation23

anticipation23 Initiate (0) May 2, 2013 Wisconsin

I'd have to disagree, mine would go;

Jenifer Street Market
    Riley's
    Alpine Liquors
    Trixie's
    Woodman's/HyVee

Rilesmiles likes this.
  15. johnyb

johnyb Pooh-Bah (2,272) Aug 11, 2012 Florida
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

ouch

16. rozzom

rozzom Pooh-Bah (2,534) Jan 22, 2011 New York
    Pooh-Bah Trader

NYC (based on where I spend my money, rather than which store I would go to the most if distance wasn't an issue):

WF Bowery
    Bierkraft
    Top Hops
    WF Tribeca/Brooklyn
    Good Beer

Bustersuess likes this.
  17. Hopgoddess312

Hopgoddess312 Pundit (868) Jan 17, 2014 Colorado
    Trader

I second Bottles and Cans and Fischman's (they have a delightfully divy bar adjacent to the store that is always pouring good stuff!). I'd add Plum Market, 1233 N. Wells (Old Town neighborhood) to this list and The Poison Cup, 1128 W. Armitage, a tiny wine shop but with a very good and always changing stock of Pipeworks.

18. jasoncheb

jasoncheb Initiate (0) Nov 23, 2012 Virginia

Southside Hampton Roads, VA
    1. Grape and Gourmet
    2. Let's Talk Wine
    3. Total Wine VB
    4. Total Wine Chesapeake
    5. Whole Foods VB

Maltytasker, KalH and Ysgard like this.
  19. Hopgoddess312

Hopgoddess312 Pundit (868) Jan 17, 2014 Colorado
    Trader

Oh, and I forgot to add Maria's in Bridgeport, 960 W. 31st street, not everything good is on the north side!

20. sefus12

sefus12 Pundit (884) Sep 7, 2006 Massachusetts
    Trader

Agreed. I'm only there once or twice a week :slight_smile:

fleurdelou likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.