Kauai, HI

Discussion in 'Pacific' started by danwho, May 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. danwho

danwho Initiate (0) Feb 18, 2010 California

Going there for a week. Any craft available?
    Cheers and mahalo.

2. dcgunman

dcgunman Pooh-Bah (2,608) Jul 1, 2009 California
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Kauai Beer Company in Lihue

Ford and stawn like this.
  3. walterfredo

walterfredo Savant (1,032) Nov 22, 2011 California
    Trader

Was just there. Best selection I found was Living Foods in Poipu and The Wine Garden in Lihue

4. aquazr1

aquazr1 Maven (1,325) Jul 27, 2013 California

Do a search for Kauai, I did right before I left for my current trip. Kauai Beer in Lihue and Kauai Island Brewing in Port Allen are the only breweries. The Feral Pig, Kalapaki Joe's and Kalypso Restaurant seem to have the best available on tap. You will find that Deshutes, Maui brewing, Kona brewing and Big Island Brewing are your normal finds.

theperk and dcgunman like this.
  5. FrogOut69

FrogOut69 Initiate (0) Sep 24, 2013 California
    Trader

Feral Pig.

MontereyBay831 likes this.
  6. walterfredo

Trader

I'd avoid kalapaki joes, that place sucks. Keoki's Paradise is a better option if you're in poipu, IMO.

7. aquazr1

Will have to check them out this week. Thanks for the heads up on Kalapaki Joe's, hadn't been there yet was only going by other comments. I have been to Feral Pig and Kalypso.

8. danwho

danwho Initiate (0) Feb 18, 2010 California

Ok guys, thanks for the info.

9. MontereyBay831

MontereyBay831 Zealot (610) Dec 15, 2012 California
    Trader

Awesome! Glad I saw this. I was born in Lihue, (Wilcox hospital) and I'm going there tomorrow the 12th-16th. Thanks for the info guys!!!

10. aquazr1

Stopped at the Wine Garden today which had a nice selection including Sculpin and Idiot IPA. On the way back to the North shore I decided to stop at the Princeville Wine Market and he had an even bigger selection. The first thing I saw was Elijah Craig Eclipse. I'm guessing the wine shops use the same distributor so they would be your best choices for a bottle shop.

11. stawn

stawn Initiate (0) Sep 16, 2008 California

Kauai Island Brewing is a definite must stop. We got to know the head brewer, Dave, who is a very nice guy. Loves to talk beer & will gladly show you the (small) brewhouse if you're into that. Tell him Chris from San Diego says hello!

12. July2Nov

July2Nov Initiate (0) Aug 27, 2006 Virginia

Kauai Beer Co. Is the best brewery on that island, hands down. Try to go on Thursday when they have the food trucks. Oh, & buy a growler to go.

AirborneBeer likes this.
  13. walterfredo

Trader

Kauai beer co will fill any growler, FYI. They have odd hours so make sure you check before going.

14. aquazr1

Kalypso was a disappointment. Haven't found any decent tap selections on the North shore.

15. walterfredo

Trader

That place was the best we ran into on the north shore for taps, not a lot of options in Hanalei. I didn't care for kalypso, the crowd or the employees. Peek your head in at Hanalei Gourmet across the street, may have better options and definitely less of the tommy bahama crowd.

16. flag8r

flag8r Initiate (0) Nov 7, 2009 Florida

Bumping this to see what's around at retail in Kauai. Thanks!

Ford likes this.
  17. Ford

Ford Initiate (0) Sep 8, 2012 Texas

Yep... getting to go to Kauai in August... very excited.... will have a fridge... so I'll look for Princeville Wine Market.. we are staying in Lihue so Kauai Beer Company will be a must stop.

18. 01Ryan10

01Ryan10 Initiate (0) Sep 10, 2011 California

Put a mixed case of brews on the plane with you.

19. Ford

Ford Initiate (0) Sep 8, 2012 Texas

Packed 8 cans with me to start...... will try to post if/where I find the good stuff... thanks for the advice everyone. Man.. it's early here in Houston... leaving for airport now.

20. dcgunman

dcgunman Pooh-Bah (2,608) Jul 1, 2009 California
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Take some cans to Kauai Beer Co in Lihue and share with the owner and his son (head brewer). Great guys. Great brewery.
    Aloha.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.