Bell's Roll-Out In San Diego

Discussion in 'Pacific' started by MichaelGV, May 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SpecialAgentDaleCooper

SpecialAgentDaleCooper Initiate (0) Aug 27, 2013 California

Anyone else underwhelmed by Two Hearted? Mine was a little older, though. I'd be interested in tasting fresh TH.

jrnyc likes this.
  2. MiScusi

MiScusi Pooh-Bah (1,741) Feb 12, 2005 California
    Pooh-Bah

Wasn't it just shipped out in the last couple weeks? How old was it?? That would have been stupid by Bell's to ship product out that wasn't brand sprankin new off the bottling line.

I've had Two Hearted a few times. The first time was in the mid 2000's and the guy shipped me old bottles, I thought where were the hops??? The next bottle I got in a trade was crisp, hoppy and delicious. But after having it on tap back east a couple times I came to realize that compared to some of the beers we can get locally it doesn't really measure into the top tier, but it is fairly good.

3. SpecialAgentDaleCooper

Bottling date was 4/15. Had it yesterday. Probably wouldn't buy it again if it were a known quantity, but I'm definitely going to give it a few more tries; hopefully I'll hit on something fresher. I look forward to trying their Oberon and Kalamazoo

4. 395er

395er Initiate (0) Apr 29, 2011 California

Two Hearted showed up at Texas Liquor in Carlsbad. $12.99 a six pack of bottles. I've had it once before, but it was old, 2-3 months, and I know I wasn't getting the true experience. That said, the bottles today were packaged on 4/17, so I passed. Between the age and the lackluster reviews, I figured it was best to wait to try it on tap.

5. crbooher

crbooher Initiate (0) Apr 8, 2010 California

I am going to be in SD this Saturday and I have two questions:

1. Is Bell's stuff available at lots of shops there now, or just a few?
    2. Is Oberon available, or just other offerings?

Thanks!

6. jrnyc

jrnyc Pooh-Bah (2,988) Mar 21, 2010 New York
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

This stuff came to Long Island recently, I was completely underwhelmed also. With all of the awesome beer in San Diego I would never drink TH.

7. imyourhero21

imyourhero21 Maven (1,354) Oct 9, 2011 California
    Trader

Most bottle shops in sd got bells. Oberon is one of the beers they sent out. Shouldnt be hard to find at all

crbooher likes this.
  8. 395er

A friend who's a brewer once said when I asked about Two Hearted "You have to remember, it's an older style IPA" meaning it was a benchmark at one time, but a considerable time ago in craft history. Especially compared to current hop profiles, and even more so here in San Diego. It'll be interesting to follow how well they do in this market. I can't even drink enough of the new breweries' offerings I already love here.

9. MiScusi

Pooh-Bah

Wait, bottled 3 weeks ago???? I mean, I'm about as bad as it gets when it comes to only purchasing IPA's I know are fresh, but 3 weeks is nothing. That $12.99 price tag OTOH.... I'd grab St. Archer IPA for a few bucks less.

10. 395er

I'm normally not a bottling date cop, but with this beer, I think it's already going to be mild tasting. Frankly, I just wasn't motivated. And I've got a long list of local and non-local beers I grab before Saint Archer. ;-)

11. JimN8916

JimN8916 Devotee (380) Jan 31, 2014 California
    Trader

Two hearted/Midwestern/Amber/Oberon/Porter/Kalamazoo on tap at Encinitas Ale House.

395er likes this.
  12. mrkrispy

mrkrispy Initiate (0) Apr 5, 2006 California

I like Two Hearted, and was excited to get it in San Diego because we still don't have a lot of decent IPAs in 12oz format. That being said, Two Hearted is definitely an "older style" American IPA in a west coast vein (like Big Eye, GF WC IPA, etc). That was exemplary 10 years ago, but now days in San Diego, not so much. Most of the country is still in the malty-leaning side of IPAs so I understand why it is so popular. Until we can get Pliny, Societe, Rip Current, Alpine, and Bagby stuff in 6 packs this will be a nice option (especially if Port pint cans are out of date)

13. MiScusi

Pooh-Bah

You joke about em but their IPA's are tasty!!

HopHead84 likes this.
  14. Alexgnarcia

Alexgnarcia Initiate (0) May 13, 2012 California

+1
    I grabbed a six pack of cans last week and was pleasantly surprised

MiScusi likes this.
  15. HeavySpeedway

HeavySpeedway Initiate (0) Jul 8, 2013 California

Most people may have gotten passe on white ale, but St. Archer's is as good as anybody's IMO. They make decent beer.

16. ryno09

ryno09 Pundit (811) May 1, 2010 California

I haven't tried everything from them but their white ale is spot on for a witbier. Wish I was drinking one right now with this miserable warm weather we are having.

Eriktheipaman and MiScusi like this.
  17. SpecialAgentDaleCooper

Their white and their blonde/kolsch are both pretty good. They ain't world-beaters over there, but it's definitely a solid pick-up absent other options.

18. ryno09

Back to Bell's.... I'm just going to wait till I'm at the source in early June. I look forward to having fresh Two Hearted at the source. I might buy a sixer here if it's reasonably fresh and I'm looking for something different.

19. Saxmusik45

Saxmusik45 Initiate (0) Nov 18, 2011 California

If you're going to be in Michigan, try to get your hand on some Dark Horse Brewing Crooked Tree IPA. I think that's the best Michigan IPA I've been able to try in my many visits.

skawars1 likes this.
  20. ryno09

Will do!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.