Your "white whale"?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by NoSignsOfPain, Oct 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. More_betterness

More_betterness Initiate (0) Nov 18, 2013 California

A growler of any HF ipa.. Have had the pleasure of trying a few of their rarer beers like juicy but have yet to try any of their hoppy offerings after multiple ISOs! Every review I've read sounds unreal.

2. Jips

Jips Initiate (0) Nov 29, 2007 Illinois

Bo and Luke, just missed the boat on it so many times

3. shacawgo24

shacawgo24 Initiate (0) Jun 11, 2013 Illinois

Heady Topper

4. Quickicks

Quickicks Initiate (0) Aug 26, 2013 North Carolina

If you want some Olde Meck thats an easy fix.

5. JeremyDanner

JeremyDanner Zealot (679) Dec 20, 2005 Missouri

Love Child No. 1 was never released for distribution. We had such a small amount of it that we shared it at beer fests, dinners, and tastings. At this point, the beer is probably quite long in the tooth and not a great example of what we had originally intended it to be. I wouldn't be too bummed. Love Child No. 4 is due out in a few weeks and it's very nice.

BradStokley and skyler_estes_ like this.
  6. Quickicks

It's Bourbon :wink:

IPAIsaac likes this.
  7. MarcWP

MarcWP Initiate (0) Dec 2, 2012 Arizona

I'm certain he was talking about the Brandy since the last time it was released was 2005, and now the 2011. His friend "picked it up" over the weekend so sounds like he purchased it which would make it almost certainly the 2011 Brandy. I think he just picked the wrong pic to use for the 05' :wink:

8. Quickicks

Old Stock Reserve 2005 was bourbon barrel aged, not brandy. Look at the label in the picture.

"A 2005 Old Stock Cellar Reserve:

I'm a certified Old Stock junkie and couldn't find this inaugural offering when she first hit the market ....... till now. My buddy picked on up over the weekend and I should have her in a glass come Monday!"

Just because he said "picked up" doesn't mean he found it on the shelf. He could have traded for it or bought one through one of the email lists or other unmentionable websites.

Further reason to believe he was talking about the 05, he clearly called it the inaugural offering. Makes since being that the 05 was the first bottling of the reserve series correct? There wasn't an 07, 09 was bourbon, 11 is brandy. If there is an 05 brandy, its not pictured and I haven't seen one. Been researching these because a friend of mine and myself are trying to put together a full vert plus all the variants. The 05 and any reg pre 05 seem to be the tough ones to land.

Cheers!

9. Quickicks

10. SeanBond

SeanBond Pooh-Bah (2,880) Jul 30, 2013 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

For me it's either King Henry or BCBS Rare, aka the two beers that come up in every thread about the best BA Stouts/Barleywines, as the standard to which all others are compared.

11. ACGypsy

ACGypsy Initiate (0) Mar 24, 2014 Texas

I am new to craft beers and don't qualify to be a 'whale hunter' because I have not put in the time or effort yet.

But I would sure like to try...
    Lawsons DS
    Heady Topper
    PTY

12. AnalogErik

AnalogErik Initiate (0) Jul 23, 2013 Minnesota

I want a beer from every continent. Like, local beers, not the distributed in the US stuff. I'm almost there, but I need one of the research labs on Antarctica to attempt their own brew.

13. cacostaj

cacostaj Initiate (0) Feb 15, 2013 Florida

I've been extremely lucky to have had most of the "white whales" out there, mostly thanks to an amazing tasting group i'm a part of and the extreme generosity of people i've come across at bottle shares, festivals, gatherings etc. With that said I can think of a few elusive beers at this point that i'll most likely get to try this year. Izzy & CCK are on the top of my most wanted list, along with Bourbon & Whiskey Huna (cracking a AB Huna soon with some friends). I'm sure there are a few more I just can't think of them at the moment

14. nophunk

nophunk Initiate (0) Nov 27, 2011 Louisiana

I had it at a tasting and made it a personal mission to find one. It took a while, but I did.

Fou was a personal whale for a while. I acquired a 2013 bottle when they recently hit the states.

Besides a lot of the lambic that is crazy hard to land, I think my next one is a West Ashley. I will be gunning for one after this next release whenever that may be.

Fuzzy is the newest to grab my attention. I think I can land one with what I have and feel comfortable trading.

15. cultclassic89

cultclassic89 Initiate (0) Oct 19, 2013 Texas

Well, it was Jester King's Cerveza de Tempranillo, but I drank it!

So I guess now it'd either be my second bottle of Montmorency vs. Balaton, or 2013 Abyss. Not terribly rare, but I'm happy with it.

16. Dirty25

Dirty25 Initiate (0) Jan 22, 2012 Germany

Wow now I feel special having had that brew. Someone shared it with me at a tasting last year. It was still really good then. I can't wait for Love Child 4! Distribute tons to AR so my friends can hook me up!

17. KevSal

KevSal Pooh-Bah (2,916) Oct 17, 2010 California
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Royal Oil, but i honestly havnt been in heavy pursuit. Trying to track one down seems like an extremely difficult task.

K13 is what ive really been after and hitting it hard but havnt been able to make a deal. Ive heard really good thigns about it but ive also heard its not worht the asking price. unfortunatley for me I want to find out myself haha.

Leon, which ive been after since before the release

and ofcourse BAVDL, which has alluded me for the past 4 years! hopefully soon ill actually be able to finally try some

18. Goblinmunkey7

Goblinmunkey7 Maven (1,480) Dec 24, 2007 Massachusetts
    Trader

It's a small list:

Peche n' Brett
    Fou Foune
    Kern River Citra
    VSB
    Any of the JK fruit beers

19. jokermanboy

jokermanboy Initiate (0) Apr 5, 2013 Florida

Cable car kriek

20. soundscience

soundscience Initiate (0) Dec 13, 2010 New York

Anything Cantillon :slight_frown:

Determined to track down a bottle for my birthday this year!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.