CANBIF Spring 2014 - Hint and hauls

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Phyl21ca, May 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Phyl21ca

Phyl21ca Grand Pooh-Bah (5,110) Jun 26, 2003 Canada (QC)
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I'll start:

I like (good) beer!!!

Rutager, mtomlins and FondueVoodoo like this.
  2. JonnyBeers

JonnyBeers Savant (1,187) Oct 24, 2012 Canada (BC)

Building off the main thread, here's what we get in BC, just to make things interesting :grinning:

[​IMG]
    Quebec - We also get or have had most of the regular DDC releases, and TM will soon be coming with 3-4 bottles from what I heard. Probably not their limited Hors Série. Have seen some Charlevoix stuff but it's usually old.
    Ontario - I don't think we get much of anything. Millstreet & Steamwhistle? Woo! Oh we do get Muskoka now.
    Manitoba - Half Pints but they've since disappeared. Didn't get anything fancy anyways. The Fort Garry stuff makes it's way here as they're owned by Russell.
    Saskatchewan - I believe some Paddock Wood, just the very basics.
    Alberta - Alberta makes beer? :slight_smile: Actually Big Rock is opening their own brewery here! ...
    Maritimes - again, not much out here. I believe the occasional Garrison

Tmappin and FondueVoodoo like this.
  3. Lurkaholic

Lurkaholic Initiate (0) Jun 14, 2013 Canada (BC)

Hello, poor long suffering BA who's been selected to send me a box.

Firstly, may I please apologise for having zero hads, zero wants, and zero reviews. I'm aware this makes your job horribly difficult. Perhaps you're considering looking me up on untappd, or seeing if I have a profile on RB that you can stalk? Let me save you the time - I have nothing useful on either of them. I'm sorry! Please don't worry too much about it - I love sours, saisons, farmhouse things, big stouts, and generally most barrel aged things. But really, anything is fine.

Statistically speaking, you are probably from QC or ON. Here's some tailored advice:

* Quebecois? You guys have so much good stuff. DDC and TDD we get good access to here, but beyond that it's wide open. I've really enjoyed Dunham in the past, as well as LTM and other La Castor bottlings. I'm game for anything.

* Ontario? I got a bunch of bellwoods stuff a few months back when I visited TO, and adored it all. More bellwoods would be awesome. Also, I've heard good things about BTP's recent bottlings, and haven't had any of their recent ones. But I'm sure there's more to ON than that...

* Somewhere else? No idea. Beyond those two provinces all I've really tried is Half Pints, which were universally great.

Lastly - FondueVoodoo is going to be taking care of my box for me while I'm on vacation, so please don't include anything that's too perishable as I won't be getting access to it until sometime in July.

FondueVoodoo likes this.
  4. seblp

seblp Initiate (0) Feb 9, 2010 Canada (QC)

My wants are up to date and my favorite styles are on my profile. It's always fun to try some local hidden gems so don't hesitate if you can find good beers that are not on my wants list!

5. KeKeKumba

KeKeKumba Initiate (0) May 5, 2011 Canada (ON)

I'm easy, send whatever you want. I don't keep my wants up to date, sorry.

My only advisory is that if you're in Quebec, I am in Ottawa and have easy access to all the regular shelf stuff.

Feel free to check me out on Untappd - https://untappd.com/user/KeKeKumba - I'm cool with things I've had before, don't worry about that.

6. papat444

papat444 Initiate (0) Dec 28, 2006 Canada (QC)

Unlike Lurkaholic, my wants and reviews are up to date :stuck_out_tongue::wink:

Would prefer to have beers that i haven't reviewed yet. My wants are super up to date but if not attainable, no worries! I like everything but have a soft spot for stouts, sours, saisons and IPAs (if fresh).

FondueVoodoo likes this.
  7. iguenard

iguenard Zealot (594) Jan 30, 2006 Canada (QC)
    Trader

I am not difficult on style but make sure its good beer. I am not a ticker by any means. I love Bellwoods, lambics, american hopping, strong and-or barrel aged beers. But loving Gose and berliner weisse recently. Feel free to add a glass in the box if you want to. I wear large size clothing. I home-brew so open to yours a well. And if you send me White Birch, I will hunt you down, I WILL find you, and I will end you :slight_smile:

FondueVoodoo likes this.
  8. iguenard

iguenard Zealot (594) Jan 30, 2006 Canada (QC)
    Trader

Got my target. Already had been shopping, and won't need to change anything since finding out who the lucky person is. Sours, fresh hops, and a little something special to make you go "Get OUTAHERE". Fun times.

Rutager and FondueVoodoo like this.
  9. seblp

seblp Initiate (0) Feb 9, 2010 Canada (QC)

First hint: my BA membership anniversary is really close to my target's membership anniversary.

FondueVoodoo likes this.
  10. Rutager

Rutager Initiate (0) Oct 18, 2010 Canada (BC)

Send me whatever you think is tasty and would like to receive yourself. It's cool if I've had it before (as long as I didn't rate it terribly or something ...even then it would be kinda funny! lol), many of my wants are tough to hit.

Really not a fan of most Hefe's, winter warmers, boring brown or amber ales, and many dubbles/tripples/quads/etc. Interesting is good, boring and mediocre, bad. :wink:

Fav styles are IPAs, saisons, sours and wilds.

11. Soods

Soods Devotee (301) Oct 12, 2009 Canada (ON)

Pretty much anything that's a good beer will be good with me. Tend to lean to the IPA's, Stouts, Impy Stouts, and Sours, but almost any style will do.

12. Kump

Kump Initiate (0) May 23, 2013 Canada (BC)

Alright, my wants are small but accurate enough on here, but a much more comprehensive list is here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AvYVyJKumYrYdHJuVl9JUFFMRjl6YWljaE1LUzFmY3c&usp=sharing

Don't have any style prefs… love em all.

Some Canadian beers I've acquired recently through store or trade:

QC: As is pointed out we get lots of DDC and TDD, and I've got the BA versions of DDC stuff in trades. Barely had any Dunham besides a bottle of red sashes I have inbound. Got some Castors too but don't let that stop you :stuck_out_tongue:

ON: Only had a couple of Bellwoods (Motley, No Sleep, Lambda, and Donkey Venom)

SK: Have a couple Paddocks… Loki, 1000 Monkeys, Bete Noire

Maritimes: Have a few garrisons (IIPA, Test Batch IPA, Belgian Strong), and Vicar's Cross

MB/AB: Haven't really had much of anything!

Don't worry about repeats though, I'm totally happy to get them! And my wants might not cover a lot of breweries, so if you know about some great local stuff I don't have in there, by all means throw it in!

Super excited!!!

FondueVoodoo likes this.
  13. FondueVoodoo

FondueVoodoo Initiate (0) Feb 12, 2012 Canada (BC)

Everyone should have their target by now. If you haven't received your target, please let me and Phil know ASAP.

If anyone requires a signature on delivery (receipt) of their box, PLEASE LET US KNOW ASAP.

14. Kump

Kump Initiate (0) May 23, 2013 Canada (BC)

First Hint(s)

I'm shipping to two targets, from two provinces that are side by side, both south of me.

15. FondueVoodoo

My wants are up to date (although I would consider this more of a wish list than a want list) as are my gots (which is the list of beers I have yet to drink & review).

I am generally open to trying anything, especially small micro brews that are not available out west. My favourites are Belgian styles (tripels, quads, saisons), IPA's/DIPA's, RIS and anything unique. Only style I am not really into are big sours, but I do like brett, gose and some more midler wild ales.

I generally review everything I try so if I haven't reviewed it (or list it as a got) then chances are I've never had it.

I've had (or have) 43 of the top Canadian 50 - the following are what I'm missing:

•3 Minutes to Midnight - Bellwoods
    •Dominus Vobiscum Brut - Microbrasserie Charlevoix
    •La Beteuse Brassin Special (Barrel Aged) - Le Trou du Diable
    •Imperial IPA - Garrison
    •Roman Candle - Bellwoods
    •Black Galaxy - Half Pints
    •RPA (Rye Pale Ale) - Camerons

16. bylerteck

bylerteck Grand Pooh-Bah (3,143) May 17, 2009 Canada (ON)
    Pooh-Bah Society

My style likes/dislikes are on my profile page. Also typically like to receive things I haven't tried before.

17. FondueVoodoo

Marshmallows to the person who sends iguenard a case of White Birch

mtomlins and Kump like this.
  18. Phyl21ca

Phyl21ca Grand Pooh-Bah (5,110) Jun 26, 2003 Canada (QC)
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I really like White Birch (and I promise I will share with Ian at our next tasting:wink:)

mtomlins likes this.
  19. papat444

A la fut for this guy!

mtomlins and Rutager like this.
  20. papat444

You can cross one off, didn't you say that you have Bretteuse in BC? :grinning:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.