1. Trying to obtain a specific beer? Looking for a proxy or trustee? Tired of trading on other platforms? We've got you covered. Join our Beer Trading community to unlock this forum and new features! — Todd, Founder of BeerAdvocate

Newbie: Am I ready for my first trade?

Discussion in 'Trade Talk' started by cal_golden_beer, Apr 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cal_golden_beer

cal_golden_beer Aspirant (290) Feb 27, 2014 California
    Trader

Hey all,

I'm fairly new to the BA community and I've got to say that I'm loving it so far. With that said, I apologize in advance if I say something silly or unintentionally offend you.

Anyway, I'd really like to give beer trading a try and see if it is right for me. I've done some research on these forums and I'm hoping you can fill gaps in my knowledge and provide sage advice for a first timer.

I've tried to aggregate my research in hopes of giving back to the community, mainly other new traders looking for a good starting point for their research.

First off, I've read the great AleWatcher blog post:
    http://alewatcher.blogspot.com/2010/11/new-trader-tips.html

and studied http://www.seekabrew.com/distro/index.html

Here are some key principles that I've taken to heart:
    - Have fun and enjoy it
    - Winning the trade means pleasing your trading partner as the first objections (your desires come secondary). Trade with others as you would want to be traded with. Good beer trading karma will pay you back many times over.
    - Maintain clear, constant communication
    - Pack the beer well in a box and then pack the box in another heavily padded box.
    - I'll ship first (because I'm new)
    - Throw in nice extras
    - Start small and simple: dollar for dollar and locals for locals. Find something that is easy for me to get and something that is easy for my partner to get
    - Start with 1 trade at a time

Questions:
    - What is a good dollar amount to start with? I was thinking $25, but is that too little to make it worth it?
    - I live in SF, Ca so I can get most CA beers. What would you suggest as a first trade? I was thinking about offer up 2 Russian River sours (Supplication and Consecration) for some Heady Topper or 3 Floyds
    - Instead of looking for specific beers, do people ever look for a good trading partner? Like I'm looking for someone in the Midwest or east coast to trade with twice a year. Or does that kind of happen organically after you find someone that likes dealing with you?
    - Am I missing anything from the basics? Any tips or notes on the finer points of etiquette?

Background about myself in case it matters:
    I've been enjoying craft beer, mainly CA and Belgium beer, for several years. I'm ashamed to say but I knew little about beer outside of CA and knew nothing about trading. During SF beer week this year, I chatted up a complete stranger from the east coast that opened my eyes to beer outside of CA and the idea of beer trading.

I'm mainly interested in beer trading to explore a whole new world of beers that I've never had or even knew about. To me, it is like discovering craft beer all over again and is a very exciting prospect.

So what do you think? Please let me know if you think I'm ready for my first trade or if I need to education myself a little more.

Thanks in advance

2. lowbit

lowbit Initiate (0) Jul 24, 2013 Wisconsin

You're ready. Just the fact that you've done your homework and put that much thought into it puts you significantly ahead of a good portion of the active traders.

3. markgugs

markgugs Initiate (0) Dec 20, 2006 New Jersey

You're already my new favorite BA'er. Welcome (to the darkside...)

4. bahnfire

bahnfire Initiate (0) Jan 17, 2011 Vermont

^This

In my experience this happens organically. I see post every now and again where folks are looking for trading partners to do regular trades with (quarterly, monthly, etc), but those are a bit of a turn off to me. I'm not going to agree to send someone beers on the regular without first having a positive experience trading with them.

If you are looking to do a trade for some Heady feel free to BM me. My first trade was with a generous chap from Cali (@No1Smitty) and I'd love to pay it forward.

Edit: Also, upload an avatar.

Skunkdrool and markgugs like this.
  5. pdmoore714

pdmoore714 Pundit (880) Dec 26, 2013 California
    Trader

One thing that got me was the sticker-shock on shipping prices. You definitely want to set up an on-line account with FedEx or UPS and may want to price out some sample box sizes and weights to get an idea of what you're in for (example, 14x14x14 inch box at 25 pounds heading to mid-west or east coast).

Also, from California always try to ship on Monday - UPS ground generally will get to the east coast by that Friday. I innocently dropped my first box off on a Friday evening and it sat at the UPS Store all weekend before heading out Monday.

6. nicks6217

nicks6217 Initiate (0) Jan 15, 2010 California

Aim for about a $40 local for local trade, heady topper and such is a bit more difficult to trade for so keep the locals open ended. Offer up the locals you can generally get with ease ie, almanac, Adairius, RR, firestone deschutes etc.

Remember when shipping that the weight of the box has little to do with cost. When shipping you are paying for cargo space so find a box that's appropriate for the trade size.

Greywulfken likes this.
  7. cal_golden_beer

Trader

First off, thanks to all for the kind words of encouragement

Excellent tips:
    Thankfully, I recently sold some heavy yet breakable items on ebay and shipped them via fedex. I used it as a practice run for setting up a shipping account, packing beer and shipping it. It was a ~16in cube box weighing ~20lbs. It actually came out cheaper than I thought so I'm over the sticker shock. I shipped out on Monday but it didn't get to Maryland until the next Monday. I'll double check to see if I can get a Friday delivery date next time.

Thanks

8. cal_golden_beer

Trader

I was going to keep it small because it is my first trade. I already have 2 bottles of RR sours at home (~$25) so I was going to start with that as the initial offer. I figured that's even easier than going out to get anything and I know I already have it in my possession. I could say in the post that I'd prefer to keep it at $25 out of ease but I'm happy to increase the dollar amount by adding some almanac or locals that the trading partner is interested in. I'll list out a few beers that I'm pretty confident I can get.

Thanks for the tips on size of shipping container. I didn't realize that.

9. Stevedore

Stevedore Grand Pooh-Bah (5,072) Nov 16, 2012 Oregon
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

You did your homework, already have some beers in mind FT, and specific breweries in mind for ISO. You're ready.

10. No1Smitty

No1Smitty Initiate (0) Nov 7, 2011 California

@bahnfire thanks for the shout out ! When you are generous all seems to be payed forward. I wouldn't do it specifically for that reason. That's just the way I am. Karma does exist.

11. markgugs

markgugs Initiate (0) Dec 20, 2006 New Jersey

@cal_golden_beer I just want to say I'll trade with you any time you want (you'll still ship first though :wink:)

Greywulfken, cfh64 and creepinjeeper like this.
  12. Pelican5

Pelican5 Initiate (0) Feb 4, 2012 California

This is how its done. Great job OP, wish everyone started out with this much research. Perfectly stated "Winning the trade means pleasing your trading partner as the first objections (your desires come secondary). Trade with others as you would want to be traded with. Good beer trading karma will pay you back many times over."

I'd do a trade with you to get you going but im from Santa Barbara and overlap with a lot of the same access. Start small and let the good times roll my friend.

Cheers

cfh64 and creepinjeeper like this.
  13. JamesShoemaker

JamesShoemaker Initiate (0) Sep 21, 2012 Michigan

Nice to see this for sure. GL OP.

creepinjeeper likes this.
  14. black13

black13 Initiate (0) Apr 11, 2010 Oregon

This post needs to be sticky noted to the top of the trading forum.....and be a required read for all new traders.

Well done OP. You've done your work, now come the rewards. Have fun!

15. creepinjeeper

creepinjeeper Initiate (0) Nov 8, 2012 Missouri

Welcome to wonderful world of trading! It seems that you've done your homework and are ready to have your porch crushed. Be advised: there are truly, insanely generous BA's out there. One, in particular, @skinsfan , gave me my first opportunity to trade. It's been awesome! You'll find that beer karma has no limits. I'll be happy to trade with you sometime. Have fun, good luck and cheers!

16. F2brewers

F2brewers Maven (1,378) Mar 12, 2005 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

Cleaned up a bit of a mess in this thread that was wrecking what is otherwise *very* nice to see.

Leaving it open for now so long as it stays on-topic and positive.

17. KingTelephone

KingTelephone Initiate (0) Feb 18, 2014 Michigan

Really happy to see someone else like me... I am in Michigan, looking to find a trading partner in CA (probably a medium sized order every 3 months or so). I can get Founders and Bells pretty easily, so I'm hoping to turn those into RRs or anything sour that I can't get here. I'm still in the research phase though. Your links in the first post couldn't have come at a better time.

Can you update this thread and let us know how your first trades go?

18. cal_golden_beer

Trader

And we're off!

I took the next step on this exciting journey and I posted my first ISO/FT post:
    http://www.beeradvocate.com/communi...t-rr-sours-pliny-almanac-fw-ca-locals.167969/

I will post updates throughout the process. At the moment, I'm very anxious to see what kind of responses I get.

To all those that offered to trade with me, I thank you for your generosity. Please see the trade offer post above for more details.

Thanks to all that provided helpful info and words on encouragement. It has been fun already and that was one of my goals/rules. I just hope that I don't get addicted (or at least keep it to a moderate addiction).

Pelican5 and JamesShoemaker like this.
  19. Pelican5

Pelican5 Initiate (0) Feb 4, 2012 California

addicted in 3... 2.... 1...

Greywulfken and creepinjeeper like this.
  20. cal_golden_beer

Trader

Kind citizens,

I'm proud to announce a few updates.

I've shipped my first box.

Within 24 hours, I received 10+ trade offers. So many kind people, so many kind offers. I picked a partner that seemed like he knew what he was doing, could walk me through the process, was patient and communicated well. The generosity of this community is refreshing and inviting.

So I packed up my beer like I was boxing my 6 month old baby and I was going to play soccer with box. The entire time I was packing, I couldn't help geeking out; I kept thinking how nice it would be to open up the box on the other end and find the wonderful beer inside.

Kindness from strangers (or should I say "soon to be friends") is awesome. The BA community exemplifies this.

Happily addicted

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.