1. Stop lurking! Log in to search, post in our forums, review beers, see fewer ads, and more. — Todd, Founder of BeerAdvocate

Top 5 Beer Shops in your area

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by HoppySeb, Mar 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Preluderl

Preluderl Pooh-Bah (1,710) Sep 27, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Trader

As far as the Giant Eagles are concerned, the two best ones are Market District Robinson and then the normal GE in Shaler.

Wexford is very underwhelming as is Pine Plaza in the north.

Is Vintage Estates really worth the trek up to Youngstown? I've never been, but I drive 45 minutes out to House of 1,000 Beers fairly frequently.

FlakyBiscuit and randylangford like this.
  2. sjjn

sjjn Pundit (828) Jun 4, 2004 California

In my area (NYC) that haven't been mentioned, I'd say:

C-Town Astoria
    Foodtown of Harlem
    Foodtown Express Yonkers
    Beer City Deer Park
    Bellport Beer and Soda

3. Mattco

Mattco Initiate (0) Jun 5, 2011 Illinois

If you ever find yourself 5 hours straight south of Chicago on Int 57 in Marion, IL (not that you would):

Speakeasy Liquors in Marion
    Speakeasy Liquors in Herrin, IL
    Schnucks in Carbondale, IL
    Picks Liquors in Carbondale, IL
    My House

4. JD_Bogerdy

JD_Bogerdy Initiate (0) Jan 12, 2013 Florida

BX Beer Depot over due south. I have my issues with them, but it's still a much better selection that Due South

5. LODGE4

LODGE4 Initiate (0) Dec 12, 2012 Florida

http://www.syossetbeverage.com/

6. PackPride

PackPride Initiate (0) Oct 31, 2011 North Carolina

Raleigh, North Carolina:

Bottle Revolution
    Tasty Beverage
    Paddy O'Beers
    Bottle Mixx
    Peace Street Market

7. Ysgard

Ysgard Zealot (665) Mar 5, 2008 Virginia

For Columbus, the only place I know of (and I haven't been for a few years) is The Andersons. There is one East right off 70 (I think this is the one I have been to) and there is one near Dublin. Both have tonnes of bottles.

spicoli00 likes this.
  8. CraftFan5

CraftFan5 Pooh-Bah (2,190) May 14, 2013 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I spend most of my time in Manhattan/Brooklyn (been a few lists for that), but I live in the Bronx, so I'll give 2 lists:

NYC:
    1. Eagle Provisions - as mentioned above, plenty of rare things there. I doubt I would drop $100 on a 375 ml Cantillon or $75 for Westy, but I did get a 750 ml Schaerbeekse Kriek there for $43. And an Anchorage Love Buzz for $19. You need to go there looking for rarities; no reason to go there for regular shelf beer.
    2. New Beer Distributors - almost a ditto, except MUCH cheaper. This is probably the cheapest beer store in the NYC area, and you can always break 4s and 6s. They occasionally have rarities as well, like Cascade. Last week they still had dozens of 6ers of Hopslam.
    3. Good Beer - Probably has the best growler fill list consistently. For example, right now they're filling JP Fuego del Otono. Even got HF Everett one time. Bottle selection is slightly above average.
    4. Whole Foods Bowery/TriBeCa - Also have great growler fills and decent prices on bottles. Last week I filled a Westbrook Orange Bliss at TriBeCa.
    5. American Beer Distribution Co. - Expensive and very poorly organized, the only reason it's on this list is that they are the NY distributor for Hair of the Dog.

Westchester:
    1. Port Chester Beer Distributor - Aisle after aisle of beer. Prices are good, selection is outstanding, and there's a high incidence of shelf turds. I once found a Midnight Sun Arctic Devil months after release.
    2. DeCicco Ardsley - Great growler fills and very nice selection. You see 3F there consistently. Beer guy is chatty and is happy to let you know when a limited release is on the way. I should check in with him re: KBS.
    3. DeCicco Harrison - Strangely, a much different layout than Ardsley. Ardsley has supermarket style shelves, whereas Harrison has a whole aisle of coolers. Got JA Kiwi Rising and Midnight Sun Berserker there.
    4. Beer Necessities - Nice little shop, a bit on the expensive side, but the guys there are always drinking and talking about beer. Excellent growler selection as well - they might still have BCBBW on tap.

KornWallace likes this.
  9. swfeidt

swfeidt Initiate (0) Jul 14, 2012 Pennsylvania

Harrisburg, PA area

1. Breski Beverage (cases) great selection, employee's who know beer, cases to not collect dust on shelf resulting in fresh beer
    2. Westy's (Cases) biggest selection in the area, but never sure how long cases are on the shelf, staff not as friendly
    3. Al's of Hampden (sixer and growler fill) 100 beers on tap including their own pizza boy brewing, nice selection of six packs, twelve packs, and bombers. Really good pizza and subs.

10. Storm21

Storm21 Initiate (0) Oct 15, 2013 Ohio

Toledo, OH Area

The Andersons
    Marino's Beverage Depot
    Joseph's Beverage Center
    Liquor Cabinet-just over the border in Michigan.
    Maumee Bay Brewing

ODYSEYY likes this.
  11. southdenverhoo

southdenverhoo Maven (1,363) Aug 13, 2004 Colorado

Denver is tough because so many, and so many BAs work in one! not trying to piss any of them off, I'll just do 5 close to me; 3 of these (3-5) are in fact walking distance from my crib, and the other two, the first two on my list, are a 10 minute drive and a 7 minute drive, in city traffic (i.e. less than 25 mph, multiple lights, congestion), respectively.

1. Grapevine Liquors
    2. Mayfair Liquors
    3. Joy Wine & Spirits
    4. Argonaut
    5. Hugo's

in no way does this reflect on the stores who employ frequent posters on the Mountain forum--they are all great but I never or extremely rarely get into any of them. Total Beverage, Mr. B's, Tipsy's, Mile High, Mondo Vino, Davidsons, Daveco, Applejack et al would all be justifiably on other folks' Denver lists, depending on where in the city they live...Colorado Liquor Mart, Bonnie Brae liquors, the list goes on and on, of stores with serious craft beer programs.

12. charlzm

charlzm Initiate (0) Sep 3, 2007 California

Here's a specific one: The San Fernando Valley

In this 260 square miles and in no specific order:

1. Vendome: Toluca Lake
    2. Liquid Wine and Spirits: Chatsworth
    3. Valley Beverage Company: Sherman Oaks
    4. The Green Jug: Woodland Hills
    5. Mission Wine and Spirits: Sherman Oaks

An honorable mention to the Van Nuys BevMo - they have a good crew in the beer department. They hold special releases in the back and wait for people to ask for them rather than putting them on the shelf. I appreciate this.

The Total Wine in Northridge often has things I am looking for at good prices, but I do not visit often.

Apologies if I have forgotten any place outstanding.

13. MassiveBeerReviews

MassiveBeerReviews Crusader (402) Apr 12, 2012 New Jersey

I've traveled far and wide and while some places have "more" beer, Sabatini's is by far one of the most eclectic/aged beer spots I've ever been too, soooooooo much goodness.

Loathe Krugels with a passion though. I live about two minutes from them and want to love them (and did at one point) but their blatant price gouging and rudeness has had them see the last of my hard earned money.

J&H Beer is a absolutely fantastic joint. The crew there is super friendly and will bend over backwards to get something you're looking for.

190's kinda "meh" for me. I think ACE beverage owns them, so I believe they only stock whatever ACE distributes, I could be wrong though.

God, I haven't been to Plaza Beverage in ages, since i lived in Pittston. I remember them having a few good things back then, I'll have to give them a go next time I'm on the bypass.

If you have never been to Pikes Creek Beverage in Lehman (in the back mountain) give them a look. It's out there, but well work the trip. I yanked two cases of 1997 Sam Adams Triple Bock out of there only a month or two ago, super secret dank beer spot.

Goldndomer likes this.
  14. SpartyJoe

SpartyJoe Initiate (0) Nov 30, 2013 Colorado

How am I just now hearing about Save On? Looks awesome. Guess I know where I'm heading this weekend!

15. BJRHOMEBREW

BJRHOMEBREW Initiate (0) Dec 18, 2008 Ohio

No particular order (Findlay, Ohio) Although it would be easier to just look at beer fly.

Great Scott (Broad Ave.)
    Wolfie's
    The Wine Merchant
    We live in Findlay so no number 4
    We live in Findlay so no number 5

16. terence

terence Initiate (0) Mar 18, 2012 California

Another great thing about Berkeley Bowl is that you are able to purchase singles from their six packs. Most all of their beers are in the coolers.

Beer Revolution has a nice outdoor seating area, it is a great place to hang with like minded people. They are also close to the Trappist and the Linden Street Brewery.

Healthy Spirits and Ales Unlimited have very friendly staff and solid selections. City Beer has it share of SF hipters and is located near a few good restaurants.

17. mnredsoxfan69

mnredsoxfan69 Initiate (0) Dec 27, 2013 Minnesota

It's been about 17 years since I moved away, but I recall there being a couple places in Camden that were fairly decent at the time, the Market Basket on US 1 (actually Rockport, maybe?) and another one down on Bayview Street whose name I don't remember.

18. Boverhof3

Boverhof3 Initiate (0) Dec 25, 2006 Michigan

Here are the places I go in Grand Rapids, Michigan to find unique and rare beers

1.Siciliano's Market - They got a great selection and knowledgeable staff. If its available in Michigan, they got it.

2.Bellavinos Fine Wine & Spirits on Plainfield AVE. - This place has a great selection, always up to date with new releasese and reasonable prices.

3.International Beverage on East Paris - BY Far the FRIENDLIEST staff in town. They will help you pick out what you are looking for. Selection is solid. Can't wait til they open the new site on 28th St.

4.Ric's Food Center - Rockford,MI -6767 Belding Rd NE -If you live in West Michigan, GO THERE! Trust Me. I always amazing me that a chain grocery off the beaten path can have such a massive beer selection. This place is amazing!

5.Knapp’sCornerMeijer - A step above most local Meijers. You can buy bottles buy the singles. Great Meijer Prices.

19. FlakyBiscuit

FlakyBiscuit Initiate (0) Sep 11, 2012 Pennsylvania

To me, the trek is worth it. They have great drafts and pizza. I ordered a pie, took my draft from the bar and then shopped. It is one of those places where looking around closely can pay off. There always seems to be new stuff being put on the shelves and some unexpected stuff still on the shelves.

20. Preluderl

Preluderl Pooh-Bah (1,710) Sep 27, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Trader

Cool, thanks for the info. I'll have to check it out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.